Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Digital Photography

Old 05-05-2014, 12:22 AM   #1
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Macro photography practice - Metal Earth Mars Rover

Nikon D600 with AF-S Micro Nikkor 105mm 1:2.8 G ED

I did a little experimenting with macro photography today. I used the Fascinations Metal Earth Mars Rover model kit that I just finish building. The small size and highly reflective surface made this challenging. I 'm still practicing on minimizing the depth of field at is really shallow with this lens.

And about the Mars Rover kit, it has about 70 laser cut parts that require bending, folding and shaping. This is the second Mars Rover I built. I gave the first one to a friend at work who is a member of the local chapter of the Mars Society so I thought she'd get a kick out of it. About 4 to 5 hours total to make.

jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
WickedlNl
Kindly Asked To Leave

I like the fact that you are using it on a static object as someone would for a portrait. Though for me at least, the reason what I always loved about macro is being able to get up close and after photographing, discovering the tiny details in the material and shape since it is impossible to get an effect like that with any other lense. However if you prefer to do this kind of shots Id suggest you buy an 85mm 1.8G lense. Huge DOF, beautiful bokeh and extremely sharp.
WickedlNl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
BGMchocolate
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Bending, shaping, and folding for such a tiny model? Wow, you have amazing dexterity and patience. Nice pictures of the excellent handiwork!
BGMchocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #4
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

I have patience until i lose a piece. when i built the first one, a small antenna popped out of the pliers. constant cursing for about 20 minutes until I found it. so much for being an exercise in patience.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote