Wonder Woman Cover Girls (Artgerm) by DC Collectibles

Wonder Woman Cover Girls – DC Collectibles
Designed by Stanley “Artgerm” Lau.
Sculpted by Jack Mathews.
Stands at approximately 10.” high.
Limited edition size of 5200.
RRP: $99.99 USD.

Intro.
Harley Quinn may be a bigger seller, but Wonder Woman will always be DC’s leading lady. Wonder Woman has a long history as both a feminist icon and a champion of truth, peace and justice. She’ll be making her live-action film debut next year in the hotly anticipated Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, followed by a solo flick in 2017 – the first female-led film in the current era of beloved comic book films.

Sculpt. 8.5
Jack Mathews has sculpted the majority of Cover Girls since back in the Adam Hughes days. With Wonder Woman, it’s easy to see why DC Collectibles keeps bringing him back.

Mathews does a wonderful job capturing what Artgerm envisioned in his original artwork: a gorgeous hybrid of two consistent themes, sexuality and power. Wonder Woman looks as beautiful as possible, all while maintaining a strong pose.

The details in her hair are outstanding – something I often find lacking in the Cover Girls. Her costume looks great and all her features are proportioned perfectly. The small complaint I do have is that her body is leaning forward a bit in her pose, so from the sides it's a little awkward.

Paint. 8.0
The last Cover Girl (Harley Quinn) had a relatively poor paint job across the board. However, with Wonder Woman, it’s great to see that the paintwork is back on track. The colours are crisp and edges are rounded off sharply, although there are a few spots, particularly where the metallic silvers meet her skin/red armor, where the paint does stray a little off where it's supposed to be. Otherwise, quite a clean job.

Design. 8.5
This is the first piece to be based on Artgerm’s wildly popular digital works: the Justice Magazine. Wonder Woman’s designed is a little altered from the original in that her hair has been brought down rather than flailing up – which I’m really glad they did otherwise it would have looked ridiculous. So kudos on DC for actually commissioning the edit rather than working with what they had.

Wonder Woman’s design is pretty basic in that it’s her classic costume and she’s standing upright. It worked out really well for this piece, as we all know that some of Artgerm’s more dynamic pieces often fall a little flat. The simplicity in the design worked wonders for this piece.

Production and Build Quality. 9.0
The QC on this piece is pretty fantastic. She comes in great shape in a very compact little box that’ll keep her safe and sound. The piece itself is strong and fits perfectly in her base – and stays sturdy while in there.

Overall. 8.5
Wonder Woman is quite easily one of the best pieces in Artgerm’s line of Cover Girls. In fact, I’d say the quality rivals that of some of the earlier Adam Hughes pieces. The QC on Wonder Woman is fantastic, so if you’re liking the design aspects, I suggest you pick one of these up as soon as possible!

Artgerm’s Cover Girls are staying strong with plenty of upcoming releases. Red Lantern Bleez was recently released (click here for a review of Bleez by risingstar) and Catwoman is coming later this year. Early next year has two fan favourites, including Black Canary and Power Girl! With those releases, Artgerm’s line will be ahead of Adam Hughes’ in terms of numbers, so looking forward, who are you hoping to see Artgerm tackle next? Personally, I’d love to see a Zatanna!

Dahwaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:36 AM   #2
Dahwaf
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Group shots!

Old 08-27-2015, 06:18 AM   #3
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

I love this piece. In my opinion, the best on this line so far. Thanks for your fantastic review as always.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:02 AM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

Thanks for posting the review. While not my favorite WW cover girls statue, it looks good nonetheless. You just can't beat that price!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:33 AM   #5
Griffon
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Good review & fantastic pics, Dahwaf!
Griffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Nice review but what is the Harley Quinn maybe the biggest seller? Not even in the same league of recognition in overall merchandising.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #7
Dahwaf
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
I love this piece. In my opinion, the best on this line so far. Thanks for your fantastic review as always.
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Thanks for posting the review. While not my favorite WW cover girls statue, it looks good nonetheless. You just can't beat that price!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffon View Post
Good review & fantastic pics, Dahwaf!
Thanks guys! Always appreciate the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Nice review but what is the Harley Quinn maybe the biggest seller? Not even in the same league of recognition in overall merchandising.
I meant more in terms of comic sales - at the moment, anyway. Harley's doing extraordinarily well (this year's monthly average is in the 60k's, while last year her title was hitting 90-100k for quite a few issues). Whereas Wonder Woman is steady in 40k's.

Also I've kind of had the "Harley bigger than Wonder Woman" thought in my head for a while from all these second editions, variants, re-releases, etc. statues from DC Collectibles. In any form of other merchandising I'd have no idea though.

But of course, in terms of recognition, Wonder Woman is always going to be DC's most iconic female character.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Great review. I also purchased this piece for my collection.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:05 AM   #9
xforce
Hydra

Nice review my only issue is its size wish it was 12 inches instead of 9 but I still may grab it
xforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #10
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xforce View Post
Nice review my only issue is its size wish it was 12 inches instead of 9 but I still may grab it
If you have other Cover Girls of the DC Universe statues, this fits in well with the scale.