Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #711
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage View Post
The truth is often harsh is it not?
Listen to ya..."They enjoyed it "well enough". Or Brie Larson Who you "would have liked" and felt "average at best"
There's a common theme here.
The movie would have made money regardless if it were good, bad or otherwise. It was riding on 20+ successful films prior to it..ten years of films which paved the way for it . Also it was ingeniously shoehorned in right before a very anticipated Avengers End Game. Audiences are under the impression it was necessary to view before Endgame, and would be pivotal to the plot. As for the soon to be defunct Marvel Comics, the characters they will be thrusting onto film fans like Cpt. Marvel are the same characters no one cares about and litter shelves of going out of business comic shops.
For the people backing lowering the bar and undermining the foundation of the once profitable comic franchise for early screenings or opening events or getting a "victory over trolls" ...you're to blame for the inevitable destruction of a hobby I've enjoyed for 35 years.
id say a new generation that’s more into video than overpriced comics is a large part of the current state of the comic industry. If it wasn’t for the movies I venture to say it would be even worse.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:51 PM   #712
built2shred
Phoenix

In the new Avengers trailer she looked out of place next to the rest of the cast.. If Marvel is hitching it's buggy to Brie and the Captain Marvel franchise for the next phase in the MCU, then I foresee choppy waters ahead... I can never see her becoming as popular as Thor, Captain America or Iron Man... And if that's who she's suppose to replace in future movies then yeah I'm not so sure that's going to work... her personality and acting is so bland I just can't see her leading the way..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:01 PM   #713
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
In the new Avengers trailer she looked out of place next to the rest of the cast.. If Marvel is hitching it's buggy to Brie and the Captain Marvel franchise for the next phase in the MCU, the I foresee choppy waters ahead... I can never see her becoming as popular as Thor, Captain America or Iron Man... And if that's who she's suppose to replace in future movies then yeah I'm not so sure that's going to work... her personality and acting is so bland I just can't see her leading the way..
well when she's paired with the amazing fan favorites such as America Chavez and Ms. Marvel she's going to look like an absolute super-star my friend.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:21 PM   #714
markuz30
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

The movie was just OK. No "WOW" Factor in it.
markuz30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:09 AM   #715
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
It's a Marvel movie, it was going to do good regardless of who played the main character... As someone else mentioned most people feel like they need to see this before Avengers Endgame so that's a huge boost to tickets.... If it didn't have that kind of boost I doubt it would of gone past the $700 million mark...
This is what compelled me to see it. I thought I needed to see it to help with the transition from Infinity War to Endgame. As I’ve mentioned already, to me it felt like a filler film at best. A good film but nothing spectacular. Not truly spectacular like Marvel’s Avengers, Winter Soldier or Dark Knight. It just generally felt flat, even if it didn’t completely fall flat.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:10 AM   #716
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage View Post
The truth is often harsh is it not?
Listen to ya..."They enjoyed it "well enough". Or Brie Larson Who you "would have liked" and felt "average at best"
There's a common theme here.
The movie would have made money regardless if it were good, bad or otherwise. It was riding on 20+ successful films prior to it..ten years of films which paved the way for it . Also it was ingeniously shoehorned in right before a very anticipated Avengers End Game. Audiences are under the impression it was necessary to view before Endgame, and would be pivotal to the plot. As for the soon to be defunct Marvel Comics, the characters they will be thrusting onto film fans like Cpt. Marvel are the same characters no one cares about and litter shelves of going out of business comic shops.
For the people backing lowering the bar and undermining the foundation of the once profitable comic franchise for early screenings or opening events or getting a "victory over trolls" ...you're to blame for the inevitable destruction of a hobby I've enjoyed for 35 years.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:13 AM   #717
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

For almost the price of a comic book, I'm still going to see it. As long as it entertains me for 2 hours, I'm good. My better half and I watch a lot of foreign films for the story lines and Marvel for good effects and entertainment. I guess it's what you want out of the movie. And, the generation that they're catering to really don't read comics so a lot of what matters to us is meaningless to them. I do agree though that if they move to B characters for movies as a change of pace, the writing will need to get better. Hell, I really didn't even enjoy IM2, the one with Mickey Rourke. Really? He was your villain of choice?
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:05 AM   #718
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

If you want to be entertained for 2 hours you can defenitely go see this movie. Nothing wrong with it.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:40 AM   #719
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
well when she's paired with the amazing fan favorites such as America Chavez and Ms. Marvel she's going to look like an absolute super-star my friend.
Are they really fan favorites, though?
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #720
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Are they really fan favorites, though?
I'm a fan and Ms. Marvel is my favorite. Isn't she more popular than Carol Danvers in comics ? even sells better ?
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote