Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #101
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
But its location is know, right? I mean, I know exactly WHERE Korea is, but not exactly what goes on there. In the beginning of the trailer it's said that people were looking in the wrong place for Wakanda. They called it "El Dorado" and makes it seem like nobody knew it was in Africa.

So now I'm left confused because TChalla is the Black Panther after his Dad was killed. It's not like it wasn't known his Dad was President of an African nation when he was speaking in Civil War. So how is there only one person who knows how to get into Wakanda?

There is a spiritual plane with the Panther God, maybe that's what they were talking about? I always took that to be separate from Wakanda itself which is known for having vibranium and technology. Or does Wakanda put on a front that they are less than they are? From the movies and comics that I have read, they never seemed to do that. They own their badassness.
The trailer explains that people know about the African nation of "Wakanda" as Everett Ross describes as having a reputation of being a third world country where people wear nice clothes. Klaw explains though that the real Wakanda behind the curtain is actually an afrofuturist paradise--similar to the mythical city of El Dorado in South America.

I remember a panel from one of the older Black Panther titles where the Wakandan ruling council considered offering the cure to cancer in some kind of negotiating trade. Anyone owning a cancer cure is definitely not common knowledge in the Marvel universe. So being advanced to a point beyond what is believed by the rest of the world isn't that far removed from the books.

ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #102
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

My take on the trailer is that it's more of a World of Wakanda showcase than Black Panther. Compared to other first look superhero trailers, the main character isn't in it as much. So it's understandable that some people are a little disappointed. However, the general movie public hardly knows anything about Black Panther and his background compared to more established characters like Superman, Batman Spider-Man and Wonder Woman so quickly explaining his environment with this intro is a necessary move in my opinion.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:49 AM   #103
SONICobra
Batman

I like the trailer but not the music
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #104
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
Bingo. That was my main grief with the trailer. Africa is a continent of great sounds. How is it that every time a movie aimed to celebrate Pan-Africanism (the reason Black Panther was created in the first place), it is always accompanied by some kind of American hip hop? It really cheapens the impact of the story and shows Hollywood's lack of cultural understanding. There is more to Africa than this.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #105
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
It's a twisted little jab to me when I saw Angela Basset looking stunning with her white hair in the trailer. I always wanted her to play Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I was a huge advocate for Angela Bassett as Storm too. Such a no-brainer it blew my mind when they cast Halle Berry instead. She was so God awful.
Chalk that one up to looks as Halley Berry is 100x more attractive, plus she was way younger by almost 10 years.

X-Men came out in 2000, so that would have made Ms. Basset 41 years old, which is beyond the demo reach for young fanboys.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #106
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
Interesting... because I found the music to be one of the coolest aspects of this teaser. Generally I prefer an original score to modern music but when it fits, it fits. Much like Led Zeppelin's 'Immagrant Song" in the Thor Ragnarock trailer the lyrics here seem in line with the narrative -"Step into the spotlight", "Hear what I say, we are the business today" and "There is no training or taming of me." Prettty cool if you ask me.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #107
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

I did not like the preview at all.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #108
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Interesting... because I found the music to be one of the coolest aspects of this teaser. Generally I prefer an original score to modern music but when it fits, it fits. Much like Led Zeppelin's 'Immagrant Song" in the Thor Ragnarock trailer the lyrics here seem in line with the narrative -"Step into the spotlight", "Hear what I say, we are the business today" and "There is no training or taming of me." Prettty cool if you ask me.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:44 PM   #109
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
My take on the trailer is that it's more of a World of Wakanda showcase than Black Panther. Compared to other first look superhero trailers, the main character isn't in it as much. So it's understandable that some people are a little disappointed. However, the general movie public hardly knows anything about Black Panther and his background compared to more established characters like Superman, Batman Spider-Man and Wonder Woman so quickly explaining his environment with this intro is a necessary move in my opinion.
Good point, wouldn't be surprised if that's what they were going for. A broad stroke to better introduce the audience. Still not feeling it, but they'll probably focus in on the next one...give us more BP.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:02 AM   #110
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, not as bad as the assasin creed trailer i just didnt think it was "powerful" enough - like it lessened the impact the trailer had on me if that makes sense

For the record i LOVED the song choice for the ragnarok trailer
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote