Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #21
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Ouch! While stories like that are great to hear, they're also sad to hear.

Is that to say Nostalgic sold it to RomitaMan or they sold it to someone else who later sold it to RomitaMan or it was a consignment piece from day 1 and just shifted over to RomitaMan?
My guess is Romitaman traded for it.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:00 PM   #22
dholden007
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
The general mindset with selling one-of-a-kind items is if it's priced at a number many people would pay, then it's priced too low. The idea is to price the piece at a number only a few would be willing to pay. Where things get screwy is if there are only ten people willing to pay that much but there are hundreds of pieces priced at that number then something is getting lost in the equation somewhere as it's clear the market is being misunderstood. A smart seller would see that and try to sell the item sooner at a better price, then use the money to buy other artwork and the cycle begins anew, which may include repeat business. Some of these art dealers seem to get stuck on wanting the big sale. Sure, they might get it -- but they risk losing out on so many other possible ways of making more money if they sold pieces earlier.

When it comes to buying artwork, you have to do your best to stay within what you believe the piece is worth and not what another person says it's worth. Also, as it appears (most of our) kids have zero interest in comics, let alone comic artwork, when possible, try to buy stuff you can get a decent return. In that sense, spending 14k on a Valiant comics BWS page is probably not the best way to go.
I agree but I think the best thing to do is to buy art that you really like. I don't really think about the return value (although I don't get as many commissions anymore, just published art). If I really like the piece and the price is fair I would buy it. I do like some of BWS Valiant work, but I would never spend that much on the Unity #1 cover. Damn, if I had 14K to spend on art there are about 100 others I can think of that I would rather get. One day I do want to own the original cover art to X-O Manowar #1 by Bob Layton, that's a Valiant grail for me.
dholden007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #23
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

The fact that Cool Lines does not list prices does irritate me a lot.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:55 PM   #24
dholden007
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
The fact that Cool Lines does not list prices does irritate me a lot.
Me too. Along with some other things they do.
dholden007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:19 AM   #25
Magneto
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Wow, that´s great!
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote