Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #521
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient View Post
Honestly, all I can is say is if I were that pessimistic about collecting I would find another more rewarding hobby. I just can't see how it would be fun to see a new statue previewed, and from minute number 1 feel its going to be a failure/let down, but still consider myself a collector.

The anticipation and excitement of the reveal and the release is like half of the fun.

If you're not going to preorder it because you have no faith Sideshow can replicate this then either:

- Appreciate it as a singular piece of art.

- Just wait for it to ship and buy it or not then if it does/doesn't meet your standards. Subtract your negativity from the community.

Until then, and based on the prototype, there are only reasons to be excited and hopeful.
But that's not the hobby. Some people just collect Sideshow stuff, but a lot of us collect from other companies. When I buy figures from a lot of Japanese companies I never even think about quality control since it's rarely an issue.

I can't think positively about Sideshow because they don't deliver and have a poor reputation, to which they have definitely earned.

Just as you can't see it fun to be skeptical about a company that sucks, I can't see it fun to be optimistic and blindly preorder and buy things from a company known to not deliver. I would rather be skeptical and then see in hand photos that are awesome (then in excitement buy it and have a nice day) over buying something, have it come in hand as a disaster, and have to deal with the consequences.

One saves money and time. The other doesn't save you anything.
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #522
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

This discussion is so boring.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #523
enigmatikone
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

So preordering this.
Capturing her midstride, this is exactly the thing I want to see from creators, and Harbottle hit this out of the park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
When I buy figures from a lot of Japanese companies I never even think about quality control since it's rarely an issue.
Yes, if you're talking about Alter or Max Factory, sure! However, Kotobukiya's bishoujo sculpts often fail to live up to the Shunya Yamash1ta art and paint apps on some of their figures leaves a lot to be desired.

Good Smile QC is similarly hit/miss. GSC's Mikasa Ackerman, a very popular and highly anticipated Attack on Titan figure, was delayed for months, and the QC is still terrible.
I was forced to modify the figure and use super glue to assemble the piece just to display her. But hey, good thing I'll never want to put her back in the box, right?

No company is immune to bad quality control.
enigmatikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #524
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Feel free to leave? Can always just delete things you don't like too.
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #525
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:

Better?
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #526
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
I agree bags, complaining about QC from now seems crazy. So far it appears everyone has been quite pleased with Conan. Is it impossible that the same can't be done for this?
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:07 PM   #527
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Cool.

The good news is, the sculpt will be there even if the paint isn't up to snuff.
Yup!
But here is the problem - while people will be getting a superior sculpt regardless of the paint app, they will be paying a new premium for what should be a superior paint app as well.

The costs have really gotten out of hand with this stuff- especially at a time when China's economy is threatening to implode or at least contract severely.
Costs should be going down, not up.
That is my only gripe.

Also, it should be noted that none of these prototypes are actually made out of the same polystone that we will be getting on production pieces. IIRC, in a discussion of the Poison Ivy production piece vs the superior proto, someone made the comment (that I never seem to see repeated) that the substance used on these prototypes takes the paint in a different way than polystone would or ever could- that's one big reason the production pieces never look as nice- because they simply can't. Best they can ever be is an approximation.
That said, for this money, they should to be the absolute best approximation they can be.
pdenham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #528
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Yup!
But here is the problem - while people will be getting a superior sculpt regardless of the paint app, they will be paying a new premium for what should be a superior paint app as well.

The costs have really gotten out of hand with this stuff- especially at a time when China's economy is threatening to implode or at least contract severely.
Costs should be going down, not up.
That is my only gripe.

Also, it should be noted that none of these prototypes are actually made out of the same polystone that we will be getting on production pieces. IIRC, in a discussion of the Poison Ivy production piece vs the superior proto, someone made the comment (that I never seem to see repeated) that the substance used on these prototypes takes the paint in a different way than polystone would or ever could- that's one big reason the production pieces never look as nice- because they simply can't. Best they can ever be is an approximation.
That said, for this money, they should to be the absolute best approximation they can be.
Yeah, that's true. It wasn't a big deal for me to keep the first Sonja on the basis of the sculpt because it was 'only' $380; that would be a tougher pill to swallow on a $500 piece. The other thing is, the first Sonja had some excellent mixed media elements to lessen the blow of poor paint, whereas this one is all paint.

Interesting about about the different polystone used on prototypes. I don't think I've ever heard that before.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #529
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
Feel free to leave? Can always just delete things you don't like too.
Actually i think it is those who are so convinced sideshows QC is going to be so bad they should just say they arent interested and go on to a different thread or section. It almost seems like they are trying to convince others they shouldnt be buying and trying to suck the enthusiasm from the many who havent had issues with SS statues.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #530
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post

Better?
Much