Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-10-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Dan Didio: Regrets Not Developing New 52 Enough

https://www.newsarama.com/49784-dan-...he-new-52.html

I wish he said his biggest regret was not rolling out New 52 in the first place.

I’m not at all against change, but most of these characters were unrecognizable and, regardless of it initial speculative sales surge, this line as a whole was terrible. Standouts in quality include Batman, I Vampire and Aquaman, but due to excellent storytelling that was consistent with and enhanced the characters. Most of the character work in New 52 was unrecognizable and flat. It died the death it deserved, IMHO.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post

I wish he said his biggest regret was not rolling out New 52 in the first place.

I’m not at all against change, but most of these characters were unrecognizable and, regardless of it initial speculative sales surge, this line as a whole was terrible. Standouts in quality include Batman, I Vampire and Aquaman, but due to excellent storytelling that was consistent with and enhanced the characters. Most of the character work in New 52 was unrecognizable and flat. It died the death it deserved, IMHO.
I know that a lot of people who read comics for decades hated the New 52 -- fine.

It's been replaced by DC Rebirth, which after a promising start has become quite disastrous.

Wonder Woman -- the Greg Rucka run was so bad that I stopped reading it. I pick and choose which story arcs to follow now.

Aquaman -- It was okay for a while but went completely off the rails when Arthur got stranded on an island and lost his memory.

Suicide Squad -- canceled, re-configured, TBD

Red Hood and the Outlaws -- awful costume re-design, Artemis and Bizarro vanished

Nightwing -- truly WTF

Batwoman -- brought back and canceled

Supergirl -- canceled, brought back, and canceled again

Birds of Prey -- brought back and canceled because the sisters who wrote it fundamentally didn't understand the characters

Green Arrow -- canceled (why???)

Catwoman -- Joelle Jones is a great artist but nowhere near as good as a writer.

Batgirl -- I still enjoy reading it, but some recent story arcs have been iffy.

Batman -- Probably my favorite Rebirth title, but I know some forum members don't like the Tom King run.

Detective Comics -- what a mess

Bendis -- Oof, I can't hear or see his name without feeling sick.

So in comparison, I prefer the New 52 and DC You era.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:30 PM   #3
abubakarhimself
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post

Not only was the new 52 my gateway into the dc comics, it got me reading comics again. One can point to so many factors for it’s demise but fact of the matter is, like many other rebranding exercises before it and many more after, it just ran it’s course.
abubakarhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:37 PM   #4
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by abubakarhimself View Post
Not only was the new 52 my gateway into the dc comics, it got me reading comics again. One can point to so many factors for it’s demise but fact of the matter is, like many other rebranding exercises before it and many more after, it just ran it’s course.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #5
Mister H
Green Goblin

DC and Marvel both need to die, for a while at least. Having restart after restart and canceled titles brought back over and over just to be canceled again is old. Do a “few” mini series here and there with known sellers like Batman or Spider Man for a few years.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
Mister H
Green Goblin

....and Didio was terrible. There may have been a few good titles he was responsible for but if you throw enough $#!+ on the wall, something is bound to stick.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:01 PM   #7
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Change is a good thing when appliade right. new 52 change was a bad change. Didio is out of the picture is a good change.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:35 PM   #8
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
Change is a good thing when appliade right. new 52 change was a bad change. Didio is out of the picture is a good change.
Fully agree
And if Jim Lee cannot fully take the reins and go running with it let’s hope they get somebody good in that position

I would love to see Geoff John’s do it but unfortunately I don’t think that would be an option since he is on more of the television entertainment side and he can’t even produce a book on a monthly basis though I have always liked everything I’ve ever read of his

Personally who I would love to see would be Karen Berger. She has knowledge of the DC universe yet I do think she has somebody who can be very innovative as well just look at everything she did with Vertigo.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:37 PM   #9
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abubakarhimself View Post
To each his own. It ran its course before it started, IMHO.

And, speaking as a CMO for decades, I agree with you this was a rebranding attempt. A brand is a promise of an experience, all of which leads to a reputation. It’s not just packaging, it’s the product itself. In this case, like New Coke from the 1980s, New 52 was poorly conceived and strove to replicate its competition without being true to its own differentiating core value proposition. If it was your gateway to DC comics, then you must not have read them before and not have experienced what made them great when Dennis O’Neil, Neal Adams, Roger Stern, Geoff Johns, John Byrne and so many others were telling great character driven stories. Rebranding works when it advances the brand, not when it reinvents the brand into something no one recognizes.

Last edited by wktf; 04-10-2020 at 07:48 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:40 PM   #10
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I just think the bad thing with the whole new 52 is that DC was already starting to relaunch a revamp characters and books after blackest night and it’s two spin off maxi series. I just think it was a shame that they weren’t able to continue with what they developed and I still wonder when the Flash was re-launched it alluded to flashpoint but I wonder what the original plot for flashpoint was
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote