Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-31-2017, 02:13 PM   #1071
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Wonder Woman is arguable the best DC film they put out so far (although my personal preference is MOS). WW fell flat in some story telling and CGI, It's not that WW is an great movie it's just that the other DC movies were worst, so the bar was set pretty low.

(putting aside the whole females getting their 1st superior hero on the big screen hype) IMO, the First Captain America movie was better then WW... DC is still playing catch up and I don't see them as a real threat to Marvel at this time with Snyder in control. I wish it wasn't so being I'm more of a DC fan then Marvel one but that's my honest opinion.

The only thing going for DC is that Comic stuff is a hot market right now, even if you don't make something great people are still going to see it.

Don't get me wrong WW was a fun summer flick to watch but I have no desire to see it more then once, which is my personal indicator that it was ok but nothing awesome.

Yeah you would think having the Trinity on the big screen would be huge money but the bottom line is the writing was bad which you can only blame Snyder for. I also think it would of been bigger if they would of had a Batman and WW solo movies before Batman vs Superman.
Maybe, but I agree that better writing was needed, and would have helped immensely. I'm hoping they turn it around before they get to the Batman solo films, if they mess that up I'll be heart broken, if they get it right I can just pretend BvS doesn't exist.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:12 PM   #1072
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Still going strong!

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/07/542087...-for-hollywood
wktf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:40 PM   #1073
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
I finally got around to seeing this movie.... Overall it was pretty good but I did feel like the story was kind of weak in some parts and they went overboard with CGI. If your going to do CGI you got to make it look realistic and not cartoony looking. Not to mention it was so obvious when they used green screen backgrounds. When it's fake looking like that it just takes you out of the movie.

Even though it had some humor in it, they missed an opportunity with the side characters they had, you could tell they were bigger then life characters yet they were barely given any lines. They could of added a lot of humor to the movie....

Zack Snyder its pretty good with action like Michael Bay but like Michael bay he sucks when it comes to the story part of the movie. This has been the biggest problem with Snyder's movies, I know 300 was a great hit for him but that story only needed to be simple to begin with which played into Snyder's strengths...

I really wish DC would break ties with Snyder and find someone who has more of a talent with story telling....

Still WW was better then SS and slightly better then BvS... But fell short of MOS.... MOS had superior special effects and thanks to Nolan laying the ground work it had a better story IMO.

That's because DC got female viewers hyped for this movie. I have a feeling WW had just as many female viewers as it did male, where as most of your other comic book movies is probably dominated by male viewers... Just guessing though...
I agree with your assessment here. I liked Wonder Woman a lot...but I liked Man of Steel better. I know many didn't like Man of Steel, but I loved it. No, I didn't like seeing Superman kill someone. And, I like others felt that Superman would have tried to move the battle ground outside of the city so as to save lives, but I still loved this movie. I also felt like Faora Ul was a much more frightening villain than Zod. She was cold and calculating, whereas Zod was a mad, ranting loon. I'd love to see Faora come back and duke it our with Supes, and with Wonder Woman too.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:38 AM   #1074
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I enjoyed BvS, MOS and Wonder Woman. Think I liked WW the most of the 3
Old 08-08-2017, 01:30 AM   #1075
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
I agree with your assessment here. I liked Wonder Woman a lot...but I liked Man of Steel better. I know many didn't like Man of Steel, but I loved it. No, I didn't like seeing Superman kill someone. And, I like others felt that Superman would have tried to move the battle ground outside of the city so as to save lives, but I still loved this movie. I also felt like Faora Ul was a much more frightening villain than Zod. She was cold and calculating, whereas Zod was a mad, ranting loon. I'd love to see Faora come back and duke it our with Supes, and with Wonder Woman too.
Superman Killing Zod was Snyder's idea. It didn't bother me like it did other fans, but I do think a lot of people were probably enjoying the movie right up to that part and then went "I hate this movie"

The thing about Marvel movies is I feel like I get to know the characters really well but with DC movies, there just seems to be such little in the way of character development. MOS was better then most of the other DC movies but again I think that had to do more with Nolan doing the basic story so Snyder couldn't screw it up to bad, well except for the Zod thing

As for CGI, I know Marvel also uses a lot of CGI but it just feels like they use it better to enhance scenes where DC takes the George Lucus route and uses CGI for everything, they need to scale back on the CGI and use more real life locations and just use CGI to enhance it. It's the one thing I loved about Nolan's Batman series is he used very little in the CGI department, it made the movie feel more real. Because of all the CGI Wonder Woman felt a bit more like a live action Comic Book then a real movie. Even scenes in the Justice League trailer looks like they went the Wonder Woman route with over the top CGI... I still enjoy the movies but I think if they could scale back on all the CGI which can come off as cheesy looking it would make the movies even better.

Good example was the battle field where Wonder Woman climbs up and charges the enemy, it should of felt epic but instead it felt so small because all they did was put her in front of a green screen.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:20 AM   #1076
Vracula
Jedi Order

I am not a big fan of superman but MOS was great.

BVS is my fav of the three. I think Eisenberg was the weak link, I actually don't have problem with theatrical cut apart from Eisenberg. Terrible choice. Doomsday kinda sucked too.

WW is the weakest for me. I think they had all the working parts but a few amateurish choices in direction,dialogue ,script and CGI were a let down. But as long as the WW fans are happy thats all that matters and I have yet to meet one that doesn't like it.

I have to admit I wasn't happy with Gal Gadot as WW in BVS , but the WW movie totally got me on board. Kudos to Snyder ,great picks on the trinity team.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:55 PM   #1077
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Superman Killing Zod was Snyder's idea. It didn't bother me like it did other fans, but I do think a lot of people were probably enjoying the movie right up to that part and then went "I hate this movie"

The thing about Marvel movies is I feel like I get to know the characters really well but with DC movies, there just seems to be such little in the way of character development. MOS was better then most of the other DC movies but again I think that had to do more with Nolan doing the basic story so Snyder couldn't screw it up to bad, well except for the Zod thing

As for CGI, I know Marvel also uses a lot of CGI but it just feels like they use it better to enhance scenes where DC takes the George Lucus route and uses CGI for everything, they need to scale back on the CGI and use more real life locations and just use CGI to enhance it. It's the one thing I loved about Nolan's Batman series is he used very little in the CGI department, it made the movie feel more real. Because of all the CGI Wonder Woman felt a bit more like a live action Comic Book then a real movie. Even scenes in the Justice League trailer looks like they went the Wonder Woman route with over the top CGI... I still enjoy the movies but I think if they could scale back on all the CGI which can come off as cheesy looking it would make the movies even better.

Good example was the battle field where Wonder Woman climbs up and charges the enemy, it should of felt epic but instead it felt so small because all they did was put her in front of a green screen.
1. David Goyer decided to kill Zod in MoS. Something Nolan AND Snyder rejected at first before Goyer convinced them otherwise. You can watch it straight from the horses mouth on the DVD IIRC;

2. GotG V2 was a straight up animated film there was so much CG and Ragnorok looks to be even more guilty of that;

3. .....the no Man 's Land Scene was shot on a 300 yard practical set

"The “No Man’s Land” scene was shot over two weeks on an outdoor set in London that was 300 yards in size and extremely muddy. This led to a change of the major shot in the scene.

Jensen and his crew set up wire rigs above the muddy set to hold the camera still and also give it smooth movement. In the frigid winter weather, Gadot went up the ladder for her Wonder Woman reveal numerous times as Jensen tried to get the shot right. Gadot would then go back down into the trench and be covered with coats and blankets as the camera and wire rig would take 15 minutes to reset."

Granted there were CG elements, as is the case with every film, but the vast majority of it was practical.
http://www.businessinsider.com/wonde...ne-shot-2017-6

Last edited by Matches Malone; 08-08-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:05 AM   #1078
built2shred
Phoenix

Haven't seen GotG 2 yet, so can't say in regards to that film. As for MOS Zod scene didn't know it was Goyer, in articles I read that Snyder had final say on it.

IMO the shot below looks like she's in front of a green screen. So do a lot of the close up scenes. The far away shots do look to be shot on location.

EDIT: Reading the article they did say that when she climbs out of the trench and starts walking (as shown below) they did use green screens.

One thing about the scene I think that makes it feel less epic is there should of been hundreds of Germans on the front line yet they only showed like 12? Now when the allies are running across the field yeah it looks like 40-50 guys.. but I'm not sure why you would setup a scene were nobody could get across because of all the men on both sides yet when they get to the German side there's hardly anyone there.

The scene just was not that intense to me, probably didn't help she had a small shield and the machine gunner just aimed at that the whole time instead of shooting her unprotected legs. I don't know, for me a lot of the action scenes felt a bit flat, not a lot of intensity. Just my opinion...

built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:41 AM   #1079
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
1. David Goyer decided to kill Zod in MoS. Something Nolan AND Snyder rejected at first before Goyer convinced them otherwise. You can watch it straight from the horses mouth on the DVD IIRC;

2. GotG V2 was a straight up animated film there was so much CG and Ragnorok looks to be even more guilty of that;

3. .....the no Man 's Land Scene was shot on a 300 yard practical set

"The “No Man’s Land” scene was shot over two weeks on an outdoor set in London that was 300 yards in size and extremely muddy. This led to a change of the major shot in the scene.

Jensen and his crew set up wire rigs above the muddy set to hold the camera still and also give it smooth movement. In the frigid winter weather, Gadot went up the ladder for her Wonder Woman reveal numerous times as Jensen tried to get the shot right. Gadot would then go back down into the trench and be covered with coats and blankets as the camera and wire rig would take 15 minutes to reset."

Granted there were CG elements, as is the case with every film, but the vast majority of it was practical.
http://www.businessinsider.com/wonde...ne-shot-2017-6
At this point you'd think they'd stop letting Goyer write comic book films. I know he had a hand in the Dark Knight trilogy but those scripts had major rewrites by the Nolans. Just let him write crappy horror films, at least those I can avoid more easily.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:03 AM   #1080
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I enjoyed BvS, MOS and Wonder Woman. Think I liked WW the most of the 3
Yeah, WW for me was the most enjoyable, followed by MoS and then BvS.

Quote:
I enjoyed MoS as it showed what would really happen if two powerhouse men duked it out in the city, mass destruction and death. Killing Zod was perfect and I would not have wanted it any other way. Who in their right mind would let someone like him live, having the risk of him escaping from whatever prison he is placed in, whether the Phantom zone or Earth built prison?
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote