Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Iron Studios

Old 03-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #141
Don
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcliff1 View Post
I was on here for almost ten years when I joined
Sounds like we have both been "around" for a similar length of time--no doubt like lots of members on boards that observe for a long time before ever making a comment. Will "see" you all around on the board.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:38 PM   #142
craigcliff1
Zot

I didn't want to get caught up in board fights, but now I find
collecting so boring thought if I joined it might make collecting a little more fun.
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:57 PM   #143
Don
Frackin!

Quote:
I didn't want to get caught up in board fights, but now I find
collecting so boring thought if I joined it might make collecting a little more fun.
Well, I really love collecting; I'm pretty fanatical. Like you, I'm not a fan of fighting but I really do like getting other people's ideas--if they are respectfully delivered. I participate on some other collection boards. You really can't beat boards for getting information and a broad sense of what's coming out.. or maybe some idea about things going on behind the scenes. Like many, I started collecting Bowen first; then from there I became a virtual collecting nut. I've even turned it into a family affair; but I'm really the only one in the household that pays attention to the statue and figurine collecting boards. I like learning, reading the comments, and watching video and statue reviews when they come out. Putting the whole package together, collecting has been a heck of a fun hobby.

I'm not sure, but this Hawkman may be the 1st Iron Studios piece in my collection--certainly of this scale. That's why I was asking for insight from those who might be more familiar with the brand. And even though this has been a very expensive hobby, and I have to consider where to place such a piece, this IS Hawkman appears to be too strong to ignore. It's obviously expensive though...but it's probably worth it considering the artistry and level of detail.

No one asked for all that background, of course; but that's a bit of who I am and why I asked the question about edition size in the first place.

Having 3 versions to choose from is a great idea. Going to be interesting to see what the actual edition size for each will be.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:04 PM   #144
craigcliff1
Zot

Yes I use to so love collecting but with statues up so much shipping up so much, resell stinks now, crooks for resell. Just got cheated on ebay couldn't get in U.S. so went with ebay pre order and now dudes has bailed with my money. Got cheated by a store couple years ago $575.00, Fed Ex $580.00, ebay pre order $ 700.00. I do think statues now are just so awesome with their sculpts. I am staying in for now until I pick up the Transformers statues I want, PCS Shredder, couple of GI Joes and sell my statues and bail.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:25 AM   #145
Don
Frackin!

Quote:
Yes I use to so love collecting but with statues up so much shipping up so much, resell stinks now, crooks for resell. Just got cheated on ebay couldn't get in U.S. so went with ebay pre order and now dudes has bailed with my money. Got cheated by a store couple years ago $575.00, Fed Ex $580.00, ebay pre order $ 700.00. I do think statues now are just so awesome with their sculpts. I am staying in for now until I pick up the Transformers statues I want, PCS Shredder, couple of GI Joes and sell my statues and bail.
Super sorry to hear that. Actually, I got cheated a couple of times, and I had a bad experience with receiving an expensive, damaged item thru Ebay. One of the biggest cheats was a guy who went by the Ebay name "feverbobfever". I bought a SS Exclusive Thanos-on-Throne pre-order from him--for a couple of thousand $ at the time, I think. Anyway, Sideshow opened pre-orders long before availability--and that particular statue sold out so quickly (while I was at work, in fact) that I never even had the chance to try getting him. I grew up loving the stories of Thanos, Warlock, Drax the Destroyer, and Captain Marvel (the male version)--and Jim Starlin's art with the diabolically grinning/smiling Thanos became a fixture in my mind. So, I really wanted to get the exclusive SS version with the grinning change-out portrait.

I started seeing individual collector-review videos after the statues began to be shipped, but I received no update from feverbobfever. I attempted to contact him but he stalled and delayed. When I made the pre-order with him initially he had a few but decent positive Ebay-feedback reviews and rating. To make a long story short, it became evident that this guy was taking me for a ride and intended on running away with my money.

Here is where my story takes a different turn. It took quite some doing but I did report him and the whole incident. It took some doing because the initial purchase had occurred longer than 90-days ago (the ebay window for monitoring the outcome of a transaction). Actually, I think things were coming to a head 6-8 months after the original transaction. I am so thankful--especially to Paypal. Paypal reviewed my claims and the case, decided my complaint had merit, sided with me, and ACTUALLY REFUNDED ME MY $2,000.00-plus-dollars! No foolin'! I can't describe to you what effect the decision they made hade over me! I have a tremendous amount of respect for the company. I do as many transactions as I can thru them to give them the business--and I am an investor in the stock and believe in their company. In addition to my negative feedback, it turns out that other buyers had similar negative experiences with this guy.

Ebay reviewed my complaints too, gave feverbob the opportunity to correct the mess and respond. I noticed that after the standard review time-table for such incidents, he was kicked off and no longer registered on their site. I was pleased to know that he would not be doing the same thing to someone else, at least not with the same Ebay identity and seller name. For all I know, he could be on this board and eventually read this post (unlikely). The experience was a big wake-up call and lesson for me--a warning to be extremely careful and suspicious of expensive pre-order items sold by individuals--especially when the item is expected to arrive AFTER 90-days. After 90-days it becomes very difficult to resolve your conflict and get a positive outcome. Unfortunately, there are predators out there that go after well-intentioned, fun-loving collectors.

To cap the end of my Thanos-on-Throne story, I eventually did get an exclusive for a decent price on Ebay from a different seller who was wiling to work out a deal with me. I think I told him my story, and he practically made sure that it was me who got the statue--if I really wanted it...and I did. Honestly, his kindness and the whole experience had me in tears for a brief spell--as I thought of people being so callous and cruel enough to take thousands of $ from enthusiastic collectors--an amount of money that is pretty hard for many of us to come by. The experience reinforced to me the presence of sociopaths in the collectibles market(s) who would take everything we have from us if they could. So, I understand where you're coming from; significant parts of the statue, figurine, and other collectibles markets have become scam, flipping, and money-raping ploys. These types of individuals and their schemes can definitely take the joy out of collecting.

But let me say this: even though it seems small, you were here on this board when I had a question--which incidentally is probably the 1st post I have ever put on this board...and I have been a member on this board for about 13 years (I know, that sounds crazy). But for me, potentially buying the IS Hawkman statue is a very big deal. The sculpture is huge and expensive, but it appears to be a gorgeous work of art. I sincerely believe this would go well with my collection and am looking forward to adding it. I am planning on purchasing it thru Sideshow, as I have had positive experiences with them making sure I get a good product in the end. I am glad you were among the voices available to advise and answer my question, and that you did offer your opinion.

You had some bad experiences. Again, I am very sorry to hear what you are describing. I hope good things are in store for both of us in the future, and that your faith, enthusiasm, and joy in the hobby and some of us as other like-minded collectors is restored. I have put a lot of thought into this IS Hawkman. I don't want to buy something this expensive and end up regretting it; nor do I want to look back later after the item has sold out and be upset that I didn't purchase it--when the price might go even higher and the hopefully great individual collector reviews start to emerge. Making the right decision requires a good amount of thought and input. So your input has been sincerely appreciated--and even though you're frustrated, I'm glad you were here and among the collector voices that commented. Hope to "see you around" on the board for some time.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:00 AM   #146
craigcliff1
Zot

Thanks..
Old 03-31-2019, 10:20 PM   #147
Bernie21
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Super sorry to hear that. Actually, I got cheated a couple of times, and I had a bad experience with receiving an expensive, damaged item thru Ebay. One of the biggest cheats was a guy who went by the Ebay name "feverbobfever". I bought a SS Exclusive Thanos-on-Throne pre-order from him--for a couple of thousand $ at the time, I think. Anyway, Sideshow opened pre-orders long before availability--and that particular statue sold out so quickly (while I was at work, in fact) that I never even had the chance to try getting him. I grew up loving the stories of Thanos, Warlock, Drax the Destroyer, and Captain Marvel (the male version)--and Jim Starlin's art with the diabolically grinning/smiling Thanos became a fixture in my mind. So, I really wanted to get the exclusive SS version with the grinning change-out portrait.

I started seeing individual collector-review videos after the statues began to be shipped, but I received no update from feverbobfever. I attempted to contact him but he stalled and delayed. When I made the pre-order with him initially he had a few but decent positive Ebay-feedback reviews and rating. To make a long story short, it became evident that this guy was taking me for a ride and intended on running away with my money.

Here is where my story takes a different turn. It took quite some doing but I did report him and the whole incident. It took some doing because the initial purchase had occurred longer than 90-days ago (the ebay window for monitoring the outcome of a transaction). Actually, I think things were coming to a head 6-8 months after the original transaction. I am so thankful--especially to Paypal. Paypal reviewed my claims and the case, decided my complaint had merit, sided with me, and ACTUALLY REFUNDED ME MY $2,000.00-plus-dollars! No foolin'! I can't describe to you what effect the decision they made hade over me! I have a tremendous amount of respect for the company. I do as many transactions as I can thru them to give them the business--and I am an investor in the stock and believe in their company. In addition to my negative feedback, it turns out that other buyers had similar negative experiences with this guy.

Ebay reviewed my complaints too, gave feverbob the opportunity to correct the mess and respond. I noticed that after the standard review time-table for such incidents, he was kicked off and no longer registered on their site. I was pleased to know that he would not be doing the same thing to someone else, at least not with the same Ebay identity and seller name. For all I know, he could be on this board and eventually read this post (unlikely). The experience was a big wake-up call and lesson for me--a warning to be extremely careful and suspicious of expensive pre-order items sold by individuals--especially when the item is expected to arrive AFTER 90-days. After 90-days it becomes very difficult to resolve your conflict and get a positive outcome. Unfortunately, there are predators out there that go after well-intentioned, fun-loving collectors.

To cap the end of my Thanos-on-Throne story, I eventually did get an exclusive for a decent price on Ebay from a different seller who was wiling to work out a deal with me. I think I told him my story, and he practically made sure that it was me who got the statue--if I really wanted it...and I did. Honestly, his kindness and the whole experience had me in tears for a brief spell--as I thought of people being so callous and cruel enough to take thousands of $ from enthusiastic collectors--an amount of money that is pretty hard for many of us to come by. The experience reinforced to me the presence of sociopaths in the collectibles market(s) who would take everything we have from us if they could. So, I understand where you're coming from; significant parts of the statue, figurine, and other collectibles markets have become scam, flipping, and money-raping ploys. These types of individuals and their schemes can definitely take the joy out of collecting.

But let me say this: even though it seems small, you were here on this board when I had a question--which incidentally is probably the 1st post I have ever put on this board...and I have been a member on this board for about 13 years (I know, that sounds crazy). But for me, potentially buying the IS Hawkman statue is a very big deal. The sculpture is huge and expensive, but it appears to be a gorgeous work of art. I sincerely believe this would go well with my collection and am looking forward to adding it. I am planning on purchasing it thru Sideshow, as I have had positive experiences with them making sure I get a good product in the end. I am glad you were among the voices available to advise and answer my question, and that you did offer your opinion.

You had some bad experiences. Again, I am very sorry to hear what you are describing. I hope good things are in store for both of us in the future, and that your faith, enthusiasm, and joy in the hobby and some of us as other like-minded collectors is restored. I have put a lot of thought into this IS Hawkman. I don't want to buy something this expensive and end up regretting it; nor do I want to look back later after the item has sold out and be upset that I didn't purchase it--when the price might go even higher and the hopefully great individual collector reviews start to emerge. Making the right decision requires a good amount of thought and input. So your input has been sincerely appreciated--and even though you're frustrated, I'm glad you were here and among the collector voices that commented. Hope to "see you around" on the board for some time.

Woah, I appreciate this story right here! I'm happy to read you're not jaded in this often frustrating hobby that really should be fun, because it tugs at our youth experiences. I'm also glad your experience worked out in your favor. There's no need for that nonsense. A dollar earned is hard, but not impossible, no need for someone to get from us that way. As far as iron studios is concerned... I own Batman vs Bane, Wolverine vs Juggernaut, Spiderverse Bridge diorama & I'm still hunting down Superman vs Doomsday. I LOVE all the pieces I own from them. And I'm confident in my purchases from them. If the design for the X-Men diorama is to my liking, I'll be making another substantial expenditure of my hard earned money on their product. If you like this Hawkman, go for it!!
Bernie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:06 AM   #148
Don
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie21 View Post

Woah, I appreciate this story right here! I'm happy to read you're not jaded in this often frustrating hobby that really should be fun, because it tugs at our youth experiences. I'm also glad your experience worked out in your favor. There's no need for that nonsense. A dollar earned is hard, but not impossible, no need for someone to get from us that way. As far as iron studios is concerned... I own Batman vs Bane, Wolverine vs Juggernaut, Spiderverse Bridge diorama & I'm still hunting down Superman vs Doomsday. I LOVE all the pieces I own from them. And I'm confident in my purchases from them. If the design for the X-Men diorama is to my liking, I'll be making another substantial expenditure of my hard earned money on their product. If you like this Hawkman, go for it!!
Thanks for your feedback and giving me your experience with Iron Studios. I've researching a bit more on them and liking what I see. I did go ahead and pre-order that Hawkman late last night--so your account of your collection and experiences is reassuring me that I made the right decision to go ahead and proceed. It sounds like you have a nice collection yourself going on. Congratulations on what you've accomplished so far!
Old 04-02-2019, 02:36 AM   #149
pdenham
Teen Titans

Bernie,
did you get your IS statues direct from IS or through some other retailer?
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:20 PM   #150
MisterJ
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

ES on sideshow

40 Open Wings
130 Closed Wings
200 Open/Closed Wings
MisterJ is offline   Reply With Quote