Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 07-28-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
aaronica
The Avengers

How to paint light metallic blue??

hi

Just got myself a Bowen Classic Spiderman Statue but parts of his blue metallic paint is chipped off. l try to mix Silver with blue to get the desired result so as to airbrush the paint , however the blue always overwhelm the silver and the end result is a dull blue, the metallic blue bt tamiya and mr hobby is aslo too dark

The Local hobby shop suggest l paint an undercoat of silver, follow by clear blue, (however the clear blue IMHO) is too dark, he suggest adding clear coats to the clear blue to achieve a light finish.

l was thinking of applying the silver, then follow by a mixture of clear blue and light blue rather than using the clear coat

Can any of u guys offer any other gd suggestion?

Many thks!!
aaronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
DD_fan96
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

test it out on something before you try it on your final piece.

I'm painting a Cap statue right now with transparent blue. It started out really light but the more coats I apply the darker it gets.
DD_fan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

If you are using Tamiya clear blue, its very very thick. What i do is paint the piece in chrome silver from tamiya, then get the airbrush thinner from tamiya and mix it into the clear blue. Thins out the blue and you will get a clearer blue over it. Just a matter of layering that thinned blue to get what ya want.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
DD_fan96
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Thats exactly what I do too, except I've been using rubbing alcohol to cut it. Man that stuff is thick straight out of the jar too!
DD_fan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:23 AM   #5
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Tamiya Clear Blue, Green, Yellow and Orange out of the bottle is super thick and will not spray on evenly. I tried all those colors and so far they need to be thinned and light even coats.

Tamiya Clear Red is the only color i can spray out of the bottle and goes on even and thick and wont cause darker areas. For some reason red is amazing out of the bottle for me, but the others suck and take practice to get them right. I did my flash and cap marvels in clear red out of the bottle, nice and thick and gives that glass shine when sprayed on thick.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote