Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #2541
Mister H
Gen 13

I wish I had one to put on the list. I do know that Parks and Rec had a horrible series finale.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #2542
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
My list includes Mad Men and The Americans.
Thanks, haven't seen those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Deadwood
Agreed! Rome was amazing but also cut short. Both 2 seasons I believe. Oz was pretty weird As was Carnivale
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #2543
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post

Agreed! Rome was amazing but also cut short. Both 2 seasons I believe. Oz was pretty weird As was Carnivale
Deadwood was 3 Seasons. Never saw Rome
TNovak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #2544
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I can see how that notion may disappoint, but personally I don't really fault the show too much for that. They have clearly used Bran as a mechanism for bridging plot points and bringing together character arcs in a timely manner. However, other than having a 9th season I don't see how the writers could have avoided this. For whatever reason this had to be the last season. I think this season could have been a couple of episodes longer, but that still wouldn't have been enough time to bring these groups full circle. So the answer was Bran and his new role. I'm fine with that. To me the bigger disappointment is the under utilization of both Bran and the Three-Eyed Raven as a concept. I wished for a more fulfulling destiny for Bran and hoped the Three-Eyed Raven was something more than a glorified historian.
I think that's part of what I'm saying though. I believe he's nothing but a crutch because he's been underutilized, in just the kinds of ways you state (a season missing "while training" because he had no material, anyone?). To do any more with him now (with four episodes left), including the 'Night King theory', would feel disingenuous to me. So it could still happen of course, but perhaps I just really don't want to see it. That would be another bullet point under 'lesser writing due to lack of book material', imo. If it happens in the books, it'd likely feel more earned.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:18 PM   #2545
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I think that's part of what I'm saying though. I believe he's nothing but a crutch because he's been underutilized, in just the kinds of ways you state (a season missing "while training" because he had no material, anyone?). To do any more with him now (with four episodes left), including the 'Night King theory', would feel disingenuous to me. So it could still happen of course, but perhaps I just really don't want to see it. That would be another bullet point under 'lesser writing due to lack of book material', imo. If it happens in the books, it'd likely feel more earned.
Yeah, when I read it again it certainly seems the same. However, I thought your gripe was with how he was affecting the overall story. Given the direction they ultimately took the character, the way he is being utilized makes sense to me. That said, the direction they took the character is what's disappointing. So if we're saying the same thing then I agree.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #2546
MrYac
Hercules

yeah, not to be "that guy" but the Raven I soooo much more interesting in the book. his backstory is incredibly interesting and he's got ties to so many more things than just being some guy watching people from a tree.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:23 PM   #2547
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
yeah, not to be "that guy" but the Raven I soooo much more interesting in the book. his backstory is incredibly interesting and he's got ties to so many more things than just being some guy watching people from a tree.
He has a backstory??

It's been said, but it's a damn shame the show wasn't produced until after the books were done. Benioff and Weiss were good editors, but they are no creators (which gives me pause for their Star Wars series). As soon as they ran out of material, it's as if all character's IQ dropped 50 points. Everyone was just more 'simple'. No detail, no nuance, just... straight ahead. Everyone goes directly from point A to B.

As I understand it, the series' relative brevity was mostly down to B & W wanting to pursue other interests. There have been filler episodes, and some may claim that the show needed to end. But as Martin recently lamented, the show probably should have been two or three years longer. The material is there - the gaps just needed to be filled in with better writing.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:28 PM   #2548
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
He has a backstory??
I recently found a really good GoT Youtuber, here's a video specifically about the Crow, and i'd recommend checking out his other stuff too as he breaks down a lot of the stuff the show missed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oEqnDAbCfE he does Reviews of the show too, so it still fits in with the topic
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:43 PM   #2549
markuz30
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
I have no idea why this show is so loved. I have watched every episode and find it to by vastly boring. I'm pleased 10% of the time and really love the dragons and the battle scenes which are very well done. .
I always told my friends that Daenerys and her dragons plus the whitewalkers is what makes this show interesting.
markuz30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:47 PM   #2550
markuz30
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I really hope they will do a new series "Valyria and the Dragons" focused on Valyria , House Targaryen and how they become dragon riders.
markuz30 is offline   Reply With Quote