Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 03-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #381
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Keith, this is the one you should buy! It has that awesome Hercules/Pluto story I told you about, "Thunder in the Netherworld!" Some of the most awsome superhero goodness ever created!
I do plan on buying it.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #382
StatueBandit
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

For the most part I have most of the Omnibus books I want with the exception of

1 - Daredevil Brubaker Vol.1
2 - Uncanny X-MEN Claremont Vol.1 & 2
StatueBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #383
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I do plan on buying it.
I did this review of the story I mentioned (spoiler warning) in The Mighty Reviews back in 7/13/05:
Classic Non-Trade Reviews

Yes, you read that heading correctly. The two of us have been reviewing many of our favorite trades for several months now. But like many of you, we’re guessing, there are some outstanding comics stories that have never (to our knowledge) been captured in trade format. Why this is the case simply boggles our minds. So here are two choices we feel should get the trade wrapper ASAP. We hope you agree!

Wktf’s Review

“Thunder in the Netherworld!”
Collecting: Journey Into Mystery #125, The Mighty Thor #s 126-130
Written by: Stan Lee
Drawn by: Jack Kirby
Why a Trade? Guys, it doesn’t get any better than this!

The year was 1966, four years and forty-two issues after the appearance of The Mighty Thor in the pages of Journey Into Mystery #83. Stan and Jack, with issue #125, the last issue to be called Journey Into Mystery until the title changed to The Mighty Thor with the next issue, took their readers on an explosive whirlwind six issue story that must rank as one of the singe greatest continuing Thor adventure epics ever created.

Check this out! We begin with “When Meet The Immortals!” in which Odin, Thor’s enraged father, commands the forces of Asgard to attack his son for revealing his identity of Dr. Blake to the mortal Jane Foster. Hercules, in the mean time, has made his way to New York and, having foiled a robbery by hurling lamp post through the getaway car, is seeking to woo the very same Jane. Having overcome all of Asgard’s forces in a furiously violent Ritual of Steel to reunite with Jane, Thor is incredulous that Hercules is rebutting him in defense of Jane who was hurt by Thor’s absence. The ensuing battle, in “Whom The Gods Would Destroy!” pits Thor vs. Hercules in an all-out no-holds-barred slugfest throughout Manhattan. Victory is stolen from Thor by his angered father who, in his love for his son cannot punish him directly but, in a display of colossal bad judgment, gives the Odinpower to a courtier called Seidring the Merciless to strip Thor of half his strength. Of course, armed with the Odinpower, Seidring then turns on Odin and takes control of Asgard. With Thor’s strength halved, Hercules wipes the ground with him. Humiliated, dejected and utterly defeated, no longer certain his deserves the mantle of Thunder God, Thor leaves an anguished Jane Foster to face his father’s judgment. What ensues, in “The Hammer and the Holocaust!” is an already battered but desperate Thor’s impossible victory over the Odin-powerful Seidring, a victory that restores the power to Odin who, then, regains the throne but nearly kills Thor. At the end of this issue, a remorseful Odin carries the limp body of his beloved son away. In “The Power of Pluto,” as Thor recovers, Hercules is duped into signing a contract to replace Pluto as Lord of the Netherworld. A revived and empowered Thor, looking for round two with Hercules, comes to his aide instead against the hordes of Hades, surprising Hercules with his renewed prodigious strength. But, “In The Verdict of Zeus!” Hercules pleads for mercy from his father and seeks the help of his Olympian brethren from his plight. Due to his centuries of arrogance, however, no one on Mt. Olympus is willing to lift a finger for the son of Zeus. A monumental coincidence (thanks, Stan!) sends Thor into limbo for the Day of the Three Worlds where Thor is commanded to stake all on behalf of another. Who needs him the most? Yup, Thor’s former foe, Hercules. Thor must battle for Hercules’ freedom and, if he loses, will be doomed to rule Hades in Hercules’ stead.

This story wraps in “Thunder in the Netherworld!” in which Thor, after having previously been beaten, humiliated, stripped of his power, and nearly killed over the prior five issues, finally gets to cut lose at his full strength. And, man, does he ever. Single-handedly and with his full power at his command, Thor takes on the entire populace of Pluto’s realm in defense of Hercules who, in an ironic turnaround, has now been stripped of his power by Zeus. Thor’s battle is cataclysmic and pure Kirby goodness, as are all the previous chapters. Victory is total and glorious for Thor, defeat comes at a great price for Pluto after Thor’s rampage, and Hercules vows Thor his lifelong friendship. What else can I say? Stan and Jack are at the absolute height of their powers with this story. Stan really cuts lose with dialogue like, “Anger??! By the bristling beard of Odin, thou knowest not the meaning of the word! Not all the fury in the heavens - - not all the savagery on Earth - - can equal the senses-shattering cyclone of rage with is Thor, when seized by a pounding paroxysm of wrath!” It’s corny but pure Stan! And how does Thor get all that dialogue in while delivering just a single blow? Dunno, but it’s golden! This epic spans New York, Asgard, Olympus, and Hades and deals with love, anger, loyalty, friendship and all-out pulse pounding battles. It combines mythology, science fiction and pure superhero elements beautifully. Fantastic Four and Captain America may be the more famous Lee/Kirby efforts but none of them surpass, and few even match, this epic for sheer Silver Age Marvel magic!

Last edited by wktf; 03-16-2013 at 08:47 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #384
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatueBandit View Post
For the most part I have most of the Omnibus books I want with the exception of

1 - Daredevil Brubaker Vol.1
2 - Uncanny X-MEN Claremont Vol.1 & 2
Is vol 2 the Claremont/Jim Lee one? I don't recall a vol 2 from the Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne run....
Old 03-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #385
risingstar
Jedi Order

I read through Journey Into Mystery issues 83-111 (most of Thor Omnibus Vol 1) and while it was an okay read, it read like Golden Age comics, i.e., simple stories with no real overall direction. At no point did I find myself thinking that I'd want to revisit these issues at some later date. However, I am aware that Thor does pick up in quality reading later on.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #386
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I read through Journey Into Mystery issues 83-111 (most of Thor Omnibus Vol 1) and while it was an okay read, it read like Golden Age comics, i.e., simple stories with no real overall direction. At no point did I find myself thinking that I'd want to revisit these issues at some later date. However, I am aware that Thor does pick up in quality reading later on.
Absolutely - the second Omnibus will be where it's at.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #387
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Absolutely - the second Omnibus will be where it's at.
Totally! Just read my review a few posts before this one.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #388
Shoo
Hercules

Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #389
protector2814
Phoenix

Just ordered The Mighty Thor, V2 omnibus. Shipping in August from Amazon. $57 pre-order.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #390
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Just ordered The Mighty Thor, V2 omnibus. Shipping in August from Amazon. $57 pre-order.
Cheapgraphicnovels.com has it for $49.99 but they charge on pre-order where Amazon, I think, doesn't charge until shipment.