Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-26-2021, 09:04 PM   #621
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
Also what majority is this? The costume is popular because of circumstances at the time, not because of anything particular about the costume. If she was wearing something different at that time then that costume would be just as popular.
Quite the assumption there, Peedi. I think if you threw one of the more modern looks on her in that moment it wouldn't be half as popular, but...there's always a level of bias involved. In any case, to each their own. Lee, Byrne, Silvestri...at least it's a Storm for you guys.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:13 AM   #622
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
Quite the assumption there, Peedi. I think if you threw one of the more modern looks on her in that moment it wouldn't be half as popular, but...there's always a level of bias involved. In any case, to each their own. Lee, Byrne, Silvestri...at least it's a Storm for you guys.
It’s certainly an opinion but I don’t think it’s an assumption. I’m basing it out of facts. Media at the time reflected what was in the comics, and that time period exposed plenty of people to the characters, and today we keep revisiting that time period, hence Lee costumes.

Let’s look at the facts though:

1. Comics: In the early 90s “Uncanny X-Men” had been a top selling comic for years. That’s why Marvel launched a 2nd ongoing, “X-Men”, in 1991. The Jim Lee costumes debuted in X-Men #1.

2. TV: “X-Men” debuted in 1992. The main character’s costumes weren’t picked and chosen. They were the then current comic costumes. For Cyclops, Jean, Rogue and Storm that meant the Lee costumes that had only been around for just one year prior. And Gambit who had only been around for 2 years at that point had no other costume. That’s how plenty of people discovered X-Men, particularly non comic readers (the Making Of book and article outline the scope of that cartoon’s reach pretty well).

3. Games: Around this time X-Men started getting multiple game releases per year. The current costumes were almost always used, further popularizing those looks. Two exceptions I know of: 1) “Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade’s Revenge” Cyclops wears the classic X-Factor in-game, but the different box artworks for Genesis and SNES show him in the then current Lee costume. And 2) X-Men Arcade Game 1992, that game is specifically adapted from the cancelled 1989 Pryde of the X-Men pilot, hence those costumes and that specific lineup.

Storm’s costume changed mid to late 90s, the grey/purple one. Look at games around that time as well, her costume changed.

Whenever that Animated or Blue Team/Gold Team era is revisited, you have to do Storm in that Lee costume because that’s what she wore. If she wore something different we’d be seeing toys and statues of that instead of the Lee we constantly get. I like the costume personally, stupid poofy sleeves aside. I have the XM and getting this one, too and I’ll have both in this costume. But it’s popular because it’s associated with a popular era for the franchise.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:25 AM   #623
Vader
Ghost

Too long. Losing interest. Where's the doom maquette?
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:58 PM   #624
aa909
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
Too long. Losing interest. Where's the doom maquette?
LMAOOOOO!! So true. This thread gets bumped 20 times a day with the dumbest posts.
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:12 PM   #625
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
LMAOOOOO!! So true. This thread gets bumped 20 times a day with the dumbest posts.
The wait we have had to endure is kinda ridiculous. Let's get our entertainment how and where we can until the piece is finally revealed!
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:32 PM   #626
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

What are the odds that SS will make a Marvel Girl PF one day? My gut tells me it’s a long shot, but they’ve been churning out the X-Men as of late, so maybe there’s a glimmer of hope. She’s such a sexy character.

Now, back to Storm speculations...
bdlovelace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:12 PM   #627
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlovelace View Post
What are the odds that SS will make a Marvel Girl PF one day? My gut tells me it’s a long shot, but they’ve been churning out the X-Men as of late, so maybe there’s a glimmer of hope. She’s such a sexy character.

Now, back to Storm speculations...
I actually think it'd be quite high. Jean Grey/Phoenix will always be one of the more popular X-Men and this costume will sell better than the New X-Men leather outfit or the X-Factor version.

Having the costume revisited in the current run also helps...god I love how she is drawn here.

darren1228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:20 AM   #628
xellos49698
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
I actually think it'd be quite high. Jean Grey/Phoenix will always be one of the more popular X-Men and this costume will sell better than the New X-Men leather outfit or the X-Factor version.

Having the costume revisited in the current run also helps...god I love how she is drawn here.

I would love to see Jean PF with this costume.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X-Men_Vol_5_1_Artgerm_Jean_Grey.png
Views:	16
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	137304  
xellos49698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:58 PM   #629
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

I hope y’all are right. I’m really quite surprised SS hasn’t already made a PF of Marvel Girl. Such a gorgeous character. Bronze/Copper Age costume goodness.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:06 PM   #630
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos49698 View Post
I would love to see Jean PF with this costume.
Heck yeah! I love that Artgerm cover.