Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
Zer0
New Republic

Statue value: Sealed/Never opened vs. Opened/Displayed

Out of curiosity, is there a consensus on whether a Sideshow statue has more, or less monetary value if it's still sealed in its original packaging? With other sci-fi/comic related merchandise, such as action figures, it's pretty much to be taken for granted that the value is higher if the item is still sealed, but I feel like the circumstances might be different for something like a Sideshow statue, where the contents aren't visible and a physical inspection may be required to make sure all the contents are intact.

I haven't really seen too many examples of sealed statues being sold on the aftermarket, other than possibly when they're brand new and still within their return period and/or haven't had much time to accrue any monetary appreciation, so I don't have much to base an answer on.

So, is there any kind of conventional wisdom on this, or is the answer circumstantial, depending entirely on the specific statue, or situation?
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Makes no difference on open or not, you need to check for quality. If never displayed it will sell quicker. You can't not open it.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
ComicJesus
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

There was a thread with a "graded" sealed package. Pure hilarity. On one hand, I've bought a statue via Ebay before that claimed was only briefly displayed and mint. When I got it, it very obviously had been displayed long term, one of the switchout hands was broken. A cleaner had been used on the base. I was still happy with the statue, but I'm not a picky guy. For some people, they may be happy knowing that the statue itself had never been handled. Deal with a break and repair it if needed, but at least you don't have something "used". It all depends on the person. But it seems the most value is "opened for inspection and then put back into packaging and stored." But you can never really know the truth once it's been opened.
ComicJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
Zer0
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicJesus View Post
There was a thread with a "graded" sealed package. Pure hilarity. On one hand, I've bought a statue via Ebay before that claimed was only briefly displayed and mint. When I got it, it very obviously had been displayed long term, one of the switchout hands was broken. A cleaner had been used on the base. I was still happy with the statue, but I'm not a picky guy. For some people, they may be happy knowing that the statue itself had never been handled. Deal with a break and repair it if needed, but at least you don't have something "used". It all depends on the person. But it seems the most value is "opened for inspection and then put back into packaging and stored." But you can never really know the truth once it's been opened.
That's something that I was thinking about. A seller can say their statue was opened only for inspection, but never displayed, but when it comes down to it, barring obvious issues, you're really just taking their word for it, whereas if it's sealed, you know it's never been handled by anyone else, but there's no visual confirmation that nothing was damaged in shipping.
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:27 PM   #5
COI

The sealed thing doesn't matter with statues. The only thing that matters is if the piece is mint and clean. Because of the way statues are packaged, you can't know for certain that a piece was never opened. I've received stuff directly from Sideshow that looked opened, and it may have been for a quality check, or whatever. These things don't have shrinkwrap/seals.

The "never displayed" think can't be verified either. Every seller on ebay claims that. So the value isn't really affected.

If anything, I'd prefer seeing pictures of the piece I'm buying second-hand out of the box.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

This isn't a pack of baseball cards. I don't like to play Russian Roulette with statues. If the seller won't open it to confirm the piece isn't damaged, I'm not buying it.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #7
yeek
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Personally I would never buy a statue secondhand if it's still "sealed and unopened".
yeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #8
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Not only damage...but some times pieces get sent out with incorrect parts.

I recall buying Sideshow's Storm Shadow...supposedly all of the regulars were sent with 2 of the same hands. One (left for example) of the regular and the other (left) for the EX. Thus nearly all regular had to wait until SS resent out the pieces.
While I have not heard of any others...PCS even QC checked my Raiden...he still shows up with an incorrectly labeled base. Imagine buying that from someone years down the road unopened.

As for the sealed sticker comment...I won a 1:2 scale ALien Bust. Got it, QC stickers and all. Had some problems...turns out...it was a RETURN from a MEMBER of this and Freaks forums.

If a piece is unopened you run the risk of damage or missing parts.
Unless I am feeling really lucky...I pass over "unopened" list items.

Plus unlike cards or figures, which in general are meant to be handled and changed around...statues on the other hand get setup and looked at, for the most part.
So I can see wanting some things unopened, but not for me...not for statues.
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Ya I don't think the sealed unopened thing applies to statues. Most if not all buyers either don't mind or preferred that a statue was opened and inspected. Hell, I even ask my overseas contact to open the XM pieces he sends me before sending them. This was he can verify their condition and if there were any issues it can be handled before it gets to me.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #10
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
This isn't a pack of baseball cards. I don't like to play Russian Roulette with statues. If the seller won't open it to confirm the piece isn't damaged, I'm not buying it.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote