Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > CKinSD Conventions

Old 02-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #21
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Looks like Tim Sale is making a return appearance!
We’ll see – he was on the list last year as well. My luck with Tim is terrible. My bet is he won’t be there if I end up being able to go. I am sure he will be there if I am not able to make it down to NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
LEE WEEKS
Lee is finally official
Great news!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Lee's a nice guy, but I didn't have a good commission experience with him. He basically ignored my request all together. His table was my first stop, I was second in line, and would have been first on his sketch list. A "no" would have been fine, but I never got any real response from him besides a half-hearted "I'll see if I have a chance to get to it". He never even put my request on his list, and he did take a list.

I got Mark Texeira to do Taskmaster instead.
Curious Sam, what did you ask Lee to draw? His response does not sound typical for Lee. I know him very well and I would feel safe in saying there was something that caused his response that might not be apparent. Lee tends to be a bit scattered at the beginning of a can so it might be as simple as that. I wouldn’t write him off for a possible future commission.

CAF
Old 02-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #23
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Reverse Mark and Lee's names, and that's been my experience. Oh.. that is, after Mark's rep (whom he's since fired) took my money up-front, even though Mark didn't show his face until late on the last day of the Con... you bet your @ss I tracked him down.

Quote:
Lee's a nice guy, but I didn't have a good commission experience with him. He basically ignored my request all together. His table was my first stop, I was second in line, and would have been first on his sketch list. A "no" would have been fine, but I never got any real response from him besides a half-hearted "I'll see if I have a chance to get to it". He never even put my request on his list, and he did take a list.

I got Mark Texeira to do Taskmaster instead.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #24
Sam
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Curious Sam, what did you ask Lee to draw? His response does not sound typical for Lee. I know him very well and I would feel safe in saying there was something that caused his response that might not be apparent. Lee tends to be a bit scattered at the beginning of a can so it might be as simple as that. I wouldn’t write him off for a possible future commission.
I asked him to do Taskmaster. I had reference material so he didn't have to wory off memory as well. I don't know if he was just scattered or what. I saw him start his list after about two or three people had hit his table and went back to double check with him since I would need to drop off my jam with him. He took the jam, looked at it, ,and again said he would do it sometime during the convention if he was able to get to it. I got the impression that if I continued to press him, he'd do it for me but didn't really want to. I'd rather have nothing from an artist than have him or her do a crap job because they don't want to do it.

If Lee had seemed more interested in doing the work, I'd certainly have had him do it. He was THE artist I wanted to do Taskmaster. No worries though, I just had to go with plan B, which was find someone else to do it.

So I got Mark to do Taskmaster instead. He did it early in the convention and decided to ink it for me basically for no charge as I had paid for a penciled piece.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #25
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
So I got Mark to do Taskmaster instead. He did it early in the convention and decided to ink it for me basically for no charge as I had paid for a penciled piece.
Awesome.

Mark "did right" by me somewhat by spending another 20 minutes on my piece when I finally caught up to him and told him I wasn't satisfied with it, but for $300... he gave me a $100 sketch.

Lots of people like it, but those who know what I paid for it agreed that I got hosed.

Just sayin'.. buyer beware with MT. He's a good guy, but he vanishes for days during cons, after taking your money.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #26
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
I asked him to do Taskmaster. I had reference material so he didn't have to wory off memory as well. I don't know if he was just scattered or what. I saw him start his list after about two or three people had hit his table and went back to double check with him since I would need to drop off my jam with him. He took the jam, looked at it, ,and again said he would do it sometime during the convention if he was able to get to it. I got the impression that if I continued to press him, he'd do it for me but didn't really want to. I'd rather have nothing from an artist than have him or her do a crap job because they don't want to do it.

If Lee had seemed more interested in doing the work, I'd certainly have had him do it. He was THE artist I wanted to do Taskmaster. No worries though, I just had to go with plan B, which was find someone else to do it.

My guess is that Lee have been uncomfortable with the character or was uncomfortable as he was just settling in. Lee wants everyone to be happy with his commissions and I can see why he may have been uncomfortable drawing Taskmaster if he hadn’t drawn him before. Just a guess. If you are still looking for something from Lee, maybe try a more familiar character and see what he says.

CAF
Old 02-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #27
Sam
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
Awesome.

Mark "did right" by me somewhat by spending another 20 minutes on my piece when I finally caught up to him and told him I wasn't satisfied with it, but for $300... he gave me a $100 sketch.

Lots of people like it, but those who know what I paid for it agreed that I got hosed.
I'm assuming the sketch in question is the Punisher that I got from you. If so, then I agree with you. I felt pretty much the same way about my Shane Davis piece. Awesome art, but I expected more for what I paid.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #28
Sam
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
My guess is that Lee have been uncomfortable with the character or was uncomfortable as he was just settling in. Lee wants everyone to be happy with his commissions and I can see why he may have been uncomfortable drawing Taskmaster if he hadn’t drawn him before. Just a guess. If you are still looking for something from Lee, maybe try a more familiar character and see what he says.
My problem with Lee isn't the guy. He's a very nice guy who seems to enjoy interacting with his fans. He enjoys his magic (I do too as I've performed magic for a number of years and even gave Lee a copy of a magic book that I wrote), and he enjoys talking with his fans. My problem is that he didn't just say he didn't want to do the character. My jam is made up of about 18 different characters and at that time only three had been done so far. I'd have been happy to let him choose one, and even said so when I saw his hesitation on Taskmaster. He was still non-commital and evasive. Perhaps that's just his personality, and I can understand that too, but it turned me off. I like Lee's work, but as much as I'd love him to work on my jam, I'm going to pass on it. He made it pretty apparent to me last year that he really wasn't interested.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #29
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
My problem with Lee isn't the guy. He's a very nice guy who seems to enjoy interacting with his fans. He enjoys his magic (I do too as I've performed magic for a number of years and even gave Lee a copy of a magic book that I wrote), and he enjoys talking with his fans. My problem is that he didn't just say he didn't want to do the character. My jam is made up of about 18 different characters and at that time only three had been done so far. I'd have been happy to let him choose one, and even said so when I saw his hesitation on Taskmaster. He was still non-commital and evasive. Perhaps that's just his personality, and I can understand that too, but it turned me off. I like Lee's work, but as much as I'd love him to work on my jam, I'm going to pass on it. He made it pretty apparent to me last year that he really wasn't interested.
Ah, I didn’t get that it was for your jam. I know some artists aren’t into jams so that might well be the reason. I would be wiling to bet that Lee was not really comfortable doing the jam but was equally not comfortable telling a fan that he was not 100% into the idea (for whatever reason) so he was caught in limbo. I can see where that might come off as non-committal but knowing Lee, the reason is more that he didn’t want to disappoint a fan.

CAF
Old 02-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #30
Sam
Hydra

That I'd believe. He seemed like a very affable person.