Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 07-27-2009, 12:40 AM   #11
isculpt
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Can't wait to see you tackle this monster, I wonder how you are going to mask this guy.
isculpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
Elia Cid
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

The Horse

Hi everyone,
Instead of priming the entire piece using my two stage priming system (silver enamel followed by acrylic flat white), after much thought, I decided to take a different approach.

Here's my rationale. The difficulty associated with this piece evolves around the fact that it does not come apart and its weight. This will increase over handling and increase the odds of damage. Removing the paint may reveal additional issues like air holes. The fact that the factory paint job was applied thinly was a plus and that the statue had the correct base color which would serve as my primer, gave me the ability to leave some things in place and enhance existing well painted factory areas like the mist!

That being said, large areas like Conan's body and the horse’s body will be completely painted!

The Horse:

My approach was to mask out the mist and use it as a handle. I then masked out Conan since I will be using his factory base colors as my base primer and did not want the colors on him blackened out. I also masked out the horse’s mask and eyes.

When painting horses keep in mind horses have an inner luminosity and warm areas. Also I should note that there is almost never an absolutely pitch black horse. In fact, most are a black brown color, and many have white markings on at least one of their hoofs, which is quite common.

The first thing I did was to paint in all my warm areas mostly under the body and where the extremities like where the legs meet the body (an example of a warm area in the human body is our arm pits).

Then I blend in with flat dark brown the tones under and in the warm areas. These tones are a little flatter and not as glossy as the top coat. The top coat is then painted on in a very localized manner. I finally accent the top coat a mixture of flat black and dark flat blue.

When this dries, I coat the horse with regular house wax. I don't use Testors or any of the glossing products out there because I prefer to gradually escalate and control the sheen in steps. Also, if I need to remove any of it, I can do so without any permanent damage to the paint job. Please look at my website. I will be posting complete details on the under painting of horses.

The Hair, Mane and Tail:

Using dark gray, I followed this up by washes of black and finally I dry stroke with light gray for highlights. Note that the hair is black and if it starts to look more gray you’re dry stroking to much with gray. I do not gloss the hair.

The Hoofs:

The hoofs are painted by Tamiya colors: flat earth, light gray, and a touch of flat green. I then lighten and darken as needed. The horse’s shoes are gun metal touched up with silver. Note, inside the hoof if it appears to have mud or dirt, paint in an earth color.

The Mask:

I like to emphasize that the mask is for the most part the horse’s face and requires an expression and character. It is important to follow the bone structure of the horse’s face when painting. The Tamiya colors I use are, light gray, and mixture of gray, black and white. The emblem was just touched up.

I know this is a lot to read, but for the statue and miniature figure painters it’s never enough!

Thanks, and stay tune for Conan next!

Alex
Frank Frazetta's “ Conan the Conqueror”

On this Close-up the background was removed with Photoshop! Note the gold strap is still not painted.
From CS Moore Studio, 1/7 scale, sculptured by Clayburn Moore,work in progress by Alex Castro ©

Frazetta - original painting--------------------- Castro's Work in progress - painted statute ----------------- Factory paint job
Elia Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
Elia Cid

"The Horse "part #2

This original painting from Frazetta screams movement and action...!!! Clayburn Moore did and excellent job in bringing that out in the anatomy of this sculpture!
My job as a painter is to articulate visually what these two great artist have worked so hard to create, with movement and action...!!!

The Mask:
I like to emphasize that the mask is for the most part the horse's face and requires an expression and character in order tp bring to bear the spirit of this fierce looking horse jumping right into the heart of the battle!!!

In these two pictures I have removed the mist to emphasize the explosive action this piece portrays!

From CS Moore Studio, 1/7 scale, sculptured by Clayburn Moore,work in progress by Alex Castro ©
Old 09-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #14
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Any updates Alex?
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #15
Elia Cid

Update, work's in progress on "Conan the Conqueror."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Any updates Alex?

Dear Friends,

My apologies for the delay in posting the work's in progress on "Conan the Conqueror." I decided that instead of posting in piece meal, I would wait until I completed sections and provide the actual step-by-step for those who are interested to follow on my website.

This is one of my favorite pieces of Frazetta's work. That being said, this is one of those rare cases that I like the whole but don't particularly like some of the parts. When painting sculptured pieces you don't have the flexibility of re-doing the face to your liking; you have to work with what you have. In my opinion, on close examination of the original painting, the face was almost comical in it's "Berserker" expression. Bye the way I did add a tongue but it was just wild .!Viewed from this perspective, the sculpturing was done exceptionally well!!!

That being said , I felt that I had to start with the face. This also is one of those pieces that is an example of when not to follow the original painting and be creative! The skin tones had a very pale and almost yellowish tint. I decided to go with more realistic flesh tones. I also took the liberty to add more scars to his face, around the eyes and brow area. I also changed the gaze of his eyes a little more downward and to the left! One of my biggest concern with the face, as I was finishing it, was the expression. This piece can very easily go from a "fearless" to a "fearful" look if your not careful!!

I added hair to the chest, more or less in the same length and direction, as the original painting. I may go thicker or darker or even add more as I go along with the piece. I'm not locking myself into anything at this point!

I still have to work on the hemet,the hair, necklace, leather belts, straps, arms, veins and hands.

Thanks for sticking around to see Conan come to life!

Alex

Frazetta's "Conan the Conqueror"

Conan, what is good in life?' 'To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, to hear the lamentation of their women.'

From CS Moore Studio, 1/7 scale, sculptured by Clayburn Moore, work in progress by Alex Castro ©

had to dig down and ask Crom (Crom is a fictional deity imagined by Robert E. Howard) himself to give me a hand with this one . It is a very difficult piece to hold and paint with out assistance!!
From CS Moore Studio, 1/7 scale, sculptured by Clayburn Moore, work in progress by Alex Castro ©
Old 09-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #16
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Looks fantastic so far, I should have waited for you to finish yours before I did my repaint so I could apply some of your idea's.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #17
Elia Cid

My apologizes for the long time out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Any updates Alex?
Darrin ,

My apologies for the long wait!
I’ll be back with a full write-up on this soon. Please enjoy these works in progress until then!

Thanks for looking!

Alex

Frazetta's "Conan the Conqueror"

Conan, what is good in life?' 'To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, to hear the lamentation of their women.'

Old 05-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #18
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

welcome back Alex, its been to long and absolutely lovin this update .
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #19
Elia Cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
welcome back Alex, its been to long and absolutely lovin this update .
Warhead,

Good to be back, I see you have been doing some beautiful work!

Thanks buddy!
Old 05-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #20
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Looks great Alex,

I was wondering whatever happened on this one. I tried to post a question about it at your website but got some kind of error message
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote