Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-11-2020, 02:14 AM   #21
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

I read some of doomsday clock and it wasn't very good... I was reading it digitally but droped it at issue 4 or something... How Geoff Johns writes Batman is just too dumb... New Rorshach's back story was bad... I wanted to like him but i just didn't care about him with such a lackluster dumb back story.

Everyone was waiting for Superman vs Captain Blue penis... pfft... what chance superman has against Manhattan... i mean come on...
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:22 AM   #22
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Thanks Gothamite
Forgot about those Graphic novels
And I do not read the book but I believe Young Justice had a storyline dealing with the multiverse as well
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:02 AM   #23
abubakarhimself
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
If it was your gateway to DC comics, then you must not have read them before and not have experienced what made them great when Dennis O’Neil, Neal Adams, Roger Stern, Geoff Johns, John Byrne and so many others were telling great character driven stories. Rebranding works when it advances the brand, not when it reinvents the brand into something no one recognizes.
Yep I did not and never had the intention to explore those stories but because I was roped in by the new 52, I did!

While we are using 'new 52' as a blanket term for all the books in the reboot, I'll have to be honest, I didn't read all them - Only Snyder's Batman, Johns's run on Lantern, Aquaman, his the first arch on the Justice League, Dial H, I, Vampire and Morrison's Action Comics.

Art is immortal and even without the luxury of modern technology, those stories can be revisited over and over so they will never truly die. If the one of the objectives of the reboot, as touted by Lee et all during the launch was to bring new fans into the fold, then as one of those new fans, I'll have to say that they've succeeded.

But I am not in any way trying to dismiss your opinion. As a former rabid Starwars fan, I completely understand

Also my favourite part of the new 52 was Superman's new suit
abubakarhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #24
abubakarhimself
Justice League

There a bit in superman earth one (Volume 2 I think) which brought me to tears.
abubakarhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:27 AM   #25
risingstar
Jedi Order

The new 52 serves as compelling commentary on what works, what doesn't work, and how out of touch some DC Execs are on both. Also, while I do my best not to drown others in my personal politics, the entertainment media has largely chosen to do the opposite which I think has ultimately served to hurt to medium.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:34 AM   #26
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Also, while I do my best not to drown others in my personal politics, the entertainment media has largely chosen to do the opposite which I think has ultimately served to hurt to medium.
Bingo!
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:08 AM   #27
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
Fully agree
And if Jim Lee cannot fully take the reins and go running with it let’s hope they get somebody good in that position

I would love to see Geoff John’s do it but unfortunately I don’t think that would be an option since he is on more of the television entertainment side and he can’t even produce a book on a monthly basis though I have always liked everything I’ve ever read of his

Personally who I would love to see would be Karen Berger. She has knowledge of the DC universe yet I do think she has somebody who can be very innovative as well just look at everything she did with Vertigo.
I wouldn’t be surprised if ATT&T put their own person in there
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #28
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink View Post
I wouldn’t be surprised if ATT&T put their own person in there
The comics publishing divisions at AT&T (DC) and Disney (Marvel) generate miniscule revenue in the grand scheme of their parents' portfolios. At this point, DC and Marvel are really publishing just to keep the IP "live" and "current". From a business standpoint, it almost doesn't matter who is running DC or Marvel.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #29
Dark-Flux
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Meh, New 52 brought some good runs and some bad. Most of it mediocre. Same as any other period of DCs comics. It aint like pre-Flashpoint was all peaches and cream. You've always had to dig to find the good stuff.

And good runs out last the bad. I'm reading Jeff Lemires Animal Man Omnibus right now, and its great. Does it matter now that it was part of the same initiative that brought Liefelds Hawkman or Lobdells Superboy? Nope.
Dark-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote