Old 02-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #91
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Well you are getting up there in years.

I've never heard of him either. *I turn 40 next month*

So true!

P.S. You'll absolutely love your 40s! Once you get past the few grays, you get into this comfortable stride with life (i.e., I'm still in my 40s, btw). So many questions about life in general have been answered. You can really have fun.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:03 PM   #92
pavehawk78
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
So true!

P.S. You'll absolutely love your 40s! Once you get past the few grays, you get into this comfortable stride with life. So many questions about life in general have been answered. You can really have fun.
That's funny. I got my first gray hairs my senior year of high school. I'm 37 and am at least half gray.
pavehawk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:42 AM   #93
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Truth be told, hearing of Nick's prices did spur me to start this thread.

No knock on him - he must have a strong fan base if people are filling up his list at that price.

I think the conversation is broader to the continued trend in increasing prices for commissions.

Also interesting to see what other's expect for that price point, which is pretty consistent with what I also had in mind.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:46 AM   #94
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post

No knock on him - he must have a strong fan base if people are filling up his list at that price.

I think the conversation is broader to the continued trend in increasing prices for commissions.

Also interesting to see what other's expect for that price point, which is pretty consistent with what I also had in mind.
Ah, interesting.

So what do you get from Nick for $1K? Single figure? Multiple figures? Pencils? Inks? background? 11x17?

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #95
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

ha. no idea. i'll be on the lookout to see what people are getting for that price point.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:13 PM   #96
FelixComicArt
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:

Yes. The market is the market. I will say, though, that published art has far outpaced commissions over the 10 years I've been collecting. When I started collecting, I could get a nice vintage published piece for the cost of 3-4 commissions. More often than not, I decided to get the published piece. These days, it's more like 10-15 commissions to get a comparable vintage published piece. So I'm getting more commissions now than published art.

I would say that the general trend of increasing values for comic art as a whole, has an impact on the commission subset.

As to what collector's expect for the price point, obviously, that's going to vary from artist to artist. $1K is an easy number to fixate on, but as others have pointed out, it's not a number that carries the same value for every artist. You're going to get more for your $1K from some artists than others. Again, the market at work.
FelixComicArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #97
FelixComicArt

Quote:
ha. no idea. i'll be on the lookout to see what people are getting for that price point.
I will tweet them as they come in, and post scans on my site when they're all done.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #98
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasiatoyz View Post
I will tweet them as they come in, and post scans on my site when they're all done.
Looking forward to them Felix. What are the details for these commissions? Size? Characters? Inks? BG?

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:34 PM   #99
FelixComicArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Looking forward to them Felix. What are the details for these commissions? Size? Characters? Inks? BG?
Single character on 11X14 art board. Background at Nick's discretion. Pen, ink, tones.

When I took his first list a couple of years ago, the rate was $200. Since then, he's been refining his style for commissions. The art has evolved, he likes mixing things up, but the downside is that the commissions take a lot longer than they used to. Coupled with increased demand as EAST OF WEST continues to be a popular book, and the market is what is today.

(I've had a print ad campaign running in EoW for several months, and I got a lot of newbies from that. Including a few surprising celebrity fans. So that accounts for some of the increased demand, as well.)

I would say these are representative samples:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/Gallery...566&From=Title

This was a two character piece that cost more:

I shot a video with Nick while he drew a commission a couple of weeks ago. It took the better part of a day. I'll have it edited and on YouTube in March/April so everyone can check out his process. I'll post a link here at that time.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #100
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I want to chime in and say that I like the way Felix does business. The price is what it is, and Felix is very upfront about what you get at a particular price point, which isn't always true of other folks I've dealt with
aric is offline   Reply With Quote