Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-26-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
jick
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Freddie Williams II Instructional Personal Grail Superman

First off, big thanks to those in this forum who announced that Freddie Williams II was taking on commissions. This made me realize he had a website and rather than get a commission, I got one (or shall I say two because it is two boards) of his pieces.

When I was a kid, I had "How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way" by Stan Lee and John Buscema. Over the years, I have learned Photoshop and picked up "The DC Comics Guide To Digitally Drawing" by Freddie Williams II without any expectations and just out of curiosity since I am just a hobby/recreational artist - nowhere near professional.

The book turned out to rejuvenate my artistic pursuits and made me draw more since I could now digitally lay-out the stuff and see how it would look even before I would start drawing it (which I prefer to do traditionally). A lot of them were Brian Bolland stuff because he is the one who wrote the intro to the book and said he had been working digitally for over a decade now, so it made me realize he does not have originals to a lot of his modern art which I decided to recreate.

I also learned valuable tips from the book about Layer Groups and Alpha Channels which helped me in my digital coloring pursuits.

I did start a thread in this forum showcasing most of my art - a lot of pre-production techniques I learned from Freddie's book. Here is the thread:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=132525

So when I found out that the cover to the book - that was my personal modern day grail - was available, then I immediately jumped at it. I got it straight from the artist, Freddie Williams II (thanks to those in this forum), and it came in two separate boards, one for the pencils and another for the inks. Since he was detailing in his book a hybrid workflow, both boards are traditionally drawn - pencils and real inks - over his printed digital wireframes.

Just like all my CAF postings, it is loaded with additional images, long-detailed descriptions, and more stuff. For this particular one, I included Freddie's insights on making the book, plus pictures of him posing with this image in his convention appearances. Here it is and feel free to comment or share:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...85&GSub=122146

Again, many thanks to those in this forum and I look forward to all of you posting your personal Freddie Williams II commissions here!
jick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

That's awesome, congrats. Freddie has a great sale on until years end but I have yet to pull the trigger on anything. I recently acquired Photoshop and Illustrator and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Maybe need to look into Freddie's instruction.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
jick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyrob View Post
That's awesome, congrats. Freddie has a great sale on until years end but I have yet to pull the trigger on anything. I recently acquired Photoshop and Illustrator and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Maybe need to look into Freddie's instruction.
Unfortunately, the book won't teach you how to use Photoshop. It sort of presupposes that you already have some sort of background with Photoshop.

So practice that software, then when you know your way around, you can get Freddie's book and it will be very much worth it.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

greate pages. i was surprised those didn't go last year. i had been pondering to buy those as well. congrats!
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

very cool background story and great addition to your collection
Old 11-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
GerryT
Statue Forum MacDaddy

not really familiar with his art, but he can draw the hell out out of Superman ! great addition !
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Freddie has a sale on all his OA right now. Buy one, get one half off. He has had a DPS I have wanted forever, just never had the cash.
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

Congratulations! Is is a very cool addition to any collection!
Arcusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwf6171 View Post
Freddie has a sale on all his OA right now. Buy one, get one half off. He has had a DPS I have wanted forever, just never had the cash.
the red robin with the buses falling behind him?
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
jick

Freddie Williams II tweeted this thread. I thought this was pretty cool.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC-Guide-To-Digitally-Drawing-SF-Tweet.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	75671