Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #621
Sithlord32
New Republic

Here is a sticky I have up in the posters and prints section it might be a good read if your just getting into collecting art or having questions with handling your prints rolling or unrolling them. Any more direct questions with a lengthily answer dont be afraid to shoot me a PM ill help you with the extent of my knowledge or point you in the right direction where you can obtain it.

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=143198
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #622
OrangeCrush
Alpha Flight

For those that are really interested in learning how to frame your own prints, I would recommend you buy a Logan Matt Cutter. I have used Logan matt cutters for over 15 years and they really are great matt cutters. If your looking to spend as little as possible, I recommend going with the Logan 301-1 Compact Classic. Here is a picture of the cutter and a link to the page over at Logan.

http://www.logangraphic.com/product/...mpact-classic/

It has a 32" capacity, which is perfect for matting 18x24 prints. The MSRP is $119.99, but Amazon has it available for just $80.25.

If you want a matt cutter that is able to go a bit bigger than 18x24 prints, and price is still an issue, the Logan 401-1 Artist Classic is perfect. It still an economical model, but it has a 40" capacity instead of 32". Its currently available on Amazon for $109.95. Here is the link to the product page over at Logan:

http://www.logangraphic.com/product/...rtist-classic/

If your willing to spend a bit more to get something higher in quality, than I would definitely recommend either Logan's 550-1 Simplex Classic or the 560-1 Simplex Classic. The only difference between the two is size capacity. The 550-1 has a 40" capacity and the 560-1 has a "60 capacity.

Here is a picture of the 550-1/560-1 along with a link to its page over at Logan

http://www.logangraphic.com/product/...mplex-classic/

If you want, you can continue to climb up the price ladder and get even nicer models, but in all honesty, anything more than the 550-1/560-1 for a hobbiest looking to learn how to matt/frame thier own prints is really overkill. The features that you wind up getting into with nicer models are things like specialty cutting (glass cutting, plexi cutting, etc), paper trimmers, and features that deal with high volume matt cutting. Again, its really overkill for print hobbiests looking to learn how to matt/frame.

You actually see a lot of used matt cutters on eBay and there isnt a lot that can go wrong with these cutters, beyond the blades getting dull and since you change those out anyways...well, buying used matt cutters is a perfectly viable option if your looking to save some money.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #623
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
For those that are really interested in learning how to frame your own prints, I would recommend you buy a Logan Matt Cutter. I have used Logan matt cutters for over 15 years and they really are great matt cutters. If your looking to spend as little as possible, I recommend going with the Logan 301-1 Compact Classic. Here is a picture of the cutter and a link to the page over at Logan.

http://www.logangraphic.com/product/...mpact-classic/

It has a 32" capacity, which is perfect for matting 18x24 prints. The MSRP is $119.99, but Amazon has it available for just $80.25.

If you want a matt cutter that is able to go a bit bigger than 18x24 prints, and price is still an issue, the Logan 401-1 Artist Classic is perfect. It still an economical model, but it has a 40" capacity instead of 32". Its currently available on Amazon for $109.95. Here is the link to the product page over at Logan:

http://www.logangraphic.com/product/...rtist-classic/

If your willing to spend a bit more to get something higher in quality, than I would definitely recommend either Logan's 550-1 Simplex Classic or the 560-1 Simplex Classic. The only difference between the two is size capacity. The 550-1 has a 40" capacity and the 560-1 has a "60 capacity.

Here is a picture of the 550-1/560-1 along with a link to its page over at Logan

http://www.logangraphic.com/product/...mplex-classic/

If you want, you can continue to climb up the price ladder and get even nicer models, but in all honesty, anything more than the 550-1/560-1 for a hobbiest looking to learn how to matt/frame thier own prints is really overkill. The features that you wind up getting into with nicer models are things like specialty cutting (glass cutting, plexi cutting, etc), paper trimmers, and features that deal with high volume matt cutting. Again, its really overkill for print hobbiests looking to learn how to matt/frame.

You actually see a lot of used matt cutters on eBay and there isnt a lot that can go wrong with these cutters, beyond the blades getting dull and since you change those out anyways...well, buying used matt cutters is a perfectly viable option if your looking to save some money.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #624
bicoid18
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

To add to OrangeCrush's suggestions, here is a short tutorial that helped me out. Just in case anyone is having trouble figuring out mat cutting calculations.

http://youtu.be/mTI4sG6MPy4
bicoid18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:45 AM   #625
Hemooo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Im getting Kier print today, I'm thinking to flatting the print by placing it between two styrofoam boards with the sheet that comes with the print covering the print. so it will be board, print, sheet & board, is this the right way to do it? anyone knows if the sheet that comes with the print is acid free & safe to use?
Hemooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #626
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemooo View Post
Im getting Kier print today, I'm thinking to flatting the print by placing it between two styrofoam boards with the sheet that comes with the print covering the print. so it will be board, print, sheet & board, is this the right way to do it? anyone knows if the sheet that comes with the print is acid free & safe to use?
Hard to tell sometimes. A lot of places just use tissue paper which usually isn't acid free. If its glassine paper which is acid free it will be a bit thicker and have a semi glossy side to it. The tissue paper will not affect the print in short term its just not recommended for long term storage. If you scroll to the top of the page I have a link that will help you out with methods of flattening and storage.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #627
dechirico7
The Flash

Mat cutting is an art form. Something you definitely need to practice at. I did a lot of mat cutting in college when I had pieces in galleries.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #628
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
Mat cutting is an art form. Something you definitely need to practice at. I did a lot of mat cutting in college when I had pieces in galleries.
i did also, and i was so bad at it. To get those corners cut perfect is a pain. Not to mention the amount of blades you go thru just to get one mat cut.

Have to be perfect when it comes to mat cutting even with the tools used to do it.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #629
Hemooo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithlord32 View Post
Hard to tell sometimes. A lot of places just use tissue paper which usually isn't acid free. If its glassine paper which is acid free it will be a bit thicker and have a semi glossy side to it. The tissue paper will not affect the print in short term its just not recommended for long term storage. If you scroll to the top of the page I have a link that will help you out with methods of flattening and storage.
thanks a lot
Hemooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #630
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadaguy705 View Post
Bad news for me.

I missed out on my framed Kier art print.

I was at work today and checked my E-mail during break at 8:30am and saw an E-mail from Sideshow saying there was a problem with my Credit Card.

The E-mail went on to say that they understand things like this happen and we'd hate for you to lose your item. So what they were willing to do to help me out was to charge my credit card again on Friday morning.

But wait! This was Friday morning. The day they sent the E-mail. So basically i MIGHT have a couple hours to fix this situation.

But Sideshow. People work. I wouldn't be able to fix this situation until after work at 4pm.

Too late though. They ended up cancelling my print.

Now I understand this is on me. I was totally unaware there was an issue with my credit card. But if you're saying you're going to help your customer out, at least give him enough time to deal with the problem before cancelling his order.

I hope my Kier Art Print went to a loving home.
They usually give u a week to pay it if you have credit card issues. When the Crimson Baroness was about to charge, I had my credit card compromise. It took about 9 days to get a replacement. SSC held it for that long. I don't know if mine was an exception to holding it for that long because I was "valued" customer that spent an "X" amount of dollars from them, but I appreciated SSC for doing it.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote