Fremen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:44 PM   #322
supermetroid
Teen Titans

supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:17 AM   #323
demonhunter
Kingpin

I was doing little bits of touch ups on my Mark 42 Sideshow Maquette last night with Tamiya acrylic paint for the silver parts. The thing I noticed is that, the statue , a number of them suffered from poor paint jobs because the statue itself lacks the grooves in the armour. What I mean by that, is we all know the armour is modular with many parts, and hence, many mechanical grooves and panel lines. But what I found out yesterday night while painting was that many of these lines are not etched deep enough. In fact, some of them are not even etched at all. The painters at the factory had to just brush on black lines to give the illusion there is a groove on certain parts. 2ndly, I think Sideshow could have improved on this piece by making the limbs like the arms detachable. Because it is one big piece, the entire torso and limbs are all one piece, it makes it hard to reach certain nooks, corners with the paint brush to get all the details on the lines and panels. If the arms were detachable, the painters could have painted it more easily. Despite what most people think that if it's a bigger statue, it's easier to paint, and there should be no mistakes. My take on this is that, when a statue is smaller let's say 1/6 or 1/7, the mistakes are not that noticeable. On a small piece, a wobbly line still looks straight. On a big piece, as the line is bigger too, the wobbiliness is so much bigger and more noticeable. So all said and done, the Chinese housewives that painted this piece did a considerably good job I'd say, especially brushing on the panel lines on parts where, as far as the sculpt is concerned has no real etched line on the sculpt. The groove is not there. They had to paint it on.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote