Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #981
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
He is well known because he looks like a talking squid, sounds funny, and has been around for over 40 years. None of that justifies some ceremonial or emotional send off. But you're right. The writers should have spent more time writing some grand exit for the squid guy that has no personal relationship to anyone in the films.

I think I know somebody who can answer this better than me....

Quote:
More oversimplification for your own justification. I wish I could live life like that. Ignorance is bliss and all that.

Although, to be serious, I'm not saying he should have had some kind of grand exit, or a huge funeral service or anything like that. But he is undoubtedly a fan favorite at this point. And killing him off so cheaply without him having any screen time or input in the movie before hand was entirely unnecessary is all. The fact that they even mentioned him by name as being on the bridge suggests that the writers were well aware that people know who he is, so why not do more with him, or just do nothing at all and save him for the next episode if he didn't fit into this one. Still, a small issue compared to some of the others in this movie. I get that you like it, which is perfectly fine, I really liked the Phantom Menace for example, but I understand why plenty of people didn't. Surely you can see why many of us don't share your view on this one? I've only seen it once and obviously need to re-watch it with different expectations. But I can't see my opinion of this being by far the worst Star Wars movie altering. I actually think it's time that the majority give the prequels another chance after TLJ, it may allow people to appreciate them more.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:33 PM   #982
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I think I know somebody who can answer this better than me....

Although, to be serious, I'm not saying he should have had some kind of grand exit, or a huge funeral service or anything like that. But h is undoubtedly a fan favorite at this point. And killing him off so cheaply without him having any screen time or input in the movie before hand was entirely unnecessary is all. The fact that they even mentioned him by name as being on the bridge suggests that the writers were well aware that people know who he is, so why not do more with him, or just do nothing at all and save him for the next episode if he didn't fit into this one. Still, a small issue compared to some of the others in this movie. I get that you like it, which is perfectly fine, I really liked the Phantom Menace for example, but I understand why plenty of people didn't. Surely you can see why many of us don't share your view on this one? I've only seen it once and obviously need to re-watch it with different expectations. But I can't see my opinion of this being by far the worst Star Wars movie altering. I actually think it's time that the majority give the prequels another chance after TLJ, it may allow people to appreciate them more.
Oh you're a fan of my work? That was a nice try but in reality it really is that simple. Ackbar is a fan favorite... and that's it. He isn't crucial to the story, the narrative, the plot, nothing actually important to move any of that forward. He exists in the new films purely as fan service. I like Ackbars role in the OT and can appreciate his relevance in people's memories, but it's that simple and a lot of the fans either can't see that or won't accept it. And the sad thing is that mentality applies to a lot of the reception for the new films as a whole.

I don't have a problem with people not enjoying a film I did. The problem for me starts when people start bashing and digging to the bottom of the abyss to find any little scrap of criticism to justify their dissatisfaction. A dissatisfaction that expands to over dramatic proportions that really stems from a selfish point of view. Ackbar? Really?!!! That's a key example of this film ruining someone's childhood? I'm not saying you in particular have taken it that far, but the amount of times I've seen a TLJ discussion devolve into a b!tch fest because of something equally as trivial across the internet is simply staggering.

A lot things didn't work for a lot of you, fine. It's your least favorite Star Wars film, cool. But don't try and convince the world Disney or Kathleen Kennedy or Rian Johnson has ruined your childhood or commited some other sort of over dramatic atrocity. Again, I am speaking in general and not specifically to you, Python.

Last edited by Luminous; 04-15-2018 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Apparently there is a lot of "bithing" going on. Whatever that is. :p
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #983
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Oh you're a fan of my work? That was a nice try but in reality it really is that simple. Ackbar is a fan favorite... and that's it. He isn't crucial to the story, the narrative, the plot, nothing actually important to move any of that forward. He exists in the new films purely as fan service. I like Ackbars role in the OT and can appreciate his relevance in people's memories, but it's that simple and a lot of the fans either can't see that or won't accept it. And the sad thing is that mentality applies to a lot of the reception for the new films as a whole.

I don't have a problem with people not enjoying a film I did. The problem for me starts when people start bashing and digging to the bottom of the abyss to find any little scrap of criticism to justify their dissatisfaction. A dissatisfaction that expands to over dramatic proportions that really stems from a selfish point of view. Ackbar? Really?!!! That's a key example of this film ruining someone's childhood? I'm not saying you in particular have taken it that far, but the amount of times I've seen a TLJ discussion devolve into a b!th fest because of something equally as trivial across the internet is simply staggering.

A lot things didn't work for a lot of you, fine. It's your least favorite Star Wars film, cool. But don't try and convince the world Disney or Kathleen Kennedy or Rian Johnson has ruined your childhood or commited some other sort of over dramatic atrocity. Again, I am speaking in general and not specifically to you, Python.

Ooookay. My first part was meant as a lighthearted joke (a relevant one mind) don't take me personally. I've avoided this thread as I didn't want to ruin the movie for myself. I just read through a fair bit of it and happened to remember that comment of yours.

I'm not sure why you're talking about people picking at little things, I only mentioned a couple of key issues although this kind of thing is obviously subjective, clearly I took Ackbar's unnecessary death to be more of an issue than you did for example. You seem to be taking the criticism personally, you'll stress yourself out. If you enjoy the movie, that's honestly cool, we're all different. But I hadn't even read anybody els's thoughts when I posted my comment. If so many people came to the same conclusions as me that you're frustrated and bored of hearing them, maybe there's some truth in those criticisms even if you don't agree with them? Believe me, I could have mentioned a hundred other less severe criticisms, but I thought I'd made it clear that trashing the movie wasn't my intention and that I'm going to watch it again with less expectation, I'm just a disappointed fan venting a little having only just seeing it. It seems I'm not the only one. We're all Star Wars fans here, there are no sides. We all want the same thing presumably, the best Star Wars movies possible and sadly this wasn't it for what seems to be the majority. This was a very disappointing movie for me, that doesn't have to affect your opinion of it at all. At least you'll be more excited about the third in the trilogy than most of us will, so there's that....

Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #984
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Ooookay. My first part was meant as a lighthearted joke (a relevant one mind) don't take me personally. I've avoided this thread as I didn't want to ruin the movie for myself. I just read through a fair bit of it and happened to remember that comment of yours.
While I certainly did misinterpret your tone I still don't agree the comment applies in any way.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you're talking about people picking at little things, I only mentioned a couple of key issues although this kind of thing is obviously subjective, clearly I took Ackbar's unnecessary death to be more of an issue than you did for example. You seem to be taking the criticism personally, you'll stress yourself out. If you enjoy the movie, that's honestly cool, we're all different. But I hadn't even read anybody els's thoughts when I posted my comment. If so many people came to the same conclusions as me that you're frustrated and bored of hearing them, maybe there's some truth in those criticisms even if you don't agree with them? Believe me, I could have mentioned a hundred other less severe criticisms, but I thought I'd made it clear that trashing the movie wasn't my intention and that I'm going to watch it again with less expectation, I'm just a disappointed fan venting a little having only just seeing it. It seems I'm not the only one. We're all Star Wars fans here, there are no sides. We all want the same thing presumably, the best Star Wars movies possible and sadly this wasn't it for what seems to be the majority. This was a very disappointing movie for me, that doesn't have to affect your opinion of it at all. At least you'll be more excited about the third in the trilogy than most of us will, so there's that....

I mention the picking because you seemingly implied I am debating simply because people don't share my view of the film. I was just explaining that it's the nitpicking that I can't comprehend. People don't express a nitpick of TLJ yet still point out it's simply a nitpick. Instead they use it as a key example as to why the movie was some colossal failure. Again, and I thought I made this clear, those criticisms weren't directed at you specifically. But you seem to think I am debating because people don't share my view. So I simply clarified my position.

I'd also like to point out that just because there are a lot of vocal and angry people complaining about something it doesn't in any way mean there is any truth to it. I could bring in political examples as to how that isn't true but for the sake of keeping the discussion civil and on track I won't. I think you're a smart person. So I'll let you evaluate that statement and see where I'm coming from.

I do appreciate that you're passionate fan. That's actually the root of my disappointment with the film's reception amongst so many fans. I wish we could have all rejoiced. I understand that won't always happen, but the over dramatic anger and outrage from so many have made it so that any who actually enjoyed it have no place to go to talk about the film. Every corner of the internet I go to it's nothing but complaining. And it's not that the number of those who didn't enjoy it outnumber those who did. In fact from what I've seen in either sales, exit polls or forum polls, there seem to be more who thoroughly enjoyed it. But the loud cries of those who feel slighted is deafening and a lot people I've spoken to who loved it simply feel it isn't worth the time or effort to take part in these discussions.

Anyway, sorry you didn't enjoy it. I genuinely wish you enjoyed it as much as I did. Or at very least enough to look forward to the next film in some capacity.

Last edited by Luminous; 04-15-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #985
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
I'm not saying you in particular have taken it that far, but the amount of times I've seen a TLJ discussion devolve into a b!th fest because of something equally as trivial across the internet is simply staggering.
Serendipitous misspelling!
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #986
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Serendipitous misspelling!
Get out of here!
Old 04-15-2018, 05:49 PM   #987
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Get out of here!

Old 04-15-2018, 05:57 PM   #988
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/co...e_of_the_bith/

For some reason, I couldn't just link the pic.
So would a "Bith Fest" be something like Coachella or Burning Man?
Old 04-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #989
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
So would a "Bith Fest" be something like Coachella or Burning Man?
I think it would be a hootenanny.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:13 PM   #990
Luminous
Cyclops