Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Windswept hair

While I don't want to exaggerate by suggesting I can't recall the last time SSC produced a female piece without windswept hair (maybe Poison Ivy?), I'm curious as to whether collectors here notice how often it's used and if you feel it's a necessary element to the dynamism of a piece.

I understand the logistical advantage for pieces with swtich-out portraits especially. XM Black Cat's relaxed hair, for example, floats above her shoulders and calls attention to it being one solid piece, comparable to the bulbous smoke effects on SSC's newest Spider-Man pieces. Still, I miss the older Clayburn Moore statues where the hair was sculpted to fall naturally over the figure, but I guess the color separation is risky with factory paint. Even some people's Captain Marvel PFs didn't quite hit the line where the costume's gold accents meet the blues.

With the past week's new Red Sonja and Batwoman announcements continuing a streak of redheads with all-too-similar hair sculpts (Dark Phoenix EX, Harbottle Sonja, before them), this is a potential nitpick that actually has me questioning the level of repetition I'm willing to accept when adding pieces to my collection.

Sorry for the long-winded OP.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #2
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

It's reminiscent of the cape factor. Emphasising movement in the piece. I think for Switch out portraits it would be nice to have one of each.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

I don't have a problem with the windswept hair. I think it is is hard to execute. It does not always come out well.

There defintiels seems to be trends in the art direction. The Captain Morgan pose, the side look eyes, the wind swept hair. All attempts to provide a dynamic look on a static statue.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #4
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
It's reminiscent of the cape factor. Emphasising movement in the piece. I think for Switch out portraits it would be nice to have one of each.
I agree. I like the customization element of wired capes for that reason.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
I don't have a problem with the windswept hair. I think it is is hard to execute. It does not always come out well.

There defintiels seems to be trends in the art direction. The Captain Morgan pose, the side look eyes, the wind swept hair. All attempts to provide a dynamic look on a static statue.
True. I was hoping my post didn't appear to suggest I was calling it lazy. As an owner of last year's Sonja She-Devil PF, I don't think production levels are even able to match Harbottle's intricate hair sculpts when it comes to maintaining the sharpness of the ends or convincingly using paint wash to suggest separate strands or shading. Mark Newman's sculpts lately however have the necessary stylization to meet the paint halfway I feel. The Julie Newmar Catwoman PF has most successful windswept shape to me.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:53 AM   #6
COI

I think it would look much worse if the swept or stirred look wasn't the norm. With polystone, flat, still hair tends to look like a mop or a hood because it's hard to get those fine lines in there to make it look natural. The swept up or stirred look helps make polystone hair look more like hair.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:07 AM   #7
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

I can think of a few more recent statues that werent windswept- One of Power Girl's heads, Campbells Mary Jane, Gwen Stacy and Black Cat, also the new Abbey Chase. Maybe because of artist influence? I actually never really payed attention to it. I guess I dont really mind, since I actually have a lot of straight hair Moore statues already. The straight hair does lend a bit of serenity to the piece- Im thinking of his Brandy Carter statue. My fav.
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:42 AM   #8
Gothamite
Phoenix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz8ul-gmLyA
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:50 AM   #9
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlySamurai View Post
I can think of a few more recent statues that werent windswept- One of Power Girl's heads, Campbells Mary Jane, Gwen Stacy and Black Cat, also the new Abbey Chase. Maybe because of artist influence? I actually never really payed attention to it. I guess I dont really mind, since I actually have a lot of straight hair Moore statues already. The straight hair does lend a bit of serenity to the piece- Im thinking of his Brandy Carter statue. My fav.
I just picked Brandy up this year (my fav too), along with his Doug Sneyd mermaid, which also has straight hair. Like both you and COI said, Moore spoiled us in making us think this was regularly achievable.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #10
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
That just made me want a Sigourney Weaver PF.