Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 02-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
darren1228
Zot

I started off collecting 1/6 Hot Toys figures. It wasn't until I started to visit the SSF board that I got into statues.
Oh and I ditched collecting 1/6....like statues so much more!
darren1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #12
Alucard
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

Jerry I statred collecting mcfarlan matrix and predator figures when I was 16 I'm now 29, I stopped sometime in the middle of my life collecting and started getting into cars and collecting guns. Two of my friends from work told me abt sideshow last year around June and that's when I saw the bison reg and ex, I ordered the regular and got on the waiting list for the ex and thank god it converted. Now I want all of your street fighter statues as I am a street fighter fan. I wish that I knew abt sideshow when you first released these statues now I have to pay top dollars to have them.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
jye318
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Well like me, I didn't collect statues until last sdcc, and ita hard to start knowing the price will go up when I start, so far I miss the akuma and ryu only, I think I pay good price from the secondary market!!
jye318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #14
wizardjones
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureShock View Post
So we are saying that some collectors of this line didnt collect statues before ?

I would think if they did they would be getting Sideshows newsletter and always be aware of the next piece.

And what about Zangief and Ken ? They werent early releases yet secondary prices are pretty high.
I never knew about sideshow until last year Jerry. I haven't even seen pictures on those statues because I only really knew about Bowen and that they were kind of pricey. Once I started collecting 1/6 scale toys I stumbled upon Premium format 1:4 scale statues and that is where the fun began. Months later I was quickly heart broken that Ryu came out two years ago.
No one else are doing the street fighter statues. If they are doing them they are not the same quality that your company seems to be putting them out at. So for me it creates a timeless piece in my house hold.
wizardjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #15
Quest99
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Unhappy

I have got to be one of the newest PCS collectors. I have no 1/4 statue. Three of them are being ship as I am writing this. I am not even sure to be able to get any of the M. bison yet as they sold out. (525-750$ on eBay already)

I am new to collecting statues and paying the price for starting late.
Quest99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #16
Averone
Kindly Asked To Leave

Its rare that I miss a statue, but I had a gut feeling these would be very popular.
I played the games as a kid, my kids play them and so on and so on...
Plus you sculpts were known to me bofore you started doing the SF line.

Why do they go up in price?
Maybe since we don't want to sell them when we get them! And with low ediition sizes on the first few....

You get the picture!
Averone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #17
High Lord Apocalypse
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest99 View Post
I have got to be one of the newest PCS collectors. I have no 1/4 statue. Three of them are being ship as I am writing this. I am not even sure to be able to get any of the M. bison yet as they sold out. (525-750$ on eBay already)

I am new to collecting statues and paying the price for starting late.
Get on the waitlist before eBay. It will convert.
Also check comicshops online.
High Lord Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #18
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

Thanks for all the answers.

Being so close to the business I sort of live in a bubble where I figured everyone who was into any kind of pop culture merchandise would know about Sideshow.

Interesting that so many of you didnt.

So here is a touchy question.

Do you think the edition sizes creeping up to the 500/250 area will seriously affect secondary prices on the newer statues ?

What are the typical Sideshow/Bowen ES ?
OuttaSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #19
Tin
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

I think alot of the reason these have good secondary market value is because of the subject matter and the advertising.

Like so many have already posted, I collected action figures when I was younger, and got a few of the 12" sideshow stuff whilst I was in america. I could never understand why anyone would pay that amount of money for a collectible that didn't even look that good (back when sideshow released Logan PF, Han PF, Luke PF).

Street Fighter has always been a big part of my life, and luckily I was looking for something on ebay and saw the Ryu statue.... It was just after my birthday so had spare cash so had to bid on it. It only went for around £120 (roughly $190 now) aswell!!!!!!!!

It wasn't long after release either, so managed to get Akuma real cheap too (after having an initial problem with an order with the shop saying "it will be with us next week" for about 2 months).

To cut a long story short, I think the big reason that these have high secondary market value is that the people that would really want these wouldnt really know about them. Street Fighter will always stir up alot of retro love and memories for alot of people my age, back in the days where everyone was gathered round an old machine figuring stuff out.

If people dont know about them and chance upon them later, and low ediition sizes meaning 99% are with people that want to keep them, then thats how you get such a high price for them on the secondary market. Lots of people want to buy + not many available for sale, high demand=high cost :P

*Edit* Crossover on your post so adding more :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
So here is a touchy question.

Do you think the edition sizes creeping up to the 500/250 area will seriously affect secondary prices on the newer statues ?

What are the typical Sideshow/Bowen ES ?
More than anything I think that the thing that will affect secondary market prices is capcom releasing new SF stuff and people chancing across these, unless you do an advertising campaign of some sort.

On that note, got something along those lines that I really need to ask thats kind of urgent, ok if I pm/email you?
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #20
jye318
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Guile have too many edition, it's sold out cheap on eBay, bison regular, you can get it less the $300 shipped, I have preorder a regular bison 3 months ago for $320 shipped, but now is cheaper, I don't know was it like that for the older one, but the secondary market for the latest SF are not that good, and I believe is all because of the edition size !!
jye318 is offline   Reply With Quote