Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-17-2019, 02:16 PM   #25711
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

I did some more digging and its very annoying that the Midsommar director's cut is an apple TV exclusive, is this the future of directors cut releases? I'd never buy into apple TV just for this, all this does is encourage piracy. The only official bluray release of the directors cut is in PAL format, not even region free, blech very dissapointing. I was going to buy the regular bluray but not anymore since I found out about this directors cut business, not going to support these kinds of things
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #25712
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

The Thing (1982) - 10/10

Everything is on point with this film. Acting, narrative, effects, cinematography, music. Cinematic perfection. Nuff said.

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:29 PM   #25713
Mister H
Gen 13

Lots of great horror from late 70's through early-mid 80's. Must have been something in the water.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #25714
protector2814
Phoenix

I love The Thing (1982) & have probably watched it 10 or more times, but I actually prefer the original. The Thing From Another World (1951) is a superb example of 1950's, B&W sci-fi. It goes toe-to-toe with any of them.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #25715
Armored_Berserk
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I did some more digging and its very annoying that the Midsommar director's cut is an apple TV exclusive, is this the future of directors cut releases? I'd never buy into apple TV just for this, all this does is encourage piracy. The only official bluray release of the directors cut is in PAL format, not even region free, blech very dissapointing. I was going to buy the regular bluray but not anymore since I found out about this directors cut business, not going to support these kinds of things
For once we have the best version (Hereditary was not in 4K in France and no french subtitles available )
Glad they stopped with the "region" nonsense on the 4K blurays.

It's a shame that Midsommar didn't get Ultra HD treatment, those landscape, colors would have been awesome in 4K HDR.
Armored_Berserk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #25716
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armored_Berserk View Post
I only watched the cinema cut and really liked it, still have it in mind one week after. This has so many layers of view.
Since you have watched both, which one is better? Director's cut or cinema?

PS: I have the french blu ray edition in pre-order, it will contain the DC.
The director's cut has one deleted scene and a few extended scenes which don't add that much to the movie. There are actually a few lines in the deleted scene which explain the plot a little too much and in my opinion would have been better removed. It's nice to see what was left on the cutting room floor, but I enjoyed the tighter theatrical cut slightly more.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #25717
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Lots of great horror from late 70's through early-mid 80's. Must have been something in the water.

Or the ice! But yeah, a lot of the best horrors are from this time period.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #25718
Armored_Berserk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
The director's cut has one deleted scene and a few extended scenes which don't add that much to the movie. There are actually a few lines in the deleted scene which explain the plot a little too much and in my opinion would have been better removed. It's nice to see what was left on the cutting room floor, but I enjoyed the tighter theatrical cut slightly more.
Thank you. Still can't wait to watch it in december.
Armored_Berserk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #25719
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I love The Thing (1982) & have probably watched it 10 or more times, but I actually prefer the original. The Thing From Another World (1951) is a superb example of 1950's, B&W sci-fi. It goes toe-to-toe with any of them.
The Thing From Another World is indeed great but the added horror element and excellent atmosphere of the 1982 film make it one of the rare remakes that I feel actually improves upon the original. Can’t go wrong with either though.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #25720
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Getting into the Halloween theme...

Polaroid 7/10 weak premise of an evil spirit tied to a camera but pulled off pretty well all things considered...definitely better than anything on SyFy or Chiller
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote