Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 03-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
JAWS
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Avengers Hulk Maquette

Well here he is. Legacy/Sideshow's Hulk from the movie The Avengers. This piece is in true 1/4 scale and is sure not to disappoint fans for the jolly green giant. As many of you know from either seeing me at the board or reading this humble blog, that I love a good Hulk statue. Most of my reviews here are of Hulk statues I owned at one time or another. All of them were great or special in some way. But after I decided to streamline my collection I decided that I would settle for just one Hulk. But which one to choose?? Well after SS announced this bad boy to me it was an easy choice.

Now at first I was not sure that I wanted a "film" version of the Hulk but after some time of looking at the teaser photos I came to realize that the Avengers Hulk was a perfect realistic interpretation of the Hulk. It does not matter that it's from the film because when you look at this statue it's just THE HULK. A perfect combination of old and new.

I can say that without question that if you are a fan of the character, his comics, or the film you will love this piece. Now lets move on to the review.

Face sculpt - 5 out of 5 - Now While I said that it does not matter that this is from the Avengers film, there is no question that this is a Mark Ruffalo Hulk. The likness to the film version is just about perfect. Much has ben made about how cool the teeth are. Well that is true. They are very realistic looking and take this piece to a whole other level. The facial expression is very life like and the hair is sculpted very well. Much has been made about the eyebrows being uneven(I should know I was the first to point it out). However like many have said the difference between photos and having this in person is amazing. There just is no issue with the brows at all. It is the expression on his face and the Brows fit that expression.

Paint - 4 out of 5 - As some of you know from my post on the Hulk thread, My Hulk has an issue with the paint apps for the enamel on his teeth. While not a huge issue it is still an issue and if SS makes it right then the score will be perfect. Everything else looks great. It seems Sideshow is getting better with the "wonky" eye thing as this piece as well as others I have seen posted all have well painted eyes. Pretty amazing because I would think it would be a bear to paint under his huge forhead. Great job! His color green is film accurate and the shading is very well done. I love how his green veins stand out!!

Body Sculpt - 5 out of 5 / Pose - 5 out of 5 - Total - 5 out of 5 - The sculpt on this body, like the face, is perfect. He is in a very natural semi relaxed state and the artist captures that look perfectly. Make no mistake, even though he is relaxed, he is HUGE and looks Mean and Ready to fight! And I don't know if I have said this about any other SS statues before But I LOVE his BACK. It is massive and perfectly sculpted!!!

Clothes - 5 out of 5 - Sure it's just a pair of pants but they are done perfectly. the rips and the folds are done in a realistic natural way. The pants feel as though they have been dipped in something so that they could be molded and after they dried they woould stay that way. I am very impressed with the skill that went into this.

Base - 4.5 out of 5 - While the base is well done I wish they had come up with something a little more original as it very much reminds me of the comiquette base. I know there is not much you can do with Hulk but perhaps add a Car tire or a sewer cap to it. But that is a small complaint. If there were no other Hulk statues out there I would not even think to complain as the base that is there is done very well.

Overall - 5 out of 5 - Like I have already said, If you are a fan of Hulk either in the comics, the film, or Both then this is the Hulk statue to get. Sideshow has outdone themselves and put out a great product for the fans. Sure it's more expensive and it seems that we are paying mostly for that Legacy title but Personally I think it's was worth it.

JAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
garou_terry
Blue Falcon

Nice review man. Thanks for this. I'm sure a lot of peeps are awaiting theirs frivolously.
garou_terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:12 AM   #3
JAWS
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Updated with photos back in place

JAWS is online now   Reply With Quote