Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Blizzard / Weta

Old 11-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #121
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfnar View Post
No worries, here's the the thing with criticism, if it's constructive, goal oriented, and useful with a clear action plan for now or the future, it demonstrates actual caring about helping someone. I don't see how anyone would be upset receiving constructive criticism like that.

Thanks for the good idea for next time if it happens again, i appreciate it.
No problem. Like I said, I hope they make it right for you.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:24 AM   #122
SDguy

Finally assembled D.Va tonight. She is shockingly big and heavy. Legs are 6 pounds, torso another 10... didn't check the rest. Some of the weathering paint app is nicely done, some is not. Some lines are crisp and straight, some are not. Overall a nice piece for the price.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171118_021110.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	109426  
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:58 AM   #123
cyrax83
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

So disappointed. My DVA came scratched right out of the box - defective product. Going to cry

*sigh* Paid all that money for international shipping and this happens. I'll contact Blizzard but they may not do anything?

cyrax83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #124
Vendetta
The X-Men

I have a scratch or two on the transparent canopy too. I can be a bit nit-picky about things, but for some reason I think I'm just going to settle for what I have in the condition it's in (some of the weathering is pretty shoddy, and some of the paint just isn't the best) because it still looks quite good when it's set up.

Maybe the sheer weight and size of this thing plays a role too (it's a lot easier hauling a Widowmaker back to UPS than this monstrosity).
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #125
cyrax83

I have good news and bad news

Bad news - Blizzard wanted me to ship the whole thing back to them - it would have cost me more than half of the total purchase price to send back. I tried a few reps and all said the same thing. Really not impressed at their service for international customers who get defective product straight out of the box. I really don't understand how they could ship with an ugly scratch bang spot in the middle.

Good news - I managed to buff the scratch out. It now looks great.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:47 AM   #126
Ehollywood
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrax83 View Post
I have good news and bad news

Bad news - Blizzard wanted me to ship the whole thing back to them - it would have cost me more than half of the total purchase price to send back. I tried a few reps and all said the same thing. Really not impressed at their service for international customers who get defective product straight out of the box. I really don't understand how they could ship with an ugly scratch bang spot in the middle.

nice pic!
Ehollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:49 AM   #127
Xenoex

Finally received and unboxed my copy. Overall good paintjob with just a few very minor imperfections typical of mass produced statues. I'm very happy with it and feel it is actually worth the $450 asking price! Actually liking it more than my Widowmaker and Tracer statues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrax83 View Post
Bad news - Blizzard wanted me to ship the whole thing back to them

Good to hear you were able to buff the scratch away, it looks very smooth in the new picture you posted

Blizzard's return policy really sucks though, it is very unfair to you (or any other buyers) as you were essentially shipped a product with a defect. Guess they don't really care as for every 1 customer that won't buy from them again due to being unhappy with their return policy, there will be 10 more new fans/buyers of their statues.
Xenoex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:51 AM   #128
cyrax83

Old 11-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #129
Vendetta
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoex View Post
Finally received and unboxed my copy. Overall good paintjob with just a few very minor imperfections typical of mass produced statues. I'm very happy with it and feel it is actually worth the $450 asking price! Actually liking it more than my Widowmaker and Tracer statues.

Good to hear you were able to buff the scratch away, it looks very smooth in the new picture you posted

Blizzard's return policy really sucks though, it is very unfair to you (or any other buyers) as you were essentially shipped a product with a defect. Guess they don't really care as for every 1 customer that won't buy from them again due to being unhappy with their return policy, there will be 10 more new fans/buyers of their statues.
I think it's an unfortunate aspect for international buyers. As a domestic buyer, I've found the customer service to be at least on par with Sideshow's - I've had to return Widowmaker and Illidan due to defects / breakage, and I was able to get replacements with them paying for shipping of the damaged statue back to them and shipping of the new statue back to me.

The one thing that's a bit annoying is having to ship the whole statue back, even if the issue is on a small piece that attaches to the main statue; I think this is an element of their policy that they could revisit, at least for international customers.

On a related note, I feel OK about the $450 price too, and for me this is by far my favorite of the five statues I have so far (including Soldier 76 from the CE). I'm probably just a sucker for the size of this thing, but I love the presence it has. I just wish they'd improve the finish on these things so it'd be at least on par with their Warcraft line.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #130
Ulfnar
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
I think it's an unfortunate aspect for international buyers. As a domestic buyer, I've found the customer service to be at least on par with Sideshow's - I've had to return Widowmaker and Illidan due to defects / breakage, and I was able to get replacements with them paying for shipping of the damaged statue back to them and shipping of the new statue back to me.

The one thing that's a bit annoying is having to ship the whole statue back, even if the issue is on a small piece that attaches to the main statue; I think this is an element of their policy that they could revisit, at least for international customers.

On a related note, I feel OK about the $450 price too, and for me this is by far my favorite of the five statues I have so far (including Soldier 76 from the CE). I'm probably just a sucker for the size of this thing, but I love the presence it has. I just wish they'd improve the finish on these things so it'd be at least on par with their Warcraft line.
I think one issue with these statues versus the warcraft statues that leads the finish and paint to look worse overall is the fact that the warcraft sculpts have an immense amount of texturing on the various surfaces that mimics detail, or makes painting those details easier.

I actually don't think the paint quality is much different between the two lines, just that the overwatch characters due to their cartoon/anime inspired style, there isn't a focus on gritty texturing and realism, and as such, all details have to be painted on perfectly, whereas a lot of the details on the warcraft statues get done with an undercoat and a dry brush to bring out the raised areas of the texturing, which looks really good and is really easy to do.

TLDR - i think it's harder to paint the statues well with the overwatch art style than the heavily textured warcraft statues.
Ulfnar is offline   Reply With Quote