Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #1811
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotic View Post
The lighting cheapens the whole piece, I for one am alright with them not adding costs to the piece for a light gimmick that I'll never use and will cause more issues if it stops working later on.

That's very subjective, it depends how said light effect it used. I need only to point towards my Sideshow Pacific Rim Knifehead statue to demonstrate how a light feature can work wonders when done right. They certainly don't "cheapen" well made statues inherently. Not that I'm arguing this should have one, I don't really mind...

As for the cost, I believe we've seen light features removed from production items in the past with no affect on the cost.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #1812
Aphotic
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I'm sure they can be done well, but in general lighting is seldom used. If there's an issue with the lighting, a bad wire or connection and it breaks, the piece will take a hit in terms of value as well. I'm not 100% against lighting haha and you're right it is completely subjective, I just don't find myself using it as often as I thought I would in the beginning.

I'm sure that they wont reduce the price because they removed a feature but I'm pretty sure they'll add to the price if they add a feature.
Aphotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:22 PM   #1813
#Brian
Shadowhawk

The only way I would use ligthing is if it has an AC plug instead of batteries and led bulbs that can be changed.

Otherwise you have1. Battery change out often if you want to leave it on every night, 2.battery leakage 3.light bulbs burning out eventually.

With AC power and replaceable LED bulbs you just leave it on all the time, costs 2 bucks a year to power.
#Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:23 PM   #1814
Odank
Fantastic Four

This piece looks amazing in the promo trailer. I am a bit cautious that the factory will maintain that level of paint app quality and fine detail but here's hoping. SS always enhances their statue presentations with lighting effects and post production enhancements to their prototypes so they look their best of course. I like this take on the character as much as XM's take - just more intricate it looks like. The throne is fantastic and communicates the tech advancements afforded to the Mad Titan. Yes he does have a "stumpy" look to him but that is reinforced by many examples in the source material interpretations as well, so it's a creative decision as opposed to an "accurate" one. I would have liked if there was a swap out option of the left hand, preferably with a closed/clenched fist or splayed out hand in power mode. I paid near 1500 to get XM's version so this is not that bad even if it is > 1k. However the final production quality has to be there with no sacrifices/compromises to the prototype they are promoting.
Odank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #1815
Cougrcrumby
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
spoiler alert: youre passing... so you can just abandon this thread now
I'm guessing 1200.
Cougrcrumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #1816
takaboi
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

You guys really want lighting effect on an expensive piece?
3-5 years later what if you turn on your switch and it doesn't work? Will you consider selling it at half and try and buy a new one from someone else? What if 2 years after you bought your new one the lights become dimmer?
takaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:40 PM   #1817
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

I think if you're going to keep this piece forever and never plan to sell (which is what I intend to do), a light up feature is fine as long as it looks good with the lights on or off.

However, if the time comes that you ever have to sell this piece and that light feature ceases to function correctly, be prepared to lose 25-40% of the value in your sale.
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #1818
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Ok it's settled, "no" to light up features
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #1819
ambasah
Red Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpuik View Post
How much did that hand go for?
around $250-$300 I believe.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:55 PM   #1820
ChaFoShizzle
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

But... I want a light up feature .
ChaFoShizzle is offline   Reply With Quote