Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 11-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
nyresjudicata1
Frackin!

Bowen Batman Statue - I need help on paint touch ups

Hi all,

I just purchased a Bowen FS Batman statue, which will require several paint touch ups due to paint flaking. I've never touched up or painted a statue before. I don't have the statue in hand just yet, but there are 4 areas that needed touch ups - the left and right side of the gargoyle's head, and the front and back of the cape, see pics -- http://cgi.ebay.com/Batman-Gargoyle-...item2eb0dfcdcd

I don't plan to airbrush this, but hand paint it with a regular brush. Do you have any tips on how to tackle this, including acrylic colors to get, mixing it, applying it, brush type, etc.? I would think at the very least I will need to get flat acrylic colors, including Black, Blue, White and Grey.

I would greatly appreciate any advice and feedback on this! Thanks in advance.
nyresjudicata1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
jsoex
Justice League

The early DC statues have been known to have flaking problems. My Batman and Lobo statues have flaking problems. Someday, when I have the time, I'm going to repaint them.

If I were you, I would strip off all the original paint and repaint the entire statue. Painting on top of the original paint isn't a good idea because:

1) You'll have a hard time getting the new paint to match the original colors

2) you'll still be able to see large missing flakes underneath the new paint because the surface isn't even

3) the old paint will continue to flake off, so any new paint added will flake off as well. It'll be years and years of constant touch up.

4) the original paint job was poor to begin with; even a novice could do a better job repainting the statue. My Batman and Lobo statues are eyesores due to their poor paint jobs; which is why I plan to repaint them (eventually). If you repaint the statue, then it can be something that you're proud of, instead of an eyesore.

The original statue's value has already been diminished by the flaking paint job, so you might as well repaint the entire thing. The value will continue to get worse as more paint flakes off. Trying to preserve the original paint job will lead to years of hassle. Besides, it'll remain a statue with a cheap paint job with missing paint flakes.

If you decide to repaint the entire statue, then strip off all the original paint (use lacquer thinner, acetone, oven cleaner, Pine Sol, or Castrol Super Clean, etc.), wash off the statue with soap and water, prime the statue, then repaint and seal it off with a paint sealer (matte finish, Testors Dull Cote, or any other paint sealer - just avoid using gloss coat because that'll make the statue look cheap).

The key is that you want the new paint to adhere to the statue. The reason the old paint job is flaking off is because it didn't adhere to the statue, which (IIRC) I believe is because the mold release was never washed off. Primer (which the original statue lacks) greatly increases paint adhesion.

If you're too afraid to repaint the statue yourself then you might be able to find a painter lurking around to do it for you. The rates would vary depending on the painter.

Last edited by jsoex; 11-03-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: .
jsoex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
skorpsta
Ghost

i had the same problem also in certain areas the paint did flake...what i did was sand down the flaking areas of paint then primed it then completely repainted it then sealed it with testors dull coat it has been repainted almost 2 years and i dont have any problems click on my statue repaint link and you will see it.. by stripping it yes it would be the proper way...but i stay away from the that toxic stuff...well its up to you.. good luck.

http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/a...e69/?start=all
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
jsoex
Justice League

That repainted Batman looks fantastic, Skorpsta! Your Batman statue is a great example of how a new paint job can greatly enhance the statue.
jsoex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
nyresjudicata1
Frackin!

Thanks for the tips and advice guys, I appreciate it!
nyresjudicata1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
skorpsta
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoex View Post
That repainted Batman looks fantastic, Skorpsta! Your Batman statue is a great example of how a new paint job can greatly enhance the statue.
hey thanks so much iam very happy had turned out!!..thanks again
Old 11-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
blazingb
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

To be honest I think your touch is far better then the original!
blazingb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:38 PM   #8
skorpsta
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingb View Post
To be honest I think your touch is far better then the original!
thanks so much!