Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 08-16-2016, 04:52 PM   #4061
Joppula
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
For all it got right SFIV was a success because it had been so long since a SF game or any "proper" fighting game. Expecting a similar result before giving a new fanbase time to age in isn't realistic.

You would think making the game wouldn't be that difficult compared to more world based 3-D games. Even the engine at least seem similar. Right when SFVwas released a good friend and I were at a convention with a torunament for the game on some small 720p monitors. At that resolution when we first walked up we thought it was just still SFIV and started to walk away, until we noticed the subway clock level!

They really should at least try to do a hi-res 2D Darkstalkers like Guilty Gear and BlazBlue. If Arc System Works can make money at it so can Capcom.

Honestly I think Capcom relies too heavily on their classic tentpoles for support.
No offense meant here, but I'm not sure exactly what this is supposed to mean?

Because the monitor was $hitty you mistook it for a game from 2008?

SFV has its shortcomings, but graphics certainly aren't one of them.

People post whole articles based of high resolution stills of the game. It's visually stunning.

In fact, the models have evolved to the point where PCS can simply print a game file and it's on par with what any digital sculptor can produce.

They can literally just make a statue of what you see on screen. That's pretty awesome!

Just my two cents on that topic.
Joppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:05 PM   #4062
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppula View Post
No offense meant here, but I'm not sure exactly what this is supposed to mean?

Because the monitor was $hitty you mistook it for a game from 2008?

SFV has its shortcomings, but graphics certainly aren't one of them.

People post whole articles based of high resolution stills of the game. It's visually stunning.

In fact, the models have evolved to the point where PCS can simply print a game file and it's on par with what any digital sculptor can produce.

They can literally just make a statue of what you see on screen. That's pretty awesome!

Just my two cents on that topic.

No just that without a higher res monitor it looked very similar.

The game is definitely an improvement but for me more evolutionary than revolutionary especially design wise.

Technically the PS3 went from 512 RAM to 8 GB for the PS4 and with all the other techno improvements higher polygon counts and better textures for a modern system were expected. If this was a ground up new engine that first impression didn't look like it.

Alpha was a big change from SFII, then SFIII was a big change and so too SFIV but V seems more like a progression to a high res SFIV which I think would have been better received a couple of years ago.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #4063
Alpha_Flight
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:

The game is definitely an improvement but for me more evolutionary than revolutionary especially design wise.

Technically the PS3 went from 512 RAM to 8 GB for the PS4 and with all the other techno improvements higher polygon counts and better textures for a modern system were expected. If this was a ground up new engine that first impression didn't look like it.

Alpha was a big change from SFII, then SFIII was a big change and so too SFIV but V seems more like a progression to a high res SFIV which I think would have been better received a couple of years ago.
QFT
Alpha_Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #4064
Joppula

Quote:

I see the point you're Making, but disagree with most of the logic behind it. But we agree on at least one point.

First let me say that with the Exception of the EX series I'm a huge fan of the graphics in Every SF series. Including The VS series excluding MVC3.

That being said, let's be real here.

SF1 to SF2 was a graphical improvement. But it was incremental. More Sprites, more colors. It was the evolution from CPS1 to CPS2.

SFA series and VS series were beautiful. But ran on CPS2, just like SF2. Stunning, yet still incremental. More sprites, more colors.

SF3 ran on CPS3. Capcom's most advanced Sprite based software/hardware. A jump in Sprites, colors and frames of animation. But still incremental! While SF3 is my favorite SF to look at, it's not that dramatic a leap that it changed the way we view SF.

Ten years later. 2007/08

SF4. Arguably the largest visual change to the series. But rightfully so. It transitioned the series from sprites to polygons. And imho did a brilliant job of finally bringing the ART of SF into a 3D (2.5D) world. A task at which SFEX failed miserably.

Obviously this was a massive leap because it was a complete overhaul for the series. I'd say this is the only time the series was graphically Revolutionary rather than Evolutionary .

SFV. It's using Unreal Engine 4. In my opinion it's graphically stunning and blows the SF4 models out of the water.

But it is definitely Evolutionary, on that point we agree. But that isn't to the games detriment, as most of the SF series has been evolving through every version.

If you're saying that after 8 years of SF4 you expected a similar graphical leap that was experienced from SF3 to SF4, I'd say that's just unrealistic. As graphics haven't made the same technological leaps from 2008- 2016 that were made from 1999- 2008.

Presently I'd say SFV graphics are on par with or better than every current generation fighter including GG, Killer Instinct MKXL and Tekken 7.

In closing I'd like to say that in terms of graphics the Street Fighter series has always favored Evolution over Revolution, with the exception being SF3 to SF4.

However to its credit I believe gameplay to be the contrary. The series is constantly innovative and reinventing itself with every version.

I'm sure we agree Street Fighter sets the bar for fighting games!

Cheers.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #4065
Joppula

For everyone's viewing pleasure. Check this persons site out. There are amazing SFV high definition stills. All featuring 'in game graphics'. Some of the stills even feature mods.

Link below. Enjoy!

http://deadendthrills.com/gallery/?gid=145
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	97751  
Old 08-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #4066
SkyPirate82
Death is hereditary.

Cheers for the link, Joppula. Some really good captures found there.
SkyPirate82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:27 PM   #4067
strife87
Spider-Ham

Scored these the other day and they arrived this afternoon. Glad i was able to add them to my collection. Only missing the first ono card. Wasn't concerned with owning the ono cards but this one came with the bundle. Hope capcom does the bosses and the new challengers in the next couple years.

Final result minus akuma, who is hanging with the statue.

Edited to add pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160824_171151-1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	97796   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160824_170444.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	97797   Click image for larger version

Name:	1472086991954-233318921.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	97806  
strife87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #4068
Oni_Akuma_1982
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Very well done ! Congratulations
Oni_Akuma_1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #4069
strife87
Spider-Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni_Akuma_1982 View Post
Very well done ! Congratulations
Thanks oni . Waiting on my card stands to arrive Saturday so i can display them properly.
strife87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:06 PM   #4070
Klear Knives
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Sweet score man! What cases do you have them in?
Klear Knives is offline   Reply With Quote