Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-10-2020, 07:47 PM   #11
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
Fully agree
And if Jim Lee cannot fully take the reins and go running with it let’s hope they get somebody good in that position

I would love to see Geoff John’s do it but unfortunately I don’t think that would be an option since he is on more of the television entertainment side and he can’t even produce a book on a monthly basis though I have always liked everything I’ve ever read of his
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
To each his own. It ran its course before it started, IMHO.
Quote:
I just think the bad thing with the whole new 52 is that DC was already starting to relaunch a revamp characters and books after blackest night and it’s two spin off maxi series. I just think it was a shame that they weren’t able to continue with what they developed and I still wonder when the Flash was re-launched it alluded to flashpoint but I wonder what the original plot for flashpoint was
Well, Geoff Johns wrote Flashpoint, which rebooted the DC Universe. Was DC supposed to have stopped publishing and ceased to exist at that point?

Btw, Johns was the Chief Creative Officer before he was one of the casualties of the fallout from BvS. I don't like Didio, either, but he doesn't get all the blame for everything that might've gone wrong.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:39 PM   #12
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I know that he wrote flashpoint but flashpoint was alluded to a whole year before the whole new 52 even debuted

That is why I am thinking that there might of been another story for flashpoint but it just became a way for the whole new 52 to debut

I could be wrong

And I don’t know where it was said that DC just should’ve stop publishing at that point either unless I’m missing something

I do think they were good parts about the new 52
wonder woman was very good
green lantern still basically was Green Lantern which was enjoyable
The justice league started off very well though I did object a cyborg being a member
Batgirl got a very good solo strip

I do have to say I did not like the new 52 birds of prey - could not stand Starling. I will say the one thing I did like was the fact that Black Canary could use her sonic cry to fly someone and I was never touched on again which I think was kind of a shame
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:02 PM   #13
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
And I don’t know where it was said that DC just should’ve stop publishing at that point either unless I’m missing something
That part was really directed at wktf, who is trashing New 52 (again, fine, we all like different things) without suggesting an alternative. Rebirth dialed back most of the changes that New 52 made, but I think Rebirth continuity is convoluted and, depending on the title, abysmally written.

Now, if wktf or anyone else is simply nostalgic for pre-New 52 continuity, that's fine too. Those stories still exist and can be read / re-read to their hearts' content.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:12 AM   #14
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Fully agree
And if Jim Lee cannot fully take the reins and go running with it let’s hope they get somebody good in that position

I would love to see Geoff John’s do it but unfortunately I don’t think that would be an option since he is on more of the television entertainment side and he can’t even produce a book on a monthly basis though I have always liked everything I’ve ever read of his

Personally who I would love to see would be Karen Berger. She has knowledge of the DC universe yet I do think she has somebody who can be very innovative as well just look at everything she did with Vertigo.
I don't have anyone in mind for replacemnet. I really like Geoff John's Teen Titans but his Batman Earth One I really liked The Birthday Boy though, they should totally bring him to main Batman book. His JSA was fun as far as i read. His Aquaman was good, but i still don't understand Atlantis were being so helpless against bunch of submarines... Don't Atlantis have their own army ? WTF Aquaman who can hurt Superman with a punch being so helpless against bunch of submarines was kind of not well thought as well though... ıf he can hurt superman, he can punch a hole on a submarine ?!?!?

Ok, sorry this is getting out of context. Geoff Johns would be nice head for DC, i agree.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:25 AM   #15
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

It’s not that I’m nostalgic for pre-New 52. I just prefer to spend my money on good storytelling rather than poor storytelling. I already said that New 52 Batman, I Vampire and Aquaman were well written and drawn. So those are examples of good storytelling. If you’re going to take characters and move them to the point of being unrecognizable then just create new characters. If you think my saying I didn’t like New 52 is trashing it, then I guess I’m trashing it. But I do not just just love older comic books for nostalgia’s sake. There are older stories I love and older stories I can’t stand. I still buy new comics because I look for more good stories. New 52 didn’t work for me. As a line, it was poorly conceived and executed, with some exceptions. It deserved the death it received. To me, it never should have been conceived. Neither should the Spider-Man Clone Saga, but that’s another topic.

Last edited by wktf; 04-11-2020 at 12:29 AM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:44 AM   #16
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
It’s not that I’m nostalgic for pre-New 52. I just prefer to spend my money on good storytelling rather than poor storytelling. I already said that New 52 Batman, I Vampire and Aquaman were well written and drawn. So those are examples of good storytelling. If you’re going to take characters and move them to the point of being unrecognizable then just create new characters. If you think my saying I didn’t like New 52 is trashing it, then I guess I’m trashing it. But I do not just just love older comic books for nostalgia’s sake. There are older stories I love and older stories I can’t stand. I still buy new comics because I look for more good stories. New 52 didn’t work for me. As a line, it was poorly conceived and executed, with some exceptions. It deserved the death it received. To me, it never should have been conceived. Neither should the Spider-Man Clone Saga, but that’s another topic.
Maybe, maybe not, but you and everyone else will have to get used to line-wide reboots. We know from past experience that DC, Marvel, and other companies with a "universe" of characters will revamp their continuities on a regular basis to give themselves a clean slate.

You seem to really hate New 52 -- one more time, fine, but like you already wrote, it's dead. Do you expect it to come back to life so that you can kill it one more time?
Old 04-11-2020, 12:49 AM   #17
Gothamite
Phoenix

Btw, you can read non-continuity stories, too. I didn't like Batman: White Knight, but I recently finished Batman: Curse of the White Knight and enjoyed it quite a bit. Same creative team but much better writing.

The DC Super Hero Girls graphic novels, prose novels, and movies are really good, too, even though they're aimed at younger fans.

I would also recommend the YA Under the Moon: A Catwoman Tale. It's better than what Joelle Jones has written for Rebirth Catwoman.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:24 AM   #18
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Maybe, maybe not, but you and everyone else will have to get used to line-wide reboots. We know from past experience that DC, Marvel, and other companies with a "universe" of characters will revamp their continuities on a regular basis to give themselves a clean slate.

You seem to really hate New 52 -- one more time, fine, but like you already wrote, it's dead. Do you expect it to come back to life so that you can kill it one more time?
I don’t even understand this question. I simply was responding to Didio’s comment about not developing New 52 enough. My point was that it was so ill-conceived it never should have been green-lighted. It’s just my opinion. No, I don’t expect it to come back to life and I didn’t kill it in the first place much less desire to kill it again. I have my opinion, you have yours. No harm, no foul. And I don’t have a problem with line reboots in principle, just when they’re poorly conceived, plotted and executed.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:46 AM   #19
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Well for anybody who read Doomsday Clock One of the parallel earths (and I got the impression it was a new one) is a NU52 earth. I’m hoping once Doomsday Clock is worked into continuity, which apparently they are doing, then I would really like to see DC explore a lot of the parallel earths. Considering they were established at the conclusion of 52 which was over 10 years ago there hasn’t really been a whole whole lot of exploring. Countdown to Final Crisis did it
And grant Morrison did do it with Multiversity and when Jeff johns was writing Justice Society he definitely did it. And I know the recent Freedom Fighters 12 partner obviously did as well. To me there is just so so much untapped potential for great stories on some of these other Earths and I think that this is where DC is missing the boat.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:54 AM   #20
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Well for anybody who read Doomsday Clock One of the parallel earths (and I got the impression it was a new one) is a NU52 earth. I’m hoping once Doomsday Clock is worked into continuity, which apparently they are doing, then I would really like to see DC explore a lot of the parallel earths. Considering they were established at the conclusion of 52 which was over 10 years ago there hasn’t really been a whole whole lot of exploring. Countdown to Final Crisis did it
And grant Morrison did do it with Multiversity and when Jeff johns was writing Justice Society he definitely did it. And I know the recent Freedom Fighters 12 partner obviously did as well. To me there is just so so much untapped potential for great stories on some of these other Earths and I think that this is where DC is missing the boat.
They're publishing Earth 1 graphic novels.

Superman: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_Earth_One

Batman: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Earth_One

Wonder Woman: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman:_Earth_One

Teen Titans: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teen_Titans:_Earth_One

Green Lantern: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Lantern:_Earth_One