Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
BillC
Hellboy

More Valentino GOTG stuff (the year will end strong)

Take pieces I've wanted for years, wait for the stars to align, bake 15 minutes at 400 degrees, and:

Guardians of the Galaxy #23 cover:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1178239

Another one of my favorite Valentino GOTG covers. Mark Texeira filled in and did art chores (pencils/inks) on the interiors of this issue- while I personally didn't think his style was a good fit for the Guardians, I loved his inks over Jim on this cover.

The published cover was altered a bit as Talon was lowered, angled more to face Rancor, and had his tail redone- while Rancor's right leg was reworked and the UPC box was moved. No idea why or how it was done.

Rob Liefeld drew Charlie in the corner box, I remember getting a kick out of seeing that the day the issue came out. I'm glad to finally own something GOTG related by Rob. He and Jim shared a studio and discussed the initial idea of doing a GOTG comic, so he was there when the series was no more than a passing thought.

Sooner or later I'm getting the glue professionally removed (likely along with the Texeira signature that's plastered across the top, if possible. Some would frown on that but it's distracting to me)

Guardians of the Galaxy #1 page 10:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1178240

Yondu takes Marty (and the readers) through the team's history to bring us up to speed. Here we see what has happened previously in Marvel Two-In-One, The Defenders, and Marvel Presents. Always loved this (very early) page from the series, especially the shot of Cap.

Guardians of the Galaxy #2 page 21:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1178241

The Stark corner and attack Aleta after she accidentally kills one of their leaders.

The Guardians' timeline of what "should be" changes with this page and the next, as Aleta is shot mid-transformation and separated from Starhawk earlier than what was destined. Turns out Mephisto was behind the turn of events.

Early on in the series, before knowing/liking the Guardians team members- I loved the book due to three things: the "What If" nature of the book, the references to all the 20th century Marvel heroes, and the way the book seemed to put me in the middle of the action- like a game book (Twistaplot, Plot Your Own Horror, etc). For me, this pages is an example of all three. Love it.

Offensive amounts of Valentino GOTG art are still on the way.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Valentino, tex, and liefeld all in one! Good score.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Your closing out the year strong Bill! The cover is a trifecta of talent! I really like the #1 page ten better though. So many fond memories of Guardians goodness there! Well done sir!
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
whd
Suicide Squad

Some of the best pages so far! Congrats!
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
Underdog07
Hercules

I love that page 10. Really nice one.

I disagree on the cover. You need more signatures all over it.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Man, you are on straight fire! I swear, this site has some of the biggest art collecting ballers on the planet. Haha! Can't wait to hear your tally for 2014 once the year is over.

Badass, Bill!
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
BillC
Hellboy

Thanks guys. I love the page #10 much more than the cover too. I was always bigger into interior pages.

One more batch of cool pages coming in, then hopefully I'm done with published stuff for a while.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
then hopefully I'm done with published stuff for a while.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote