Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 08-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #31
pavehawk78
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjf28 View Post
Im sorry. Thats a nice discount, but still.

Maybe Im just too cheap, but how do you justify a 12.5" statue for almost $300 retail? $200 at the cheapest?
You're right.....you are cheap lol
You also get $6.25 shipping at dcbs.
pavehawk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #32
chezzrok
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

it is a quality sculpt and reflects the essence on the villian, Hero and the dynamic of their relationship perfectly, imho
chezzrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:38 AM   #33
cjf28
U talkin' to me?

I dont doubt that for a minute. Its a beautiful piece. I just cant help but think I can get a SideShow Green Lantern Premium Format piece next year, for less than $295
cjf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #34
cjf28
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavehawk78 View Post
You're right.....you are cheap lol
You also get $6.25 shipping at dcbs.
Being poor allows me the luxury of being cheap
Old 08-15-2011, 01:00 AM   #35
vorpoll
Shadowhawk

Now with Sideshow in the picture I am more inclined to wait to see what they release. I just like the bigger scales but I do agree it is a great looking piece.
vorpoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:22 AM   #36
pavehawk78
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjf28 View Post
Being poor allows me the luxury of being cheap
I know the feeling....cheap is the only luxury us poor guys can afford.
pavehawk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:27 AM   #37
Ladylusiphur
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

In this case i think the quality justifies the price, and it's not like I ever pay full retail price for a statue anyway so hopefully I'll get this a bit cheaper.

I do appreciate that Sideshow will make some great things but It's a bit sad that however good DC Direct make something now they're immediately considered inferior to a future statue that doesn't actually exist
yet.

They'll no doubt all be great but I see no reason why that means DC need to be talked down because of it. They're great too. Especially in this particular example.
Ladylusiphur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #38
cjf28
U talkin' to me?

No one is talking down the quality of the statue. Im talking down the price.

$300 12" statue
or
$230-ish 18-20" statue

and unfortunately, DCD will be compared to SS. regardless. Nature of the beast.

both companies put out some nice pieces. (I have both the Leg. Bust and PF Green Lantern from DCD). But with tight times financially, people are going to need more bang for their buck.

Not necessarily as a whole, but more than not.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #39
Ladylusiphur
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

It's true that $300 is a bit steep, but I think the occasional really good piece is worth it, whatever the size. If you only collect the big ones then I think they lose their impact a little. Better to have some light and shade, and a few little guys. Is the amount of work that's gone into it worth the price tag? That's what I'll decide once I've seen it in the flesh. Plus it's a weird shape so height might not quite dictate the impact size-wise. (compared to a single figure standing up, say)

I do agree these things are getting a bit too pricey though, especially for those of us in the UK who have to pay an additional $40 shipping. (and that still works out better than LCS prices)

My own pet hate is the amount of 'lines' they put out rather than stand alone 'impact' pieces.
I've spent $80 on a statue I didn't like that much for the sake of collecting the full set before now (and no doubt I'll do it again with 2 of the cover girls) and frankly I'd feel a whole lot better putting the cash towards something decent like this.
I think there's at least 4 women of DC busts I wouldn't have paid for if they'd just been individual pieces. I'm clearly a gullible fool!
Ladylusiphur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #40
chezzrok
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladylusiphur View Post
It's true that $300 is a bit steep, but I think the occasional really good piece is worth it, whatever the size. If you only collect the big ones then I think they lose their impact a little. Better to have some light and shade, and a few little guys. Is the amount of work that's gone into it worth the price tag? That's what I'll decide once I've seen it in the flesh. Plus it's a weird shape so height might not quite dictate the impact size-wise. (compared to a single figure standing up, say)

I do agree these things are getting a bit too pricey though, especially for those of us in the UK who have to pay an additional $40 shipping. (and that still works out better than LCS prices)

My own pet hate is the amount of 'lines' they put out rather than stand alone 'impact' pieces.
I've spent $80 on a statue I didn't like that much for the sake of collecting the full set before now (and no doubt I'll do it again with 2 of the cover girls) and frankly I'd feel a whole lot better putting the cash towards something decent like this.
I think there's at least 4 women of DC busts I wouldn't have paid for if they'd just been individual pieces. I'm clearly a gullible fool!
well said and share your grief
love the poison elves avatar
chezzrok is offline   Reply With Quote