Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-11-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

DC 5G-now totally dead?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/john...an-5g-no-more/

Now I know that this is from Bleeding cool and thatchings there sometime need to be taken with a grain of salt but if this story is true I think that is fine. I never understood the logic of the whole 5G aging the heroes and replacing them with younger versions.

Now if DC does want to go through with it I think that DC really needs to captilize on all of the parallel Earths and set up a line of 5G comics maybe set on a parallel Earth. Set it up as there own line. I am sure there were fans that were looking forward to it but to replace the existing characters permanently I think would have been a horrible idea.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:38 PM   #2
haljordan99
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

5G was a terrible idea. It's not surprising though as comic books have been full of terrible ideas the past decade. It's almost as if they're trying to kill the platform.
haljordan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #3
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljordan99 View Post
5G was a terrible idea. It's not surprising though as comic books have been full of terrible ideas the past decade. It's almost as if they're trying to kill the platform.
Completely agree.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:27 AM   #4
Dark-Flux
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/john...an-5g-no-more/

Now I know that this is from Bleeding cool and thatchings there sometime need to be taken with a grain of salt but if this story is true I think that is fine. I never understood the logic of the whole 5G aging the heroes and replacing them with younger versions.

Now if DC does want to go through with it I think that DC really needs to captilize on all of the parallel Earths and set up a line of 5G comics maybe set on a parallel Earth. Set it up as there own line. I am sure there were fans that were looking forward to it but to replace the existing characters permanently I think would have been a horrible idea.
It was never going to be permanent. If you think it was, i can only assume you're new to superhero comics.
Dark-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I have been purchasing since the late 70's so I am far from new. This was being presented as it was a permanent change from what little info was released. And DC did try to make the NU52 permanent so I would not have been surprised if this one would have been pushed as being permanent as well.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:23 AM   #6
Mister H
Green Goblin

Permanent or not, it was a terrible idea.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:55 PM   #7
Dark-Flux

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
I have been purchasing since the late 70's so I am far from new. This was being presented as it was a permanent change from what little info was released. And DC did try to make the NU52 permanent so I would not have been surprised if this one would have been pushed as being permanent as well.
It doesnt matter how they present it, that doesnt mean a thing. Nothing in Big 2 superhero books is ever permanent.

I dont understand readers that get mad at status quo shifts, as though they are gonna last.

Might as well enjoy a story with the world reacting to Supermans death, or Jean Paul being Batman, or Catwoman having a kid, because it aint gonna last long before everything resets anyway.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:45 PM   #8
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
Might as well enjoy a story with the world reacting to Supermans death, or Jean Paul being Batman, or Catwoman having a kid, because it aint gonna last long before everything resets anyway.
I imagined an alternate DC timeline that had permadeath and how impactful it would be on that universe.

I think part of the reason western comics have stagnated in certain respects is they keep going back to what is safe.

Who knows, maybe a Superman that stayed dead with Doomsday would have opened the door and DC would have a new hero as popular.

It may sound crazy, but eastern comics (manga) does this and even ends stories (well, most of them do) and they keep cranking out merchandise years later of beloved characters.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:02 PM   #9
Dark-Flux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I imagined an alternate DC timeline that had permadeath and how impactful it would be on that universe.

I think part of the reason western comics have stagnated in certain respects is they keep going back to what is safe.

Who knows, maybe a Superman that stayed dead with Doomsday would have opened the door and DC would have a new hero as popular.

It may sound crazy, but eastern comics (manga) does this and even ends stories (well, most of them do) and they keep cranking out merchandise years later of beloved characters.
Yeeeaahh, but (and correct me if im wrong) the vast majority of manga are isolated works by a single creator and his assistants. Its a whole different beast having decades spanning shared-universe titles by numerous creators. Manga is more comparable to independent or creator-owned books in that sense. Where death often is permanent - Saga, Walking Dead, Preacher etc

Thiis is mostly down to having a story which is ultimately finite (even if hella long like One Piece) vs something that is designed to go on potentially forever as a corporate IP.

Manga and indie comics characters can die to serve the story. Bruce Wayne cannot die for any extended period, because he’s too valuable as a multimedia IP.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:28 PM   #10
Augen
The Hulk

Everything you said is true.

That's the issue though, you have to keep the brand going so it stifles creativity and new ideas. You can have Green Lantern, but it does have to be Alan Scott. It can move on to Hal Jordan, to Kyle Reiner, and so on.

The issue is so many of these progression type sea changes were chucked away with events like New 52. For basically my whole life Wally West was the Flash, but DC and other companies want it both ways. They want to desperately hold on to Barry, and then bring back Wally through typical comic logic.

Again, it may sound insane, but Batman could be reborn as Dick or Damian (or Terry!) at some point. Yes, most average people have zero clue there have been four cannon Robins, but if we let that get in the way never have a Nightwing.

I may be wrong, but I think the core comics can be story first and dynamic while having other media properties be simple and keep cranking out merch of various IPs.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote