Old 10-31-2016, 12:03 AM   #713
risingstar
Jedi Order

The end of faith by Sam Harris. Awesome read so far
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #714
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Just picked up "Peter Lindbergh: A Different Vision on Fashion Photography" by Taschen America. I am just in love with Taschen's art books. Actually, tome is a much better description for many of thier art books. Peter Lindbergh is basically 10" x 14" and is 524 pages. Only gotten about 1/2 way through thus far and its definitely a Taschen art book through and through. Absolutely beautiful.

OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #715
Babytoxie
Ghost

Based on my thoroughly enjoying the first season of the BBCA series, I finally read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams. The book and the show have almost nothing in common (including the portrayal of the main character, oddly enough), but each is excellent in its own right.

The novel's sequel, The Long Dark Tea-Time of The Soul, starts off well enough but is nowhere near as good.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:21 PM   #716
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Just recived my Art of Red Sonja Vol.2 and have been throughly enjoying it. There is just something about Red Sonja that brings out the best in the artists that depict her. I have really enjoyed Jenny Frison's Sonja work. She has a very unique style and I for one really love it. All in all its just a beautiful book and a must have for all Sonja fans.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #717
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Well, I finally did it. I repruchased Taschen's "The Art of Pin-Up". I had originally purchased this book when it first came out, but due to an unfortunate set of circumstances regarding the present I was getting my best freind for his 40th birthday party at the time, I wound up giving it to him instead. Like myself, he is a HUGE pin-up fan so it really made the perfect gift. Unfortunately for me, I got it at a great price, $74 if I remember correctly, which is one of the lowest prices I have ever seen it selling for and of course, as soon as I gave it too him, the price shot right back up to the $150 range (The MSRP is $200).

The price on this book goes up and down like the stock market, but it rarely ever gets below $100 and its usually priced around the $130-$150 range. Being as stubborn as I am, I refused spending that amount when I got it for so much cheaper the first time around. So I have been patiently waiting until I could get it for roughly the same price I bought it for initially. Unfortunately for me, every time it has reached those lower price levels, which hasnn't been very often, I wasn't abe to buy it due to already being over budget on my hobby purchases.

Well, I woke up today and saw it was priced at $88 and I had $35 left on an Amazon gift certificate. So I finally said screw it and placed my order a few minutes ago. I got it for $53 with my gift certificate and I honestly can't wait for it to arrive. For those that have never seen this book in person, its is without question the single nicest pin-up book ever created. It absolutely massive as its 13" wide x 20" long x 3" deep and weighs in at 546 pages and 14.8 pounds. As I have stated in regards to other Taschen books, a massive tome is a much better representation of these Tachen's XL and XXL books than the word book. Their just so far above 99% of the rest of the art books on the market that it feels like your doing it a disservice by calling it an art book. Again, a massive tomb of beautiful art is a much better representation.

If your a fan of pin-up art, you really can't get a better book on the market. Its books like these that have made Taschen my single favorite art book company on the market. And its current at a very good price. If you wait and your lucky, you might see it drop by another $5-$10, but its far more likely that it will shoot back up over $100 very soon so my advice would be to buy it now if you really want this book and trust me on this one, if you even have a slight interest in pin-up art, you absolutey want this book.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:45 AM   #718
Vracula
Jedi Order

Just finished 'Ready Player One' by Ernest Cline .An absolute must for a child of the80's. Full of 80's refrences of all kinds from Movies to Video games to music. The story is just riveting.

I heard it over Audible and it was narrted by Wil Wheaton who did an amazing job.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #719
ukshaun
Hercules

This arrived today:
The Princess Diarist - Carrie Fisher (A sort of memoir...)

I've only just finished reading:
Carrie Fisher - Wishful Drinking

At only 150 pages long, it took no time to read. Fishers words on her upbringing, drink & drug problems,
her bipolar disorder, all make for candid entertainment.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #720
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
This arrived today:
The Princess Diarist - Carrie Fisher (A sort of memoir...)

I've only just finished reading:
Carrie Fisher - Wishful Drinking

At only 150 pages long, it took no time to read. Fishers words on her upbringing, drink & drug problems,
her bipolar disorder, all make for candid entertainment.
Isnt that the book where she came out and admitted having an affair with Harrison Ford during he filming of Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back?