Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

12 Monkeys TV Series

'12 Monkeys' Adaptation Near Series Order at Syfy (Exclusive)
Interesting, didn't see this coming.

My friend Terry Matalas who was part of the Time Machine Restoration project, also a writer on Nikita, Terra Nova and Star Trek: Enterprise is writing this show along with Travis Fickett.

12 Monkeys is one of my favourite sci-fi films and I am really looking forward to this. Though I think the movie is great on its own, I like the idea of exploring the world of 12 Monkeys further, with both the present and post-apocalyptic world which will likely be established in the series in a different way.

Some bits from the article:

"Feature film producers Chuck Roven and Richard Suckle from Atlas Entertainment -- one of the production companies on board the Universal film -- submitted the pitch, which is being eyed as a 90-minute backdoor pilot that would eventually lead to a straight-to-series order in a fashion similar to Syfy's Battlestar Galactica.

Terry Matalas (Nikita, Terra Nova, Star Trek: Enterprise) and Travis Fickett (Nikita, Terra Nova) will pen the script, with 24's Jon Cassar on board to direct.

We have a great pilot, we're now flushing out what the rest of the series might be," Syfy president of original programming Mark Stern told The Hollywood Reporter.

12 Monkeys comes as Syfy looks to beef up its original scripted fare following the successful launch of pricey drama Defiance. The network is looking to add five to six new original scripted projects for 2014 to join Helix, which also was picked up straight to series."

We're looking at short orders, maybe eight to 10 [episodes] as opposed to 13," Stern said. "Some may be [split runs of] 10 and 10. Our goal is to do five or six original scripted series a year and a big tentpole event miniseries that could also possibly serve as a backdoor pilot to a series as well the way that Battlestar Galactica did. It's an exciting time for us."

"We have a half-dozen scripts that are all pretty amazing in their own way," Stern said of Syfy's development pipeline. "It's a return to our roots in terns of science-fiction: cool, interesting push-the-genre science fiction. Some we're looking at doing straight to series because you really want to give them the flexibility and do a closed-ended arced run. Some of them are going to be traditional pilots, then we'll decide and they may be a bit more episodic."
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

12 Monkeys Trailer - YouTube

Trailer got released couple of months ago. I will be giving it a try. Of course I don't think they can evoke the same feel and atmosphere of Gilliam's film even if they tried. They will likely have to come up with their own bleak tone to the series, while trying to mimic the movie. But I wish the tone of the show appeared little more bleak.

Last edited by Spideristic; 09-30-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Syfy's 12 Monkeys Immediately Distinguishes Itself from the 1995 Film
Review of the pilot episode from the NYCC screening.

Trailer - '12 Monkeys' - Syfy - YouTube
New Trailer.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
randy_marsh
I am da law!

I don't see this working out to be too great of a sci-fi show,however I guess it's a better idea than most of what syfy does anymore.
randy_marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:58 AM   #5
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

The actor Aaron Stanford playing Cole was Pyro in X2 and X-Men: The Last Stand and did a decent job in that role. Zeljko Ivanek playing Leland Frost was great in the series Damages, he also won an Emmy for that. And I liked Kirk Acevedo when he was on Fringe and though he had a small role in it he did good in the recent Apes movie. I can't comment on Amanda Schull as I haven't seen Suits where she is a regular.

So I think it's a good cast, so despite how the trailer has been cut, I am hoping they play out well in the actual episodes.

I am always in for a good time travel story, so based on the pilot if the premise keeps my attention, then I will have a new sci-fi show to look forward to.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
randy_marsh
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideristic View Post
The actor Aaron Stanford playing Cole was Pyro in X2 and X-Men: The Last Stand and did a decent job in that role. Zeljko Ivanek playing Leland Frost was great in the series Damages, he also won an Emmy for that. And I liked Kirk Acevedo when he was on Fringe and though he had a small role in it he did good in the recent Apes movie. I can't comment on Amanda Schull as I haven't seen Suits where she is a regular.

So I think it's a good cast, so despite how the trailer has been cut, I am hoping they play out well in the actual episodes.

I am always in for a good time travel story, so based on the pilot if the premise keeps my attention, then I will have a new sci-fi show to look forward to.
Interesting, Yeah Acevedo is pretty good in most his roles.Thanks for the info maybe it will be worth giving it a shot.
randy_marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #7
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

12 Monkeys pilot episode airs tonight.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:13 AM   #8
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Despite its plot familiarity the pilot of 12 Monkeys manages to setup an intriguing premise that will have me coming for more. The rules of time travel and paradox established by the show could offer some unique possibilities in storytelling including visuals.

They were quite a good team and I'm looking forward to see how Cole and Railly embark again with the other new characters. And another thing I want in the show is to see more of the dystopian future.

The movie is one of my favourite sci-fi films and the show has managed to re-imagine the world without really being a retread.

William Shatner enjoyed the pilot of 12 Monkeys and wrote some funny tweets about it. I recommend reading his other tweets after watching the episode.

Last edited by Spideristic; 01-17-2015 at 05:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #9
protector2814
Phoenix

I didn't care for the original 12 Monkeys movie at all. Zero interest in a show based off it.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #10
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

First two episodes have been okay. It's got potential. Never a fan of the original movie.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote