Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 03-15-2015, 02:34 AM   #1
cocomonk22
Blue Falcon

Wall Mounting Foam Filled Statues?

I have a 15lb/7kg statue similar to the one pictured here:

It has been sitting on the floor in my house for around half a year now since I haven't been able to figure out how to mount this to the wall. The bust is foam-filled, so I need some way to attach it to the plaque without the possibility of it detaching and falling on someone. Anyone have any ideas?
cocomonk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #2
ONEYE
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

ONEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:43 PM   #3
rgm501
Death is hereditary.

Blu-tack
rgm501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:50 AM   #4
s_paulik87
Green Lantern Corps

I'd try photoshopping it onto my wall
s_paulik87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:24 AM   #5
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

How about some actual ideas instead of smart ass comments?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

A large diameter corkscrew-like coil, with the coils spread apart, so that when you screw it into the foam in the neck, it won't pull out. Preferably the end you're screwing in should be sharpened to make it easier. The other end should be straightened and threaded, so you can screw on a nut on the rear of the plaque. You may need more than one coil depending on how heavy the head is and how heavy duty the coil (or spring) is.

Automobile or furniture spring may work, but you'd have to machine the ends.

A lot easier method would be to just stick the head on one (or more) wooden dowel rods with glue on them, and screw the ends into the plaque.
ZenLogikos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:04 AM   #7
cocomonk22
Blue Falcon

Thanks! I was considering dowels, but hadn't thought of using glue to secure the sides of the rods inside the foam.

Actually, that may work even better using tapered dowels with the wider ends at the inner-part of the bust. If the glue gives out, the taper would still be able to prevent the bust from pulling away from the plaque. I would just need to mix in some more foam to fill the gaps after drilling out the sections for the dowels.
cocomonk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:23 AM   #8
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Dowels will need to be long enough and large enough in diameter so that the weight does doesn't rip the dowels through the foam. 15lbs is a lot of weight. Maybe and oval board with two one-inch diameter dowels on the top and two on the bottom with the oval board recessed inside the neck. Then the oval board screwed to a wall mounting plaque. This still may not work as the that's a lot of weight at the front of the bust. Too bad the didn't put in a rigid structure before pouring the foam.

If you want a professional to do it, you may want to contact a local taxidermist as they might have a good solution for this.

jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:32 PM   #9
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

i wanted one of these. i emaile geenemodels and they never emailed me back.

one permanant option is to neatly apoxy the base of the bust (throat-neck area) to your wall plaque. Once it has set there's no turning back, but it will MOST DEF hold the bust securely and safely to your wall plaque, as the plaque hangs on the wall safely with anchors as the apoxy will form a concrete-like permanant bond.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:12 PM   #10
Overkill93
Frackin!

Have you ever seen that foam that hardens? It hardens tough. They use it for filling gaps in concrete walls and then paint over it. You can mold it around your support structure on the plaque. Mount the plaque then just rest the Dino head on the aperture. Just an idea.
Overkill93 is offline   Reply With Quote