Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-16-2020, 09:25 AM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

Comic Shop Withdrawals

Any one else suffering from LCS withdrawals? I know I am with a Wednesday trip to my local comic shop part of my weekly ritual since I used to go on Saturdays for new comics. I've been buying comics since before there were comic shops & I'm really missing it although I completely understand the reasons for them shutting down. & while I wasn't buying nearly as many new, weekly comics as I once did, I was still looking forward to several titles. Ghost Rider, The Flash, Morbius, Daredevil, Black Cat, Doc. Strange, the Conan titles, FF, Spiderwoman + a few more were all on my weekly pull list. I especially miss just having fellow comic collectors to just talk to on a weekly basis. Now, I'm just reading my back issues & trades like crazy. I've recently completed by trade collection of all the 70's Skywald' Horror comics & they've been excellent as has my EC slipcased version of their Crime Suspence Stories, which I don't think I ever read & have loved it as much as their horror tales. I've pulled both Byrne' FF omni & have picked through them, I've pulled all my olf Hellboys & my Image' Frazetta-centric books, I've rolled my last year or so of new comics into my main collection, I've read the DC/Marvel team-up series from aways back, al my Ennis' Punisher hdbks. I even have ordered comics from a comic shop. That all being said, I really miss just going to my shop. I'm not lamenting the closing of the shops. I completely understand & realize that in the scheme of the horrible things that are happening "out there" a closed comic shop is a minute & unimportant thing, but .... I do miss my weekly comics.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

For sure. I quit the Wednesday thing a while ago when I trimmed my pull list way back. I just pop in now when I am in the area (a couple LCS I frequent) and buy whatever grabs my attention plus my small pull. I miss the people as much as the books. Hopefully we will be able to get our fix again soon.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #3
Augen
The Hulk

I'm having everything withdrawal, so yes, that includes going each month to get comics and occasionally get a statue. Was always a fun place to go just filled with nerdy stuff and people.

I'm worried this may end my LCS as a business. If so I'd either have to buy online or drive a considerable (50 miles) distance to get my fix. Small businesses are getting hammered due to this situation.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Mine is still open (they have a small section that sells beverages and microwavable food so they got a waiver from the state government as an essential business). However, right when everything closed they were going to have their annual anniversary sale where extra discounts are given but that is put on hold until they can fully reopen (right now the have limited hours and you have to knock on the door for someone to let you in). I do stop in every now and then to say hello (have been shopping their regularly since the mid 80's) and to go through the back issue bins to see what I would want when they do reopen.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:07 AM   #5
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

I drive to my LCS right after work every Wednesday to get my pull list. I am having serious withdrawal and miss talking to fellow collectors and the owner. He is a one man show and is the oldest comic book shop in Oklahoma. I really hope he is able to weather the storm.

Thia is an article about the store from 2016 when it turned 40.
https://www.tulsaworld.com/entertain...c954409ae.html
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:27 PM   #6
SickleClaw
Justice League

I will definitely go to my Comic shop when this whole thing finishes and they can reopen, and try to support them.
SickleClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:07 PM   #7
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickleClaw View Post
I will definitely go to my Comic shop when this whole thing finishes and they can reopen, and try to support them.
You may be able to help them currently - both my LCS are still working even if they can't open the doors. Mail order, gift certificates, etc. will keep their cash flow going while the physical shop is closed.

CAF
Old 04-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
SickleClaw
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
You may be able to help them currently - both my LCS are still working even if they can't open the doors. Mail order, gift certificates, etc. will keep their cash flow going while the physical shop is closed.
They have an ebay shop but so far only single issues not the huge wall of trades are available there sadly. I was thinking of buying trades from them to be able to help.
SickleClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #9
moon_knight1971
Rescue

I just get a monthly fix mailed to me from DCBS but I think they will be skipping at least a month with what is going on with Diamond. I'm not really too interested in new books truthfully, other than core titles like Venom or the X-MEN. I try to give new titles a shot but there's always something off or flat about them. Rarely a book hits me like those from the 80's and 90's.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #10
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickleClaw View Post
They have an ebay shop but so far only single issues not the huge wall of trades are available there sadly. I was thinking of buying trades from them to be able to help.
I get that as well. I am getting ready to buy gift certificates to my 2 LCS to keep some cash flowing to them and then use them when they reopen.

CAF