Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches > Art Stories

Old 11-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #11
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

After some thought. Y'know what I figure I'll say who it is in my case. I edited my original post.

Pretty sure that's why he posts about not wanting art direction nowadays too.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:23 PM   #12
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

yikes. while im not a fan of his art, im surprised to hear of who it is given the relatively good things I heard about him.

that said, you were probably better off not keeping the art - saw it on caf and the piece looks off - and its not just earrings!
Old 11-04-2015, 09:26 AM   #13
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
yikes. while im not a fan of his art, im surprised to hear of who it is given the relatively good things I heard about him.

that said, you were probably better off not keeping the art - saw it on caf and the piece looks off - and its not just earrings!
Yeah I never actually heard anything negative relating to him before, so I was surprised by the interaction.

There are certainly a few things off about it, but I was still happy with it, like I said. It's a shame though.

It felt largely like he didn't want to do comissions per se but instead just a "Tell me what character you'd like and I'll do everything and have total control over how it looks and comes out." instead.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:59 AM   #14
risingstar
Jedi Order

I'm trying to think of another industry where we might find the hired help coming off with such an exaggerated sense of entitlement. I mean, even multi-million dollar athletes and musicians must face the music when they produce less than what's expected or hoped from them. In the end, it comes off like such a roll of the dice. It seems like you just have to hope the artist produces what you want because if he/she doesn't, you're generally screwed as some of these artists come off so unapologetic and unapproachable to any kind of criticism, it's awfully unsettling. I've avoided a number of artists based on the unprofessional behavior reported on the boards.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #15
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

I've got another one...

Met a famous artist/animator at the Miami Comic Con earlier this summer and commission him for a piece.

Going on 5 months now and nothing from him.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:49 AM   #16
The13thWarlock
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

When I remodeled my bathroom, I picked out the fixtures, the tile, the paint, the tub... You name it. I had a contract that included a start date and a completion date and what would happen if the completion date was not met. Now, I have a great bathroom.

Shouldn't be much different when you hire an artist. If this is how they make their money, then there should be a contract involved and you should get what you want. If they are just going to do what they want, there's no sense in calling it a commission. I think they call that a grab bag...

Now, this being said... I just commissioned some work with none of that! Lol! But, I'm pretty comfortable with the artist and will most likely be 100% satisfied with his work. So there is a trust factor there.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #17
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The13thWarlock View Post
Shouldn't be much different when you hire an artist. If this is how they make their money, then there should be a contract involved and you should get what you want. If they are just going to do what they want, there's no sense in calling it a commission. I think they call that a grab bag...
Yep. That's basically what my initial story basically came off as. The artist taking the commission and excusing not doing what I asked as artistic license.

I'm guessing he does something similar still, but I'd rather not bother looking to see.