Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 10-11-2017, 05:34 AM   #31
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
DC's Designer Series is a better value than Koto's 1/6 scale statues.
I honestly have a hard time even taking this comment seriously.

And as others have said, prices are going up all the way around. Average hourly wages for chinese factory workers have gone up over 60% in the last couple of years alone. And one thing that I rarely see mentioned is freight shipping. If one looks at the pricing for oceanic freight shipping, it actually looks like the stock market. Prices are constantly changing due to various factors, much like you see with the price of gasoline.

For example, Hanjin's bankruptcy (one of the largest container shipping bankruptcies in history) in 2016 had a big effect on the entire shipping industry. The company’s collapse resulted in hundreds of thousands of shipments around the world being delayed. So statue companies have to make predictions as much as a year ahead in regards to what the cost of freight shipping will be by the time a particular statue is ready to ship. Not a very easy thing to do in a very volatile market. So I have no doubt that these companies put some padding in with the pricing to protect them in case shipping rates see signficant increases.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:49 AM   #32
Balthazar
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I will be honest here. I do not know the quality of dc series, but I have bought Eric Sosa´s Kotobukiya Brown Wolverine for 190 euros. At that time was the price people were asking for and i think was honest. The problem is that I was disapointed with the statue, the final product felt really different from the pictures released. I look to that shabby paint app and I needed to put it back to the box and sell. Well, this was my experience.
Balthazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #33
Naru
Mephisto

Kotobukiya fine art generally suffer from bad paint apps and that's no secret. Some are just really flat or others plain bad. It's no wonder that I've painted up partly or completely a lot of my Kotobukiya pieces because I felt the sculpts themselves were worth the headache and the extra money spent.
The Brown Wolverine was unfortunately plagued with serious QC issues for a lot of people ranging from flat and dull choices of paint to not having paint within the lines and even some parts of the sculpt being rough. I think it was exceptionally bad but not all fine arts are that bad. The flip side to the argument is that then would you consider Kotobukiya to be good value for money when Bowen statues cost the same as Kotobukiyas cost, well more or less and the overall quality of the Bowen statues were way better in paint applications, packaging and overall finishing.
Coming to DC Designer series statues I do think they are good value for the money considering how much you're paying for them . I do own a couple of them and their paint jobs are pretty good and vibrant and I've paid about a 100 bucks for a 1/6 DC cold cast porcelain statue which would definitely make me less whinny about lapses.
In the end its an individual choice to what you think is acceptable for the money you're paying.
Would I want to pay Kotobukiyas new price points and receive the same quality I've been getting till date..... HELL NO! Unless it's a character that I really love and absolutely have to add to my collection then that can be an exception.
The only reason we're having this conversation is because Erick's sculpting for Kotobukiya and there's no other competition to Koto in the Marvel 1/6 scale market is what keeps this thing relevant.
Sorry for the long post but some things have to be addressed.
Naru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #34
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

^No, it's not a secret. Koto's well known for their lack of quality paint jobs. It's the reason I haven't scooped the Vision yet, which is available for under retail...flat paints from what I've seen. I really don't want to pay 250 for a lackluster paint job...as good as the sculpt may be. If you're going to be charging this kind of money, at least up the quality of the paints. As far as Bowen goes...leaps and bounds above Koto in that department. That's not to say all are bad, the recent Rogue was actually pretty good, but the consistency isn't there like it should be. Probably beating a horse here, but...I'd like to see these sculpts reach their potential.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:29 PM   #35
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRage View Post
They don't have to pay a licensing fee and they also use the worst factories of any statue company
Well, no one is forcing Koto to pay anyone else licensing fees (they can make their own original characters), and all these collectibles/toy companies sub-contract with the same factories. It's not as if DC's manufacturing partners only make DC statues.

Oh, btw, here's one of your posts in the DC Designer Series Statues General Discussion Thread regarding the Frank Cho Wonder Woman statue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRage View Post
Finally in stock at Entertainment Earth.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:23 AM   #36
BabySweat
Kindly Asked To Leave

Koto's prices going wild. No denying that....unless you are BIG time fanboy. If so...get off their ****
BabySweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:42 PM   #37
hunnipot85
Blue Falcon

I think the Artfx+ prices are getting ridiculous. They are barely bigger than 6" figures and are plastic. Didn't they start out at like $39 only a year or two ago?
hunnipot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #38
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

$320 is fine for me. I used to pay around $250-300 for Bowens anyway where I live, and that was 5-10 years ago.
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #39
masterlei13
Birdman

yup me too, koto prices are fine. its my way of saying thank you so so much for making all these awesome statues. we dont have much choice anyway coz they are the only company making legit 1/6th for marvel.
masterlei13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #40
Rogue
I wear the pants around here
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnipot85 View Post
I think the Artfx+ prices are getting ridiculous. They are barely bigger than 6" figures and are plastic. Didn't they start out at like $39 only a year or two ago?
I agree. New Bishoujo statues are $124.99 before 13% tax here in Canada. I'm going to have to be real picky with which ones I buy now.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote