Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 02-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

PCSC Street Fighter 1/4 Scale Secondary Values

I find the secondary market on these statues very interesting.

I dont follow the secondary market on other companies statues so how do my SF statues compare ?

Is it normal for values to rise the way they are ?

Why are people missing these on their initial release that they are willing to pay so much later ?
OuttaSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Statueguy
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureShock View Post

Why are people missing these on their initial release that they are willing to pay so much later ?
I know in my case, it's cause I am fairly new to collecting. And to complete a set or to get the popular characters ex: Ken,ryu,akuma. I have to be willing to pay a higher price. There is really no other company out there to get from.
Statueguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
I find the secondary market on these statues very interesting.

I dont follow the secondary market on other companies statues so how do my SF statues compare ?

Is it normal for values to rise the way they are ?

A lot of times we don't find out about the line until a couple of statues have been released. It doesn't help that the first couple of statues released are central characters to the Street Fighter universe.

I would think that the majority who miss out simply didn't know about the statues and not due to a lack of funds or interest.
darren1228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
High Lord Apocalypse
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

As with most popular lines, the first few characters always fetch a pretty penny down the line. (Akuma and Ryu from SF line,donatello from TMNT line, Doom from the PF line, X men vs sentinel #1 and Hulk vs Spiderman in the diorama line, martian manhunter from the JLA maquette line, white queen from the AH line)

Usually edition sizes are much lower in the begining of the line too as producers are unsure at the time.

Once more people find out about the line, its already some time into it. So they're willing to pay big on one or two pieces to catch up.
High Lord Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
High Lord Apocalypse
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

now the last ones or the ones with inflated edition size compared to the intial few in the same line also decreases desirability and value. (Batman and Aquaman maquette of the JLA line, Guile in the SF line, ironman vs namor in the diorama line, etc)

people always think they can purchase it down the line but we know how that goes.
High Lord Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

So we are saying that some collectors of this line didnt collect statues before ?

I would think if they did they would be getting Sideshows newsletter and always be aware of the next piece.

And what about Zangief and Ken ? They werent early releases yet secondary prices are pretty high.
OuttaSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
THE_BEAST
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I still need a zangief
THE_BEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
sdbuzzcut
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

I collected statues, mostly Bowen, when Akuma was first available, but I wasn't on Sideshow's email list.

The first I knew about Shin Akuma was in-hand pictures on this forum. I thought, wow, I need one of those and went to SS's website. They were sold out but I got on the waitlist and was lucky enough to be offered a damaged box Shin Akuma (at a reduced price) via email and jumped at the chance. Luckily his beads were in a baggie and the paint was perfect.

The only Street Fighter PF I've had to pay over retail for was regular Akuma, only because I was late to the game.

I think the folks who are paying over retail nowadays didn't know about the line or didn't have the funds at the time. Still others may have stayed on the sidelines but are jumping on board now the prices on so many of the early statues are skyrocketing in price. Everyone wants the cool grails from this line and other (mostly SS) offerings.

I'll bet Jerry wishes he had a bunch more APs of the early statues. I know I do!
sdbuzzcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
chaggs1
Luke Cage

Quote:
So we are saying that some collectors of this line didnt collect statues before ?

I would think if they did they would be getting Sideshows newsletter and always be aware of the next piece.

And what about Zangief and Ken ? They werent early releases yet secondary prices are pretty high.
Being in the UK I only came across collecting statues by accident when visiting Forbidden planet in LONDON. We don't have many comic stores in the Uk like the states and having no internet back then I missed out on some of the grails we love to talk about on the forum. Even if a statue is for sell in the UK, the mark is sometimes double plus of what the US collectors are paying.

It was only be accident that I stumbled across PCS when Play.com were selling off Ken statues in it sale. I have never looked back since. I will never own a Shin Akuma but then I would never be able to afford what he goes for these days. You rarely see any PCS stuff over here so thank god for the internet and Sideshow for distributing them
chaggs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
TheSFToySpirit
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I'm a bit in the same case of Chaggs1, here in Switzerland there is absolutely nothing about PCS statues or else anywhere and Street Fighter is not very popular apart the game. Like I collect exclusively Street Fighter things since 5-6 years, I began with the few action figures and some goodies that I found here, and after I started to buy the Sota's 1/6 line and my first PCS pieces on a Swiss website where the prices were very expensive (for the example I paid approximately 350$ for the Akuma PCS regular bust!!) but unfortunately I didnt know yet at this time websites like Sideshow and I'm registered to eBay since not a lot of time too... That's why I missed a lot of pieces

But now I intend to save all the money that I can and catch up my late!.. Whatever the price, one day I'll have all of them!

Fortunately I'm still young
TheSFToySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote