Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-01-2020, 09:26 PM   #601
risingstar
Jedi Order

Immortal Hulk TPB volume 4 - collects issues 16-20 -- 5/10

While there were elements of this superbly drawn trade collection that I enjoyed (e.g., the return of Mr. Fixit), the greater majority of this story arc bordered on ridiculous. The writers have made the Hulk completely unkillable. You could remove his heart, chop off his head, slice him into pieces, and fry him into a husk with acid and he just rests on the next page like nothing happened... And, his LSD-trip-like dream sequences which take place every two or three issues are so utterly stupid and not nearly as clever as the writer clearly seems to think... Ugggh.

Okay, I've given this series enough of my time. I'm done. I'll hanging this one up. I gave this a 5, even though the story did not resonate with me at all, because the artwork is fabulous. I look forward to seeing this artist work on anything else.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #602
Asgard
Deadman

Need a little help.

I read Batman Hush a few months ago (great Story, 8/10)

Now I'm reading Gotham City Sirens. In this comic, I read that Catwoman's heart was torn out by Hush. Zatanna fixed it. Can anyone tell me what comic this is?
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:08 PM   #603
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
Need a little help.

I read Batman Hush a few months ago (great Story, 8/10)

Now I'm reading Gotham City Sirens. In this comic, I read that Catwoman's heart was torn out by Hush. Zatanna fixed it. Can anyone tell me what comic this is?
The Story which you are talking about might be ''Batman: Heart of Hush'' but Zatanna didn't fix Catwoman's heart in that story. Yet, it's an amazing story which i would recommand highly.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:23 PM   #604
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Hellstorm by Warren Ellis - I have the original issues published in the 90s, but never got around to reading them as they got filed away and I forgot about them. Then the TV show was announced so I bought the omnibus of the Ellis run. I pulled out the pre-Ellis issues from my archives and read those first--mediocre 90s occult stuff, bleh--but Ellis and artist Leonardo Manco take over wih issue 12 and wowza. This was incredible work by the pair. The story suffered sadly from the series being prematurely canceled at issue 21--although the later Doctor Druid limited series (also included here) made a nice epilogue. And reading this hardcover made me remember why I bought the comics decades ago in the first place: very cool seeing the likeness of Carl McCoy from Fields of the Nephilim used for Daimon Hellstrom for one issue. Recommended if you're looking for a smart horror title.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #605
Asgard
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
The Story which you are talking about might be ''Batman: Heart of Hush'' but Zatanna didn't fix Catwoman's heart in that story. Yet, it's an amazing story which i would recommand highly.
Thank you very very much
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:26 PM   #606
risingstar
Jedi Order

I finally got around to scratching this off my comics reading bucket list. This 500+ page collection features the entire 1-18 issue run of "Monster of Frankenstein" plus appearances in Monsters Unleashed B&W magazine, Marvel Team Up, and other books.

The first six issues written/plotted/penciled by Gary Friedrich and Mike Ploog were fabulous. Loved them. However, once the initial (and drawn out) plotline was more or less resolved by issue 12, the book struggled to find it's footing and became unmemorable really quickly. It had a lot of potential too.

Issues 1-12 rating 8/10
Issues 13-18 rating 3/10
Monsters Unleashed issues 2-10 rating 3/10
Marvel Team Up issues 36-37 rating 3/10

risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:20 AM   #607
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I finally got around to scratching this off my comics reading bucket list. This 500+ page collection features the entire 1-18 issue run of "Monster of Frankenstein" plus appearances in Monsters Unleashed B&W magazine, Marvel Team Up, and other books.

The first six issues written/plotted/penciled by Gary Friedrich and Mike Ploog were fabulous. Loved them. However, once the initial (and drawn out) plotline was more or less resolved by issue 12, the book struggled to find it's footing and became unmemorable really quickly. It had a lot of potential too.

Issues 1-12 rating 8/10
Issues 13-18 rating 3/10
Monsters Unleashed issues 2-10 rating 3/10
Marvel Team Up issues 36-37 rating 3/10

I read these as a kid, had the Essential book, and now have this trade. Love it for the first 12 issues, as you note, RS.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:12 AM   #608
Dark-Flux
A day without sunshine is like... night.

7/10 - Great art from Bliss. Very tactile and and great use of colour-work to define lighting and mood.

A relatively reserved story from Jodowrowsky, which doesnt break the mould and maybe falls into a few trope-traps, but is nevertheless a compelling and well told story.
Dark-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:56 PM   #609
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Action Comics/Superman since Bendis started as the writer - 2/10.

Bendis was great on Alias and Daredevil. His run on Avengers was pretty ground breaking and I really enjoyed it. But Superman, like Fantastic Four, really suffers when the writer just is not a good fit for and/or just doesn’t understand the core characters.

Enter Bendis. His plotting, story progression, character development and writing style just is a complete mismatch for Superman. He’s boring, plodding and dull here. The sooner he’s off these books the better.

IMHO.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #610
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Action Comics/Superman since Bendis started as the writer - 2/10.

IMHO.
Hmm. Was actually going to give new comics a try. Starting with this and Tom King Batman. All my buddies told me to stay away though. Especially the Tom King stuff.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote