Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > eFX, HCG & CM

Old 12-27-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
ReturningSon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Question Have you ever wondered (a really scary thought!)???

Now I am probably going to get killed for this but have any of you guys out there ever wondered that if on signature editions and I mean any type of signature edition be it a lightsaber or other replica, if the signatures are REAL? I sat today looking at my James Earl Jones signature edition plaque and it looks to me to be a bit off. I have seen other signature plaques too in person that seem weird. Do you guys think that mR or any company might use the "signature stamping" process? The actors signature is laser scanned and then a stamp is made out of it the stamp is then dipped in ink and pressed onto the plaque. You cannot tell the difference. Just imagine an actor signing 500 to a thousand plaques. Sure we have pics of the signing event but it just shows them doing one plaque...I know I am probably being paranoid but has the thought ever crossed your minds?...
ReturningSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
patrickwm68
The Flash

I think of that all the time. I've heard that some celebrities have assistants who know how to sign for them.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
Underdog07
Hercules

A company marketing a product as hand signed would be committing fraud (or something similar) if it were not in fact hand signed by the actual person. Numerous sports collectibles companies have been driven out of business and seen owners jailed for doing this. If the company is reliable, I would not second guess them. However, for unknown companies it is best to be cautious.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:45 PM   #4
P1X4R
Producer

i actually brought this up once at RebelScum. it would be very serious and i highly doubt any company would want to go down like that... but yeah.. the thought has occurred to me.
P1X4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
P1X4R
Producer

oh, and as for the sigs being off.. well, if i had to sign a few hundred plaques my signature would naturally degrade. it was tough enough signing all those mortgage/loan papers!
P1X4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:51 PM   #6
patrickwm68
The Flash

Unless a rep from the company is actually sitting their watching them sign every piece, name plate, or whatever, anything can happen. I know someone that graduated from the Joe Kubert School, he told me that Andy Kubert has the students sign for him and the way to tell the difference between his sig and a students is the thickness of the pen used.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:24 PM   #7
ReturningSon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Man, I guess there are alot of people out there who think as I do. We should call MR and ask them to sell tickets to people who can view the signing!!!I mean at least post a video or something showing that the actor sat down and did a couple of them at least. One picture, in this case, is not worth a thousand plaques!!!
ReturningSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:01 PM   #8
nash
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

It depends on the company imo.

It has never crossed my mind with the MR SEs. With MR, the actors are commissioned/contracted to do the signing. Why would MR pay the actor for not even signing the plaques?

500 Signatures isn't very many, and absolutely reasonable to be done in one sitting. They're celebrities they do this all the time for free. Getting a cut on contract is a good deal for them.
nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:25 PM   #9
patrickwm68
The Flash

If what I heard about Andy Kubert is true. I'm sure he signed a contract with Dynamic Forces or whomever to sign 1000 books of let's say Kazar #1. Unless they send a rep to actually watch him sign how would they now a student actually signed?
Old 12-27-2006, 11:47 PM   #10
risingstar
Jedi Order

MR would never recover from the backlash. Moreover, they'd be setting themselves up for a vicious class action suit.
MR business practices may be a lot of things from shortsighted, insensitive to extremely stupid but criminal, they are not.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote