Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #21
brian_postman
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

the breraton vampi piece!...brian...
brian_postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #22
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Even though I am not familiar with the character, I like the Timm piece better.
Ditto!
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #23
risingstar
Jedi Order

If I had 3k to spend, I think I'd wait for something else to come along.
I mean, those are nice, but they don't have that "must have" feeling for me.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #24
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

what are the items that you are gonna sell?
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #25
superboylives
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
what are the items that you are gonna sell?
As of now these are the three pieces that I'll probably be moving. I might be able to hold on to them until next year when the economy is a little better, but I hate to spend my cash on new art when I have stuff laying around that I need to sell. The lone ranger is the best of the bunch, so it will be the last to go. I also decided to get the Timm pulp cover. The Brereton was just to much money and the resell on his work is about 50-60% of cost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2face.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	49027   Click image for larger version

Name:	ghost.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	49028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Timmloneranger2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	49029  
superboylives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #26
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I'd go with TImm personally

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #27
daikins
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

What are you asking for Two Face?
daikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:22 AM   #28
DeKind
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

neither personally. The first is far too obscure for myself to justify the cash and with the vampirella peice, i think the face and pose are terrible for over $3,000. There are far better portrayals of that character in my opinion.

For example, the original to this Jusko cover went on Ebay a few weeks back for around $2,600 and was actually quite large if i remember correctly.

Something like that is more my cup-o-tea myself. Looks a bit more like an art peice as opposed to a goofy cartoon. I really have a hard time seeing that Timm peice fetching anything close to what you'd be paying either if you had to sell it.

With that budget and a Vampirella peice in mind i'd either comission my own or wait for something else to come along. Thats my opinion and those would be my concerns though, ymmv.
DeKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #29
superboylives
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKind View Post
neither personally. The first is far too obscure for myself to justify the cash and with the vampirella peice, i think the face and pose are terrible for over $3,000. There are far better portrayals of that character in my opinion.

For example, the original to this Jusko cover went on Ebay a few weeks back for around $2,600 and was actually quite large if i remember correctly.

Something like that is more my cup-o-tea myself. Looks a bit more like an art peice as opposed to a goofy cartoon. I really have a hard time seeing that Timm peice fetching anything close to what you'd be paying either if you had to sell it.

With that budget and a Vampirella peice in mind i'd either comission my own or wait for something else to come along. Thats my opinion and those would be my concerns though, ymmv.
Although I agree with you on the prices of both of the pieces(to much dough), but I would prefer spending $3500 for the Brereton piece before I would spend $2600 for the Jusko. The Jusko Vampi looks to much like a photo of a girl taken at a portrait studio. There's no story here. Just vampi on her throne. Dan's has all of these fallen classic horror creatures (Frankenstein, werewolf, mummy, etc) at Vampi's feet. Having said that I'm pretty sure that the resale of Dan's Vampi would be closer to $2k and that is a huge hit. I like it a lot, but the market for his work just isn't there yet. Bruce's work sells for quite a bit. Even this Spirit cover sold for $1600 the first day of last year's comic-con. There is a lot less detail in it than the Hard Boiled cover, but it having the spirit in it might account for the easy sale. You have also made me think of a question that I have had for other collectors. Do collectors buy art for the subject matter, the artist or the art? I have no great desire to own a Vamperilla piece, but I love Dan's painting. Do other collectors purchase art even if they don't know the character if they like the art? Or does it have to be of a character that you love?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spirit-15.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	49059  
superboylives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #30
Meeley Man
Kindly Asked To Leave
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboylives View Post
Do collectors buy art for the subject matter, the artist or the art? I have no great desire to own a Vamperilla piece, but I love Dan's painting. Do other collectors purchase art even if they don't know the character if they like the art? Or does it have to be of a character that you love?

Oh, I'm sure that collectors buy art based on subject matter or artist, over the character it might have in it. I've bought stuff simply because of the cool feeling I get from the piece, even if I have little or no knowledge of the character(s) it depicts.
Meeley Man is offline   Reply With Quote