Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 05-01-2007, 10:41 PM   #1
sincity
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

using 360 & PS3 a main dvd player

i heard somewhere that using the 360 and/or a PS3 as a dvd player is hard on the console.
since the dvd has to spin during the entire movie unlike during game play where it only has to keep up with game play and the spinning is minimal.
i want to get a PS3 for the blu-ray as much as for the games but if it going to be a problem i'll buy a blu-ray player instead.

so did i hear wrong??

thanks for any info!!!!
sincity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:33 PM   #2
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

First of all the 360 DVD player is an add-on and is solely for the purposes of playing HD-DVDs so it's not likely to be hard on the console as they are separate units. One of the major, key selling points of the PS3 is that it is a very good Blu-ray player. It was designed with that as a major component and selling point. If it can't handle regularly playing DVDs then Sony really screwed the pooch. I would say don't believe everything you hear. I have a PS3 and considering the dearth of games available, I use it almost exclusively for DVDs and I haven't had a single problem. I was worried about all the horror stories I heard about overheating and so far it's barely even gotten warm on me.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:43 PM   #3
Wayne Industries
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1 View Post
First of all the 360 DVD player is an add-on and is solely for the purposes of playing HD-DVDs so it's not likely to be hard on the console as they are separate units. One of the major, key selling points of the PS3 is that it is a very good Blu-ray player. It was designed with that as a major component and selling point. If it can't handle regularly playing DVDs then Sony really screwed the pooch. I would say don't believe everything you hear. I have a PS3 and considering the dearth of games available, I use it almost exclusively for DVDs and I haven't had a single problem. I was worried about all the horror stories I heard about overheating and so far it's barely even gotten warm on me.
Ahh..thx Zurb..was wondering this myself before I took the plunge.
Wayne Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:36 AM   #4
CocoPUFF
ROT Minister Of Defense

nah, I play movies on my 360 all the time, and it still works great! If it doesn't have the capability, they wouldn't advertise it as such....my PS2 played DVD's all tht time with no problems either!
CocoPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:41 AM   #5
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I never play movies on any game system that`s what cheap dvd players are for.
My xbox still works like new and my friends who uses his for watching movies all the time sometimes skips.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1 View Post
First of all the 360 DVD player is an add-on and is solely for the purposes of playing HD-DVDs so it's not likely to be hard on the console as they are separate units. .
You don`t need the hd-dvd add-on to play standard dvd`s on the 360 as the console by itself will do that

As for the original question, if anything playing games would be harder on the drive as it is constantly stopping and starting, and also regularly spinning up to it`s maximum speed. Whereas playing a dvd it just plays at one constant relatively slow speed.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
batman1180
Captain Marvel

From my experience, it seems like the people that I know who use their systems for their main DVD playback always have problems with their systems. While my launch systems have always lasted me no problems.
batman1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1180 View Post
From my experience, it seems like the people that I know who use their systems for their main DVD playback always have problems with their systems. While my launch systems have always lasted me no problems.
Same here.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:14 PM   #9
sincity
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

thanks for the info guys i think i'll get the PS3 and pick up some blu ray discs
sincity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:48 AM   #10
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
You don`t need the hd-dvd add-on to play standard dvd`s on the 360 as the console by itself will do that
Good point. I was only thinking about the HD DVDs.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote