Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 11-25-2015, 11:30 PM   #1
AlbertR213
Sailor Moon

Your thoughts on Print Foils?

Hey guys!

I just ordered my first two prints and decided to go with foils. What do most print collectors think of them? Are they frowned upon or thought of as lesser quality than the regular ones for any reason? Just curious seeing as I really don't know much about prints and people who collect them.

I took a leap of faith and decided to go with them because I think the foil looks really good with the Delorean's design so hopefully I'm right and I'll end up liking them! I also noticed that they could be pretty "colorful" but I don't think that will bother me since I think it actually could look like the Delorean is traveling through time.

Here are the prints..

AlbertR213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
gregin8er
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I have the foil DeLorean set and they are amazing, the foil really adds to the prints on these.
It can be a bit unnecessary on a lot of prints, Grey Matter Art seem to be releasing a foil variant on a lot of prints now whether it works with the art or not, but when used right it looks great.
gregin8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

I also ordered that BTTF II foil.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:14 PM   #4
FROBAY
Phoenix

I think these are great. I ordered these back on 10/16/15 and they never shipped. You would think they would ship out everything before having a special on them. Trying to cancel them now.,
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #5
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROBAY View Post
I think these are great. I ordered these back on 10/16/15 and they never shipped. You would think they would ship out everything before having a special on them. Trying to cancel them now.,
Yeah I ordered some prints back in October and they still haven't shipped.

Don't get why they are dragging ass.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #6
AlbertR213
Sailor Moon

If it was like the stock image and pretty much just metallic looking then I would be glad with them but I don't think I will like the almost rainbow look they get at times from what I've seen from in hand pictures of these.

I might contact them and ask if I could switch them to regulars instead...don't want to risk not liking them once I get them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregin8er View Post
I have the foil DeLorean set and they are amazing, the foil really adds to the prints on these.
It can be a bit unnecessary on a lot of prints, Grey Matter Art seem to be releasing a foil variant on a lot of prints now whether it works with the art or not, but when used right it looks great.
AlbertR213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 03:23 AM   #7
gregin8er
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I'm pretty sure you'll love them, they are amongst my favourite prints.
It was a hell of a wait to get them but I thought it was worth it, plus HCG threw in a free Drake Fett (small version) for anyone who ordered during the Drake show as way of apology for the delay.
gregin8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:16 PM   #8
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

I am old school when it comes to prints, framing, etc. I don't mind foil when its minor, kinda like what Artgerm did with his Justice prints (just the Justice lettering was foil), but when it comes to something like the Back to the Future prints and having the entire border be foil....well, its just not my cup of tea. I find it distracting and would definitely pass and opt for just a clean white border, if one was available. If not, I would just pass altoegther.

Back when I was in art school, I experimented with various metallic photographic papers, which is very similar in some aspects, and while some of the prints came out pretty nice, I still VASTLY preferred the normal prints. Again, I am just old school when it comes to paper, matting, framing etc. I like keeping it simple and letting the artwork speak for itself.

That being said, its all purely subjective so if you really like the look than that is ultimately all the matters. Your buying the artwork for yourself so at the end of the day, its what you like that ultimately matters.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #9
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

i don't care for the foil prints. i think they saturated the market with them. kinda along the same lines as the "1/1" thing. i DO however think the use of the foil paper with certain prints does look great. i think the Deloreans are probably an exception. as posted above, if they were similar to the jpeg, thats solid, but, thats more of a metal print look. all the greys in the foil prints are gonna have that rainbow look to them as opposed to the matte finish they should have. just my opinion. englert hasn't done any foils, so, i don't have any. LOL.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:27 AM   #10
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I like foil paper when it's incorporated into the imagery in a creative manner. Foil borders and shiny characters alone don't do anything for me, in fact I find it distracting when it's applied unnecessarily or without consideration on adding a deeper layer to the imagery.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote