Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 03-15-2016, 10:41 PM   #1
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Spider-man Premium Format Statue EX by Sideshow Collectibles - Review by Gary Tonge

Spider-man Premium Format Statue EX by Sideshow Collectibles

My HD video turnaround of the Spidey PF: HERE

• Martin Canale (Design, Sculpt)
• Ian MacDonald (Design)
• Zac Roane (Design)
• Guillermo Barbiero (Sculpt)
• Avinash Hegde (Sculpt)
• Alfred Paredes (Sculpt)
• Adam Smith (Mold & Cast)
• Bernardo Esquivel (Paint)
• Anthony Mestas (Paint)

Sculpt: Martin Canale and crew managed to create a dynamic sculpture of one of popular culture's most beloved characters.

Body: The Spider-man PF has nicely designed proportions which are crafted to create the character's lean physique. The sculpt is muscular, but not overdone. This Spider-man has jumped off the pages of a comic book and into your collection room!

The carved-in web lines work to good effect on this piece. As light hits the inside edges of web grooves it creates a neat sheen that contrasts with the dark web lines. This adds a nice level of depth to the costume. The sculpted spider emblem is also well done and is properly sized.

I'm very impressed with the sculpt of the eyes, more so on the regular head. For me, the eyes make or break a Spider-man statue. The eyes on this piece look well proportioned and hints to the early 90's era of McFarlane/Larsen/Bagely . I like the raised features of the eyes. From a lighting perspective, it lends itself to casting interesting shadows on the face.

Bridge: The bridge element of the base looks fantastic. The sculpted metal corrosion is especially nice. The small details such as the rivets adds to the overall quality of the piece.
The hanging hook component helps to convey the feeling of movement. From certain angels it really feels as though the metallic hook is being swung by the massive force of the bridge collapsing, due to the explosions of the Green Goblin's pumpkin bombs.

Smoke/Explosion: This aspect of the base has been controversial since it's official reveal. I think sculpted smoke will always be polarizing; you'll have people or who like or hate it. In this case it helps tell the story. Without the explosion, it would be difficult to figure out why the bridge is collapsing. As far as sculpted smoke goes, it looks fine to me. The sculpted smoke has a nice grainy texture which gives the piece a gritty edge to it.

The pumpkin bombs themselves have nice little details. Both bombs appear to be at different phases of exploding and the sculpt reflects that quite well.

Score: 9/10

Paint: I was quite concerned about the paint apps for this piece considering the level of detail required to ensure the web lines are accurate and the cleanliness of the breaks between the red and blue costume elements.

Body: I was pleasantly surprised when I unboxed my statue. I had no concerns with the paint apps on my piece. Almost all of the web lines were done without bleeding. There's a small black dot on the index finger of the right hand that is a slight blemish, but other than that, it's very well done.
The blues and reds used for the piece are excellent. His costume has some slight shading to punch out some of the details of the sculpt. The eyes are really nicely done. There's a small amount of grey shadowing on the periphery of the eye that helps to add a bit more dimension to the eye sculpt. It gives the eye a cool, silvery type effect.

Base: The bridge component is painted in a slight green tone to give the effect of metallic oxidation. There's a bit of orange spray on the lower aspect of the bridge element. It's a little too strong for my taste, I would have preferred if this were a little more subtle. The swinging hook element has a nice metallic sheen to it with a bit of red to create a rust effect.

The paint apps on the smoke/explosion effect is functional, but I wonder if more could have been done to make it look a bit more realistic.

Score: 8.5/10

Design: I'll say right off the bat that this is the most dynamic statue I've seen from any company. Ever. The concept of Spidey narrowly escaping an attack of the Green Goblin is so well executed here. This is as much of a mini-diorama as it is a statue. There's a great story being told with this piece. From Spidey springing off of a collapsing bridge, to the swinging hook to the pumpkin bomb explosions going off below, the narrative is awesome.

Score: 10/10

Production and Build Quality: I think we're all aware of the elephant in the room with regards to this statue. Overall though, this piece appears to be well constructed.

Spidey's torso feels quite solid, although it does seem that the legs aren't casted solid. With regards to the metal rod extending from the peg, through his arm and into the body, I've seen photos on facebook where someone applied a magnet to the arm to prove that there is in fact metal going through it. The extent of the metal support is still yet to be determined, but Spider-man does feel very strong and sturdy once positioned on the base.

The two head sculpts blend fairly well with the torso components. I've heard of complaints of people having a noticeable seam line. On mine there is a bit of a seam, but I think the designers did a good job with trying to hide the seam line within the webbing. For me, the seam lines are least noticeable with the EX portrait.

I am surprised that the bridge component and explosion are separate pieces. Being that they are, it's curious that there isn't a peg to hold the bridge in place. Perhaps the designers felt it unnecessary.

Even considering all of the above, the overall production and build quality feels well done. Time will tell if this Spidey will suffer any leaning issues such as some of Sideshow's other pieces.

Score 8.5/10

Overall: This piece will be a highlight for Sideshow this year. They've definitely done their homework with this piece. Spider-man is brilliantly depicted with a breathtaking pose.

I cannot stop looking at this statue. It's dynamic and captures everything I'd want to see in a Spider-man statue. If you're a Spider-man fan, you need to add this to your collection!

Overall Score: 9/10

GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:44 PM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Nice going! Looks great!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:50 PM   #3
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Nice review, Gary!
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:54 PM   #4
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Nice going! Looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmutha View Post
Nice review, Gary!
Thanks for the support guys! Hopefully this is useful to someone out there.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:49 AM   #5
SONICobra
Bane

great review, awesome pics - congrats bro!
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:49 AM   #6
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Great review of a great statue!!! Grats!
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:58 AM   #7
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Nice review and a great video, but not one shot of the Ex head in the video... lol
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #8
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
great review, awesome pics - congrats bro!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
Great review of a great statue!!! Grats!
Thanks for checking it out guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
Nice review and a great video, but not one shot of the Ex head in the video... lol
Haha. I know. I had a 30 minute window to take all of my photos and shoot video footage. When I realized that I didn't take any photos of the EX head or regular hand, I just said screw it. Not actually a fan of the squnity face anyway. Thanks for checking it out man!
Old 03-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #9
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Awesome review sir! Most useful, I think you may have sold me to try to obtain this one in the near future if the opportunity presents itself. That is to say, if I find myself in a situation where I am on the fence with the statue right in front of me, I will remember this review and pull the trigger.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #10
Sandtrooper_404
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Thanks!!!
Sandtrooper_404 is offline   Reply With Quote