Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM   #1
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Green Arrow Deluxe Edition by Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino

Jeff Lemire run of Green Arrow had a great word of mouth around it back in the day. I have never heard anything bad about it, it is really praised highly, but it didn't blow my mind or anything. There was even a part i couldn't buy into.

That part was the new tech guy who helped Green Arrow on missions just like Batman's Oracle. His name was Henry Fyff and he was a stalker with a heart of gold...HA HA I mean Oliver Queen fired him from his company because he was a stalker and when he needed a new tech guy on his missions as Green Arrow, he directly went to Fyff without a second thought and told him his secret identity and asked for his help. Fyff was like yeah, i will help you dude because anything for a supe hero, i totaly don't have any gruge against you for firing me and ending my career and i will keep your secret to the grave because i am the purest stalker with a heart of gold on the face of the earth... HA HA Yeah, it was not believeable at all.

Arrow tv show's popularty definetly influanced Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow run. There were some very obvious similarities. I liked Green Arrow's new sidekick Emiko. The Twist with the Island, the Outsiders organisation (when i heard the outsiders name at first, i thought they were Batman's Outsiders team, but the Outsiders in Lemire's Green Arrow run had nothing to do with them, they were totaly something different and new. I bet anyone who knew some DC lore experienced the same confusion at first when they heard the Outsiders name) and all the weapons clans were nice additions to the Green Arrow lore.

I liked Count Vertigo's origin and charater design. I also really liked how Jeff Lemire revitaliesed an absecure DC Character like Richard Dragon. I have heard about him before, but i have never read any DC Comics he was in it before. Andrea Sorrentino's art was good. His style was realistic and cinematic, his panelling style reminded me J.H. Williams III abit.

I give the run a 7/10 point overall.

I like Green Arrow because i like Robin Hood but there is something that bothers me with Green Arrow, something that doesn't work about him, i will make a general critisism of the character. Green Arrow is a murderer vigilante and he is left wing at the same time... I mean these are two totally opposite mentalities of each other. Two opposite mind sets. You can't be a murderer vigilante and left wing at the same time. It doesn't make anysense. I mean super heroes are not real anyway, because of that they don't have to make anysense, but somethings bother some people more than they bother other people... If that makes any sense HA HA
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM   #2
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
Jeff Lemire run of Green Arrow had great word of mouth around it back in the day. I have never heard anything bad about it, it is really praised highly, but it didn't blow my mind or anything. There was even a part i couldn't buy into.

That part was the new tech guy who helped Green Arron on missions just like Batman's Oracle. His name was Henry Fyff and he was a stalker with a heart of gold...HA HA I mean Oliver Queen fired him from his company because he was a stalker and when he needed a new tech guy on his missions as Green Arrow, he directly went to Fyff without a second thought and told him his secret identity and Fyff was like yeah, i will help you dude because anything for a supe hero, i totaly don't have any gruge against you for firing me and ending my career and i will keep your secret to the grave because i am the purest stalker with a heart of gold on the face of the earth... HA HA Yeah, it is not believeable at all.

Arrow tv shows popularty definetly influanced Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow run. There were some very obvious similarities. I liked Green Arrow's new sidekick Emiko. The Twist with the Island, the Outsiders organisation (when i heard the outsiders name at first, i thought they were Batman's Outsiders team, but the Outsiders in Lemire's Green Arrow run had nothing to do with them, they were totaly something different and new. I bet anyone who knew some DC lore experienced the same confusion at first when they heard the Outsiders name) and all the weapons clans were nice additions to the Green Arrow lore.

I liked Count Vertigo's origin and charater design. I also really liked how Jeff Lemire revitaliesed an absecure DC Character like Richard Dragon. I have heard about him before, but i have never read any DC Comics he was in it before. Andrea Sorrentino's art was good. His style was realistic and cinematic, his panelling style reminded me J.H. Williams III abit.

I give the run a 7/10 point overall.

There is something that bothers me with Green Arrow though, i will make a general critisism of the character. Green Arrow is a murderer vigilante and he is left wing at the same time... I mean these are two totally opposite mentalities of each other. Two opposite mind sets. You can't be a murder vigilante and left wing at the same time. It doesn't make anysense.
" We're all criminals Alfred, always have been "
-Bruce Wayne
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM   #3
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
" We're all criminals Alfred, always have been "
-Bruce Wayne
I don't get it... Can you open what do you mean with this Bruce Wayne quote ???
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM   #4
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I don't get it... Can you open what do you mean with this Bruce Wayne quote ???
Well, it's a quote from one of the Snyder movies. Batman tells Alfred how super heroes are criminals because they break the law all the time while rounding up the evil guys. The same Batman that kills evil guys in those same movies.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:15 AM   #5
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

The thing that i don't understand is how can this quote be an explanation for being a murderer vigilante and left wing at the same time ? I have never seen Batman utter the left wing point of view ideas in Batman comics, but Green Arrow utters totaly left wing hippi ideas in Green Arrow Comics yet he is a murderer vigilante !?!?!? This doesn't make sense. Can you imagine hippies taking the law in their own hands and kill people ??? even resort violance. They are called the love generation for a reason.

I must add this is not just a critisism towards Jeff Lemire's writing. Every Comic Book writer writes Green Arrow like this, as far as i read and as i said in my first post, super heroes are not real so they don't have to make sense. I know. HA HA