Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Artist's Alley

Old 07-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
why? What's the point? It's just a pathetic waste of money when you have thousands of people dying and starving on THIS planet, not to mention the carbon emmissions Space launches produces.

Shouldn't we worry about our own world first before exploring others?

for thought
What is your point?

We haven't gone anywhere and there are still thousands (more like millions) of people dying and starving.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #12
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

you are saying that it's a "little disappointing that we have not gone further" with space travel

and I am simply replying why are we bothering?

Why launch space shuttles that cost billions per launch - not to mention keep in suitable condition - when they do bother to
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #13
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Fair enough.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #14
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
why? What's the point? It's just a pathetic waste of money when you have thousands of people dying and starving on THIS planet, not to mention the carbon emmissions Space launches produces.

for thought
Exploring space IS learning how to care for our world better. We learn by doing.

Learning how to live in space teaches us about closed ecosystems, our very earth IS a spacecraft afterall, do you understand that?

The benefits of human spaceflight enhance humanity beyond measure in thousands of ways.

Google "NASA spinoffs".

There are people that would not be alive today without NASA doing what it does.

Why Space, Why Explore?

Astronaut Story Musgrave...........

"We have no choice, Sir. It is the Nature of Humanity, it is the Nature of Life

The Globe was created and Life Evolved, and you look at every single cubic millimeter on this Earth, You can go 30,000 feet down below the Earth surface, You can go 40,000 feet up in the air and Life is There. When you look at the globe down there, you see Teeming Life Everywhere

It is the Power of Life, And maybe I am not just a Human up here, you know. Now Life is Leaping off the Planet. It is heading to other parts of the Solar System, other parts of the Universe

There are those kinds of Pressures. It isn't simply politics, it is not simply technology, it is really not just the essence of humanity, but it is sort of also, you could look at it as maybe the Essence of Life. I think Teilhard de Chardin, in Phenomenon of Man, I believe he put that incredibly well. So those kind of Forces are at Work. It is the nature of humans to be exploratory and to Push On

Yes, it costs resources and it does cost a lot, and there is a risk, there is a penalty, there is a down side, but Exploration and Pioneering, I think those are the critical things, it is the Essence of what Human Beings are, and that is to try to understand their Universe and to try to participate in the entire Universe and not just their little Neighborhood" -Story Musgrave

"We must not cease from exploration, and at the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we began, and to know it for the first time."
T.S. Eliot

"You have to keep pushing the frontier not
just because it's there, but because that's how we find things that end up changing humanity," -Paul Hill, Mission Control

Can you understand that?

It's no different from those that pressed out of Africa into the rest of the world.

It's fundamental to our success as species that we explore with human presence.

Stephen Hawking.......................

"The discovery of the New World made a profound difference on the old...

"Spreading out into space will have an even greater effect," he added. "It will completely change the future of the human race, and maybe determine whether we have any future at all."

You and the world you know would not even exist, if not for the human pioneering spirit.

Your very existance is owed to those that went beyond the horizon. It was dangerous, it was expensive, and often deadly, and the payoff sometimes does not come for centuries. But YOU exist because they had the courage and understanding to explore the unknowns of this world.

And it is also chump change compared to how we spend our tax dollars. It is not why we have other problems on earth.

Note how incredibly small NASA spending is compard to health and human services.....

http://www.federalbudget.com/chart.gif
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #15
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
you are saying that it's a "little disappointing that we have not gone further" with space travel

and I am simply replying why are we bothering?

Why launch space shuttles that cost billions per launch - not to mention keep in suitable condition - when they do bother to
Shuttle launches do not cost "Billions"
A launch costs 100 million dollars more then Transformers II made.

Spaceflight is actually very new to the human race.
The ocean is littered with ships of discovery that did not make it home. It's the nature of exploration and the frontier. There is risk to manage, and sometimes you pay a high price, but the risk is worht it.

They launch about six a year. The flight manifest has been very busy with building the international space station. Stressing INTERNATIONAL space station there. Other nations are very eager to be up there with us too. For good reasons.

The nations that lead on the frontiers, dictate the course of human history.

EDIT
correction

A shuttle launch costs 200 million dollars LESS then what Transformers II made......

Worldwide: $703,435,893
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:58 AM   #16
The Batman Professor
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:

for thought
The space program is not advancing starvation. Corruption and greed keep millions hungry. Just ask a North Korean.

If we do not explore and later colonize other planets outside of our solar system, all of the endeavors of Mankind will have been for nothing.

"Global Warming" and cooling, has occurred for millennia, and the impact mankind has on the process is debatable. Research suggests that the "Roman Warm Period" was significantly warmer than the cycle we are currently experiencing. It's just unfortunate that the alarmists who seek to exploit climate for their own political and monetary gain can't blame that cycle on George W. Bush.

Can we please set aside political bickering and celebrate history? That's what I hope to do with my books for young readers.
The Batman Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #17
The Batman Professor
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Oh yeah, thanks for the kind words regarding my artwork.
The Batman Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:56 AM   #18
Igo
Producer
Producer

Oh man, looks like we need to duke it out even more

Great work man, great sense of composition, especially in the first piece.

Congrats with the invite man, good luck with the signings.
Igo is offline   Reply With Quote