Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 01-07-2015, 01:16 AM   #1
SONICobra
Batman

good / bad paint brands?

so hopefully within the next six months I will have a few completed projects ready for paint. I have my airbrushes, compressor, various other items but little to no paint...

so my question is what are some good paint brands and more importantly bad brands that I should definitely avoid? I have a couple stores I can readily get these brands:
- Tamiya
- Vallejo
- createx

ive heard of people using the first two but what about createx? does one brand require more thinning than others? do you just use the Tamiya acrylic paint thinner?

so many questions...
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
Meta Jon
Daredevil

I use both garage kits paints from jesse321 - AWESOME QUALITY and color range
Also use com-art - available locally

Both are airbrush ready with no need for diluting

But everyone has favorites they gravitate to
Meta Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #3
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Problem for me is all brands are good and bad.

For example Createx Flat Red, Yellow are the worst paints ever, but some of their pearls are amazing. I like their white for dry brushing.

Tamiya Flat white is pure crap, but their gloss white is nice and smooth for painting. Their blacks are good too. Their clear red is amazing, blends no matter what, the clear blue gives me issues. But have to get used to using their thinner for some of the colors.

Vallejo so far has great paints, just so small for the price, they got a new line out with brighter colors i just didn't get my hands on them yet, Their white and black and all their browns are great.

Garage kits skin tones blow most brands out of the water for me, just have to get used to their mixtures since its different then the other brands.

So every brand has amazing colors while some of their colors are crap. But i do max my own blends from using multiple brands into one mix. Some may say don't do this but i been doing it for years with no issues.

Last edited by Vince-Vell; 01-07-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:24 AM   #4
SONICobra
Batman

right on, thanks guys. I just don't paint a ton of stuff so id like to get comfortable with one or two brands so I know what to always expect. im going to be painting only a handful of statues a year so maybe ill give Vallejo and garage kits a shot. thanks for the input gents
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote